PDA

View Full Version : 18 inch dolls besides AG

Mommy2Two
12-21-2012, 10:25 PM
My DD1 is turning 6 and asked for a big doll- 18 inch. She is not ready for AG yet, as DD2 is not old enough and it is above my budget.

Are there good alternatives to AG? Preferably a doll that can sit. Would love to know where to find clothe too.

KrisM
12-21-2012, 10:28 PM
There are a lot of options. Target, Walmart and TRU all have their own brands of 18" dolls that are similar to AG. The clothes aren't always interchangeable, as some are thinner and some are thicker in the body.

ang79
12-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Do you have a Tuesday Morning near you? Someone on here reported a week or two ago that they had the My Generation dolls (or whatever is sold at Target) for $15 and clothing and accessories too. I've seen the Target dolls go on end of season clearance (Aug. and Jan.) for around $15-$20 too. And I think Kohls carries the My Generation, or another version.

mik8
12-21-2012, 10:33 PM
And I recommend a doll hair brush as one of the "must have" accessory whatever you decide to get. I think those Generation dolls at Target are good. Have you tried Craigslist? I just recently bought an AG doll for $40.

SASM
12-21-2012, 10:35 PM
There are a lot of options. Target, Walmart and TRU all have their own brands of 18" dolls that are similar to AG. The clothes aren't always interchangeable, as some are thinner and some are thicker in the body.
I second the clothing advice. AG dolls have a bigger booty than the Target dolls. I WILL say though that the Target dolls hair is a MESS right out of the box. Doesn't matter how careful your child is with the hair, it is a HEADACHE!! Same goes for the Target OG horses. L( The AG dolls were worth it just for the hair, as DD1 doesn' really play with/dress up her doll but she DOES like to brush and style her hair. Good luck! Maybe you can find a used AG on Craigslist?? I think the hair quality will be the same for all of the chain store dolls.

Mommy2Two
12-21-2012, 10:43 PM
I did purchase the Marie-Gracie during the AG sale but know for sure the the doll will be destroyed in a matter of days. And don't want to see the doll ruined. So my thought was to get a similar type of a doll this time around and hold on to the AG doll till the girls are a little older.

designermv
12-21-2012, 11:20 PM
I did purchase the Marie-Gracie during the AG sale but know for sure the the doll will be destroyed in a matter of days. And don't want to see the doll ruined. So my thought was to get a similar type of a doll this time around and hold on to the AG doll till the girls are a little older.

The doll is for your 6-year old, right? The AG dolls are very good quality. I can't imagine that a 6-year old would destroy it at all, let alone in days. My older daughter got her first AG doll when she turned 4, and she's in great condition (and my older daughter is now 8). If you already have Marie-Grace from the sale, I'd go ahead and give it to her.

KrisM
12-21-2012, 11:31 PM
In what way do you think she'll destroy the doll? If she is so destructive with toys, I wonder if any doll is a good idea.

We only have AG dolls, so I'm not sure what knock-off is the best quality. I'd probalby pick the one I think my DD would like best.

SASM
12-21-2012, 11:32 PM
The doll is for your 6-year old, right? The AG dolls are very good quality. I can't imagine that a 6-year old would destroy it at all, let alone in days. My older daughter got her first AG doll when she turned 4, and she's in great condition (and my older daughter is now 8). If you already have Marie-Grace from the sale, I'd go ahead and give it to her.
:yeahthat: Don't waste your money on a cheaper doll if you already have an AG doll. You can apply that $30 towards doll hospital fix-ups if need be down the road. ;) Seriously...it's all about the hair and your sanity... ;)

Mommy2Two
12-21-2012, 11:50 PM
The younger one is 3.5 and they play with the same toys. She is rough with toys and the ones we have are a total mess. In a bin with toys somewhere. I think AG will be ruined for sure. I just think I will stress too much over it and would rather avoid that with a cheaper doll.

doberbrat
12-22-2012, 12:29 AM
there is a thread somewhere about comparing knockoffs - I think it was in bargains and I linked to it in toys (or whatever that forum is called)

I got dd2 one of the kohls dolls. It came to about $16 which is what I wanted to spend for a just turned 3yo. Looks pretty good in box....

The dolls at Tuesday Morning were a little more expensive I thought... maybe $30? but they did have some fun clothes/accessories that were pretty reasonable.

g'luck!