PDA

View Full Version : What is your holiday card recipricol rate?

SASM
12-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Just curious... I LOVE sending out holiday cards because we live away from home and have moved A LOT. Our older family members love getting our cards/letters, plus we have family and friends scattered all over. The sad thing is that we generally only get a 25% return on the cards. I know that A LOT of people do not send out cards, especially the older population, but I am just curious...WHAT IS YOUR RECIPRICOL RATE?

WatchingThemGrow
12-21-2012, 11:00 PM
Not sure yet, but we got about 20 yesterday and today. I felt the urge to buck up and send out the rest of ours! I'd done about 60 and another 40 fell by the wayside when we moved on BF. Of course, they'll be late now, but whatever.

My guess is that the rate of reciprocity is about 70%.

BDKmom
12-21-2012, 11:00 PM
Right now I'm at about 30%. I expect 1-2 more and that's about it. We have a large extended family, and I can't send to one without sending to all, but most of them don't send out cards.

SnuggleBuggles
12-21-2012, 11:11 PM
I'd say 75%

momof2girls
12-21-2012, 11:26 PM
I'm guessing around 90%.

SASM
12-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Right now I'm at about 30%. I expect 1-2 more and that's about it. We have a large extended family, and I can't send to one without sending to all, but most of them don't send out cards.
That's our situation, too... :)

SASM
12-21-2012, 11:27 PM
I'd say 75%
Wow, Beth!! How many do you send out?? That's impressive!!

SASM
12-21-2012, 11:27 PM
I'm guessing around 90%.
REALLY?? How many do you send out??

wifecat
12-21-2012, 11:43 PM
Previously, ours has been low. Really, really, low. So, this year I made just enough for those that HAD to get one. Then, I'm seeing who we get cards from and we'll send out New Year's cards to reciprocate.

I'll take the reciprocal list from this year plus the "just have to's even without reciprocation" and that will be our xmas list next year.

I know it sounds anal but...well, I am.

SASM
12-22-2012, 12:48 AM
Previously, ours has been low. Really, really, low. So, this year I made just enough for those that HAD to get one. Then, I'm seeing who we get cards from and we'll send out New Year's cards to reciprocate.

I'll take the reciprocal list from this year plus the "just have to's even without reciprocation" and that will be our xmas list next year.

I know it sounds anal but...well, I am.

Then I am right there with you bc that is generally what I do. ;) My issue this year was that I didn't find my 2011 list until after I finished the cards. It was NOT fun trying to formulate a list from the 2010 list...holy cow frustrating!

SnuggleBuggles
12-22-2012, 12:55 AM
Wow, Beth!! How many do you send out?? That's impressive!!

I just do 50.

belovedgandp
12-22-2012, 01:13 AM
Stats this year:

160 sent
60 received
20 expected

So 50% - I cut about 20 before sending this year. I just reviewed the list and I need to highlight now and will take out another 20 or so next year. There are at least 30-40 on the list that are family or otherwise feel required to send to regardless.

SASM
12-22-2012, 01:15 AM
I just do 50.

That's the trick!! I sooo wish that I could just do 50! Feel too obligated to send out more.

LexyLou
12-22-2012, 01:24 AM
I'm guessing around 90%.

Us too.

We send out about 125, and get back well over 100.

The only ones we don't get back are our older family members and some couples or non married friends who don't send cards.

twowhat?
12-22-2012, 10:57 AM
I send about 50 and get back about 10. I don't expect to get a lot back though...it's mostly friends with younger kids that send cards. My friends with older kids tend to not do it every year, if at all.

maestramommy
12-22-2012, 10:58 AM
In general it's 100%. Okay with the exception of my parents and other relatives in their generation. But among younger family and friends it's 100%.

