PDA

View Full Version : Easy hors d'oeuvre/appetizer recipes needed - please share yours

Hemlock
12-21-2012, 07:43 PM
We are having a party of Christmas Eve. It will mostly be family, but we have also invited some friends and neighbours to drop by. Some guests bring something to share, but I make most of the food. With a high maintenance 7 month old (and weeks of housecleaning to catch up on), I need some easy hors d'oeuvre/appetizer recipes. Can be hot or cold. Anything that can be made up in advance is a bonus!

Thanks

WitMom
12-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Spinach dip, served with crackers,chunks of bread, various raw vegetables. I make the one on the back of the Knorr vegetable soup packet. Gosh I'm craving that now.

brittone2
12-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Crackers and a few cheeses...lots of good info online on building a nice cheese platter. You can also look at pinterest for ideas like arranging cheese, grape tomatoes, etc. in the shape of a Christmas tree.

I usually do a baked brie (sometimes en croute, sometimes not). Can top with jam, a drizzle of honey or maple syrup, or nuts

I make crab dip for either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day pretty often.

Spinach artichoke is good too...there are some easy recipes online or you can buy premade from costco. Serve with tortilla chips, crostini, chunks of bread, or celery

Nice olives

crudite

cucumber salted and drained a bit, then top with cream cheese and a little smoked salmon. Can add fresh chives or dill

caprese salad (looks Christmas-y) or grape tomato with mozzerella balls and basil leaves on a skewer

Shrimp (can buy a precooked shrimp ring from Costco or similar)

I usually do a mix of store bought and a few homemade items so I have time to relax a bit

anonomom
12-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Hummus and pita are always good.

Thinly-sliced salami, spread with cream cheese and rolled around a sprig of cilantro. This takes some prep, but it goes by quickly and can be done ahead of time.

bisous
12-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Bacon wrapped asparagus? It is always a hit when I bring it. I just wash asparagus, cut it into short lengths and wrap bacon around it and pin it. I put it in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes (maybe less...I need to time myself one of these times--just watch it!)

Twoboos
12-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Cranberry Brie Bites! So easy and delish - they are always a huge hit.

Cranberry Brie Bites - Makes 18 Brie Bites
ingredients
1 jar Stonewall Kitchen Apple Cranberry Chutney
2 puff pastry sheets (EASIER: Premade pastry cups, in frozen section, I use Athens Fillo Shells)
1 Brie triangle, chilled

directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
-Cut puff pastry sheets into approximately 3 inch squares and place into mini muffin tins, pressing them into the shape of the tin. (EASIER: Place cups onto baking sheet.)
-Place a 1 inch slice of brie in the center of the pastry and top with 1 Tbsp Stonewall Kitchen Apple Cranberry Chutney.
-Bake 10 minutes or until pastry corners are toasted light brown. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.

SnuggleBuggles
12-21-2012, 09:22 PM
It's called Trader Joe's. easy and tasty. :)

I like little mozzarella balls, grape tomatoes and a small basil leaf on a toothpick with some olive oil and salt and pepper.

Baked Brie (Brie, puff pastry and jam) is good too.

3blackcats
12-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Frozen meatballs of any kind, I like turkey, with bbq sauce in a crock pot. Pretty easy :)

Devilled(sp?) eggs

Queso dip in a small crock pot with breads and chips for dipping.

Aishe
12-21-2012, 10:33 PM
I was at Trader Joe's today and they were serving something that I want to say was called Pastry Bites. It was little puff pastry cups filled with ham and cheeses. It was SO good. I would not be at all ashamed to serve that at a party.

Drag0nflygirl
12-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Spinach dip, served with crackers,chunks of bread, various raw vegetables. I make the one on the back of the Knorr vegetable soup packet. Gosh I'm craving that now.
Even easier, buy a batch of the stuff ready made, and buy a round loaf of bread. Hollow that sucker out, put the dip in and tear up the inside for dipping. Place on a nice round platter, and there you have it.

urquie
12-21-2012, 11:24 PM
Costco or TJ's meatballs, heated in a crockpot or stovetop, with a jar of grape jelly and a jar of chili sauce (Heinz brand, found near ketchup). Sounds weird but it's great and easy!

http://www.heinzchilisauce.com/

Sweetum
12-22-2012, 12:44 AM
not super easy i think, but can be made ahead:
http://freshcatering.blogspot.com/2007/01/asparagus-phyllo-appetizers.html