PDA

View Full Version : what would you give? Work gifts

hillview
12-21-2012, 03:51 PM
I need to give about 9 people a gift for work. Price is about$100 each

It NEEDS to be from Amazon.

Ideas?

Paperwhite kindle (figure they can give it to a child or other person if they don't want it?)

Other ideas? the team is a mix of men and women
- single guy 30s (no kids)
- married guy 40s (with 2 kids)
- newly married guy 30s (no kids)
- married woman with 2 kids late 30s
- single woman 40s
- married guy in 40s with 2 kids
- 2xmarried woman in early 30s, no kids
- married guy no kids 40s

Thanks!

egoldber
12-21-2012, 04:05 PM
I think a paperwhite would be a terrific gift.

wellyes
12-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Paperwhite is a great idea. Many people would love to get one or have one to give as a gift to someone else. I'd give one to everyone.
FWIW Kindles were the go-to retirement gift in my office for the past few years. The other gift frequently given was jewelry, but, that's a lot more complicated in terms of style, value, etc.

acmom
12-21-2012, 09:28 PM

:yeahthat: DH and I would both like that gift- it would get used by someone in our family for sure!

SnuggleBuggles
12-21-2012, 09:40 PM

:yeahthat:

happymommyof2
12-21-2012, 11:12 PM
It's a great gift. DH's work gave him a kindle one year for Christmas and we love it.

ahisma
12-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Kindle, definitely.

TwinFoxes
12-22-2012, 12:34 AM
I'm not sure the Paperwhites are available for Christmas delivery. Can you get them somewhere else? I do agree that seems perfect.

How about a Keurig with gift receipt? I know not everyone drinks coffee, but they have other K-cups available. Plus, with 9 people, it will be hard to please everyone!

mommytotwo
12-22-2012, 12:38 AM
A gift card or gift basket seems to go over well.

jenstring95
12-22-2012, 12:50 AM
I think a Kindle is a great gift. I will say, however, that when I first read this whole thread I somehow missed the "kindle" part and read "paperwhite" as "paperweight". In every post. I couldn't believe so many people thought a $100 paperweight was a good gift! :rotflmao:

KLD313
12-22-2012, 01:00 AM
I think a Kindle is a great gift. I will say, however, that when I first read this whole thread I somehow missed the "kindle" part and read "paperwhite" as "paperweight". In every post. I couldn't believe so many people thought a $100 paperweight was a good gift! :rotflmao:

LOL! I missed the kindle part, too and thought she meant paper white flowers. My mom always had them at Christmas time and I was thinking how do they cost $100 and they smell bad.

hillview
12-22-2012, 08:54 AM
thanks all I did the kindle HOWEVER amazon limits you to ordering 2. So i ordered the 119 and the 139 ones and ordered a woman who I know best some other kitchen and kid stuff.

hellokitty
12-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Wow, you are a great gift giver for ppl at work and I'm sure they realize that you put some thought into it. I am still stinging from what dh got from work as his xmas gift.

doberbrat
12-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Wow, you are a great gift giver for ppl at work and I'm sure they realize that you put some thought into it. I am still stinging from what dh got from work as his xmas gift.
awe, c'mon share.... :hug:

KrisM
12-22-2012, 10:26 AM
I imagine they'll all be thrilled!

We've never received a present from a co-worker or supervisor at Christmas. I think that's awesome that you're doing something!

hellokitty
12-22-2012, 02:38 PM
awe, c'mon share.... :hug:

He got unpacked cookies (not homemade) thrown into a gift bag (the cookies were not in any packaging, so like loose cookies). It probably cost about $2, if that. When DH brought it home, the cookies were in a ziplock bag and I was like, "they didn't even bother to buy packaged cookies this yr, but put them in a ziplock?" Basically, in the 10 yrs he's worked here, it's gotten worse and worse. He was like, "Oh no, the ziplock bag is mine, from my office desk, the cookies were just thrown into the gift bag without any packaging." I threw them out, b/c that's just gross. He works at a hospital on a small team of employees who only work under one surgeon and the gift has always been bad, but this yr it was really insulting. Who the hell throws a bunch of unwrapped cookies into a gift bag without the cookies being packaged in anything, as a gift? All I know is that if the doctor who gave that gift, were given that gift, he would have been really insulted, so it is irritating to me that he felt it was ok to give this to his surgical team, which makes it obvious how unimportant he thinks that they really are and this guy is no peach to deal with. At other places dh has always gotten a gift $50+, this is the first place he's worked where it's been this bad, and I'm not usually one to really care much about this kind of stuff. However, I'd rather not get anything if it means getting a bunch of possibly diseased cookies, kwim? I can't believe my dh was going to let our kids eat those cookies, ugh.

hillview
12-22-2012, 03:59 PM
He got unpacked cookies (not homemade) thrown into a gift bag (the cookies were not in any packaging, so like loose cookies). It probably cost about $2, if that. When DH brought it home, the cookies were in a ziplock bag and I was like, "they didn't even bother to buy packaged cookies this yr, but put them in a ziplock?" Basically, in the 10 yrs he's worked here, it's gotten worse and worse. He was like, "Oh no, the ziplock bag is mine, from my office desk, the cookies were just thrown into the gift bag without any packaging." I threw them out, b/c that's just gross. He works at a hospital on a small team of employees who only work under one surgeon and the gift has always been bad, but this yr it was really insulting. Who the hell throws a bunch of unwrapped cookies into a gift bag without the cookies being packaged in anything, as a gift? All I know is that if the doctor who gave that gift, were given that gift, he would have been really insulted, so it is irritating to me that he felt it was ok to give this to his surgical team, which makes it obvious how unimportant he thinks that they really are and this guy is no peach to deal with. At other places dh has always gotten a gift $50+, this is the first place he's worked where it's been this bad, and I'm not usually one to really care much about this kind of stuff. However, I'd rather not get anything if it means getting a bunch of possibly diseased cookies, kwim? I can't believe my dh was going to let our kids eat those cookies, ugh.

ewww. If it makes you feel better, DH wouldn't have done anything for his office. I got them all for him ... sigh.

hellokitty
12-22-2012, 07:19 PM
ewww. If it makes you feel better, DH wouldn't have done anything for his office. I got them all for him ... sigh.

Lol, yeah, well this surgeon, his wife is a physician too and she is involved with the gift giving too. So, their two heads together came up with this great gift. What sucks is that the staff all pitch in $20 each to get the surgeon and two anesthesiologists each a ham every christmas. At least the two anesthesiologists are more generous.

blisstwins
12-22-2012, 08:34 PM
My husband is a physician. Office staff got 1k bonus+$200 gift cards. Your surgeon is super cheap.