PDA

View Full Version : Gardening 101 resources? City dweller buys farm.

buttercup
12-21-2012, 01:24 PM
I've lived in apartments all my life but am buying a little farmhouse with a couple of acres. I am looking for a number of basic resources, such as "This is the sort of fence you build to fend off deer and other creatures (how deep does it need to go for the animals that crawl underneath, berry bushes on one side, tomatoes on the other, etc.
So far my gardening experince has been limited to containers and a very haphazard tiny city plot. Many thanks all.

brittone2
12-21-2012, 02:55 PM
I would buy the Encyclopedia of Country Living (many libraries carry this if you want to check it out first).

Square foot gardening and Lasagne Gardening books are both good if you want to start smaller.

You have more land, but I bought this for DH for Christmas, as we're considering buying a small farmette one day. Probably still some relevant tidbits if you are starting from scratch.
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Farming-Self-Sufficiency-Brett-Markham/dp/1602399840/ref=pd_sim_b_6

Hobby Farm Home is a fun magazine

eta: don't forget to access your local cooperative extension office! They are a great resource for info on native plants (eta: and garden plants, etc. in general), they often have master gardeners who can give you wonderful info and tips, master gardeners can help ID certain plant diseases or issues and tell you how to remedy them...all kinds of things. Cooperative Extension offices will help you calibrate a canner and teach classes on things like canning and so forth...lots of useful tips and nice to learn the right way from someone skilled. If you have local farmers' markets with friendly local farmers, once you get to know them they can often be a great resource too. Pick their brains...they've done all of the homework already.

daisymommy
12-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Oh how fun! :love-retry: That is my dream. I'm so excited for you!

I have some books and blogs I will post later that I enjoy reading.

buttercup
12-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Thank you Beth, great resources. Is that magazine similar to Grit? I subscribed to that recently. Many thanks again

StantonHyde
12-21-2012, 03:50 PM
I was going to point you to the Extension office as well. They will come test your soil and provide many services, pamphlets etc for free or very low cost. They are awesome!!!

FSUMama
12-21-2012, 03:54 PM
I've found the best resource for gardening has been other local gardeners. See if any local plant stores offer workshops. Look for local blogs/books or agriculture extension offices for any state universities. Gardening issues can be so unique for different geographic area so locals often have the best suggestions. Good luck and have fun!