PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone taken welchol?

mommylamb
12-21-2012, 12:02 PM
I had my bloodwork done last week, and went for my follow up appointment yesterday, and not surprisingly, my cholesterol is sky high. I have a family history of high cholesterol, and was on statins before TTC with DS2. I've been off statins since October 2010. I am not particularly overweight (yes, I'd like to lose 10 lbs, but I'm not too bad), and when I've lost weight in the past, it hasn't impacted my cholesterol at all. My doc thinks it's totally something in my genes and the only thing I can do about it is medication (though of course she encourages healthy diet/exercise). Since I've decided to stop breastfeeding, I guess I'm free to go back on meds.

Anyway, I'd like to avoid taking a statin if possible. A friend of mine's husband is taking Welchol, and I got my doc to prescribe that for me. I am intrigued by it because it is also used to help glucose absorption and I had GD while I was pregnant with DS2, though I'm no longer diabetic. Anyway, I'm interested in knowing whether anyone else has taken Welchol, and whether it worked for you.

The other thing I like about the idea of Welchol is that it works in your intestines, not your liver, so it doesn't have an adverse impact on liver function.