PDA

View Full Version : Ignore list BBB

mackmama
12-21-2012, 05:36 PM
S/O of another thread that I saw... It sounds like it's possible to put people on an ignore list so that you don't see their posts. I'm just curious - why do that? I don't really understand being so bothered by seeing a certain person's posts that I'd want to put them on an ignore list. (Maybe I'm being naive?)

vonfirmath
12-21-2012, 05:54 PM
So you don't get so angry you post things you regret?

I haven't done it often. But occasionally there is a poster who I find gets me riled up everytime I read their posts. It is much better for the tone of the board that I put that person on ignore than that I post in reply.

wifecat
12-21-2012, 06:10 PM

I haven't done it often. But occasionally there is a poster who I find gets me riled up everytime I read their posts. It is much better for the tone of the board that I put that person on ignore than that I post in reply.

How does that work? Like, do you not see threads they start, or do you then not see anything they post? Just curious. I stay away from controversial threads, in general (hehe...on the board and in real life!).

SnuggleBuggles
12-21-2012, 06:14 PM
There are a few posters that I have "ignored" because, for some reason or another, they just make me feel argumentative. It's not worth that nor is it worth getting sucked into actually writing a reply (or composing in my head what I'd say if I had no filter). Usually I can't take the "suspense" and I read their posts anyway. There tend to be only a few hot button issues that I get sucked into by some people and the rest of the time I like their posts.

eagle
12-21-2012, 06:16 PM
im kind of immature and being able to ignore posts helps me appear like im mature to others.

if i dont see it, i cant get irritated.

its childish, yes, but the board is a more pleasant experience for me.

i really, really appreciate the ability.

HannaAddict
12-21-2012, 11:29 PM
If only life were so simple as putting people on the ignore list!

squimp
12-21-2012, 11:42 PM
I guess you have never had people who make your blood pressure rise with every post they make. I agree - if only real life were so simple!

crl
12-21-2012, 11:50 PM

:yeahthat:

Catherine

fedoragirl
12-22-2012, 10:14 AM
I've never used this function because I forgot it existed. Although, like SnuggleBuggles, I would probably be too curious to read their posts or responses.
I like having this option. I really dislike the option of rating a post because it tends to lead to cyber bullying. I am on another board that does this and it drives me crazy.

ellies mom
12-22-2012, 03:40 PM
On Ravelry, we have the option of ignoring a user. But we also have the option of changing their avatar to a green square that says "Disagree" (you can also change avatars that you don't like to a picture of yarn). Rather than ignoring someone, I tend to change their avatar to "disagree" so that I'm reminded that this person is likely to push my buttons. There are only a handful of people that I've "Disagreed"

I don't have anyone on ignore here because while I may not agree with what everyone says, there is no one that I am consistently disgusted with enough to hide everything they have to say.

vonfirmath
12-24-2012, 11:23 AM
How does that work? Like, do you not see threads they start, or do you then not see anything they post? Just curious. I stay away from controversial threads, in general (hehe...on the board and in real life!).

You can't see their posts. If they start a thread, then you won't get the post when your mouse strays over it either.

You always have the option to take them off ignore and read. But I seem to be able to avoid the temptation when I remember that folks on ignore are put there for a reason.

nicepersonfl
12-24-2012, 11:56 AM
I have a couple of people on ignore - mainly because of nasty comments towards/about a friend of mine. I have no interest in reading anything of theirs & could care less what they think is important. The 1 and only time I clicked on "read post" of an ignored person, it only reminded me why I put them on ignore in the 1st place.

Thankfully most people here have something insightful and nice to say.