PDA

View Full Version : Help for cracked fingers?

twowhat?
12-21-2012, 04:06 PM
The skin on my MIL's fingers is awful...dry, cracked...she uses moisturizer religiously, that AM lactin or whatever it's called lotion, and salves, and uses gloves religiously for dishwashing, prepping food but still ends up with bandaids due to the cracking.

Anyone know of anything that might help? Preferably something I could get in a B&M store?

m448
12-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Straight up unrefined Shea butter. Most mainstream salves use petrolatum bases which isn't great and lotions on cracked skin burn. Shea butter is soothing, healing and moisturizing. I buy mine from lotion crafter or mountain rose herbs.

BabyH
12-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Shea butter is wonderful, but check out the line CJ's Butter available at www.sweetbottomsbaby.com (free shipping!) It's AMAZING stuff. Additionally, there's something I get for DH at the local feed store called "Working Hands" and it literally works in minutes -- http://www.amazon.com/OKeeffes-Working-Hands-Cream-3-4/dp/B00121UVU0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1356121372&sr=8-2&keywords=relief+hand+cream

ECUPirateMom
12-21-2012, 04:32 PM
Shea butter is wonderful, but check out the line CJ's Butter available at www.sweetbottomsbaby.com (free shipping!) It's AMAZING stuff. Additionally, there's something I get for DH at the local feed store called "Working Hands" and it literally works in minutes -- http://www.amazon.com/OKeeffes-Working-Hands-Cream-3-4/dp/B00121UVU0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1356121372&sr=8-2&keywords=relief+hand+cream

working hands is a miracle!!!!!

Sent from my SGH-T989

mackmama
12-21-2012, 05:03 PM
aquaphor!

nmosur
12-21-2012, 05:36 PM
For it to truly heal, she needs to see a dermatologist for a prescription. Olux (I think) foam was what I was prescribed. After having issues with cracked fingers for almost a year (constant hand washing when DD was much younger) it was the only thing that really healed my hands. Shea butter, Aquafor, olive oil, coconut oil and even crisco were just temporary.

Pinky
12-21-2012, 11:37 PM
I use aquaphor (ointment) and it works really well. I just reapply it throughout the day and it helps.

SASM
12-21-2012, 11:50 PM
I second the recommendation to see a dermatologist, as she might have an underlying condition.

When I want to give my hands a break from the prescription ointments, I tend to use either Aquaphor or Eucerin with occlusion at night. I buy a TON of the cheap cloth gloves from the Dollar Tree and toss them after a few washes. If it bothers her to wear the gloves just snip the very tip off the gloves, just to give her a little wiggle room yet still enough to cover the entire finger. Good luck!!!

ETA: I also really like Cerave, which is sold at Walmart (last I checked, Target discontinued it). A lot of dermatologists have manufacturer's coupons for this brand as well.

kristenk
12-22-2012, 12:19 AM
Does she drink enough water? Drinking more water probably won't solve the problem, but it might help a bit.

sste
12-22-2012, 12:20 AM
Gloves in a bottle. Miracle product!

maestramommy
12-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Dh got something called O'Keefe's Working Hands from Lowes. It comes in a shallow can and is green. We like it because it absorbs quickly and doesn't leave your skin greasy or sticky. I also like Neutrogena Hand Cream. You can tell how dry your skin is by how white it looks at first when you rub it in (it fills in all the cracks:p). The last think you might try is the vegetable oil based Crisco. I am currently using it for something other than hands but it was recommended as the best moisturizer out there. No smell, no residue, absorbs quickly. Cheap too!

twowhat?
12-22-2012, 11:06 AM
I've never heard of Working Hands before but the reviews and pics on Amazon are amazing so I bought a tub for her to try. Thanks all!!! I'll update if it works:)

Minnifer
12-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Huh. Working Hands doesn't do anything much for me except in the moment - i.e., doesn't actually help solve the issue. Neither does Cerave or most of anything else mentioned here yet.

I'm going to try Gloves in a Bottle since I haven't yet and am getting pretty desperate. There used to be something at Vermont Country Store that folks liked but I don't remember the name and can't find it on their site (would recognize it if I saw it) or on any thread here...

pastrygirl
12-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Working Hands works great for me! I get cracked finger tips all winter long. I put it on at night and usually by morning it's much better. After a couple of days, the cracks have sealed up.

Meatball Mommie
12-22-2012, 03:44 PM
I bought something at Restoration Hardware of all places...it's called "No Crack" ;) It's basically a thick cream and I use it for my feet in the winter. I imagine the Working Hands is similar though. Good luck!