TxCat
12-22-2012, 11:22 AM
We're less than 30% - I sent out 75, and we received about 20. However about 10 of those include DH's work colleagues who I don't expect cards from, as well as DH's parents and grandmother. Actually, none of his relatives have sent us cards - I think a few of them do New Year's cards and post-Christmas cards. Also, our single friends and childless friends don't seem to do cards. Now that I'm thinking about this, I'm amazed we received any cards!

happy2bamom
12-22-2012, 11:26 AM
We send out 100 and probably get about 20 back. If I can get myself organized, I"m going to take note of who actually sends us cards this year and they will be the ones that receive cards next year. It's just too expensive to send out so many. Especially when we get so few in return. I also think that FB allows us to stay more connected to people throughout the year so the cards aren't as necessary (IMO)

123LuckyMom
12-22-2012, 11:48 AM
We also send out 100 (102 to be exact.) this is our honed down list from about 150. We probably get about 30 back. I don't keep track or display cards, so my count may be inaccurate. It's fine by me, though.

We send cards to a lot of my parents' friends. My mother doesn't do cards, and she's terrible at keeping in touch with people. My dad was renowned for remembering every birthday, anniversary, and special occasion. He got the dates right even when the couples themselves did not! He passed away in 2005, and my sister and I tried to keep up with all his kind calls, but there were just too many. I see sending cards to the most important of these folks as my little contribution towards honoring his memory. I send the cards to those of his friends with whom I, personally, had a relationship. Many of those folks are Jewish. We also send cards to my husband's family members, few of whom do their own cards.

I know the people to whom we send cards are glad to get them, because several have called to thank us and tell us how much it means to them. I don't think anyone is getting our card and saying, "Why do these people keep contacting us?" :)

It can be expensive, but I think it's worth it. In fact, as I'm writing this, I'm considering adding a bunch of people back in next year. If we can get that 75% off deal from cardstore.com each year (we got 50% this year), it wouldn't even be that much more expensive.

kristac
12-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Wow. I am out of the game. I sent out 10. Received 6 in return and another 2 from other people that I did not send to.

sste
12-22-2012, 11:59 AM
I think it is around 75%. But, like the OP, it isn't about the rate for us . . . heck, I am happy people are willing to put up with me plastering cards with pictures of my adorable rugrats!

mommylamb
12-22-2012, 12:05 PM
We send out about 60 and get back about 30-35. We have 27 so far, but there are a few that are conspicuously absent this year, including the package of cards my MIL always sends from England, and that I know are on their way somewhere. She always collects cards from all my SILs and her best friend and sends them in one package.

dogmom
12-22-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm supposed to keep track? I thought I was just bragging about my cute kids to people I know by putting then on the card.

Seriously, if you have a long list, trim it back if it bothers you. If it doesn't keep sending them, people probably enjoy them. Some people are major card people, some aren't. I'm not We send about 50 cards out. I get one every year from someone my husband played D&D with for about 2 years about 10 years ago. I think he came to our house once for a party. (I should say his wife sends it.) They moved, I don't get the address, because we have no contact, then I get a card. I figure if we aren't close enough for me to know you moved I probably don't need to send you a card. There are people I don't get cards from that I send to, that is fine. They are less card people than me. Or some years I get cards from them, some don't. I can pretty much predict by reading their Facebook page and seeing how busy they are.

But according to this article this makes me a moocher or a teenager. And I don't feel like a teenager...

http://m.npr.org/news/Health/165570502

zukeypur
12-22-2012, 01:07 PM
I sent out about 60 and have received about 30 so far. No one in my family ever sends them out, and very few in DH's family send them out. Most of our friends have reciprocated.

momtoonegirl
12-22-2012, 01:36 PM
This year I sent 40. Received 5 so far. Not sure if people are late sending them or just didn't have enough time to send them this year.

pastrygirl
12-22-2012, 01:47 PM
I don't send out cards (never have), but after a couple of years of not reciprocating, I know I've been removed from MANY lists. And it's FINE! Really. If you need to cut anyone from your list, go ahead and do it. :)

ETA: While I do enjoy getting them, I don't really do anything with them. Once upon a time I displayed them, but now they just end up in a pile. Last year I think I taped them to ribbon, so maybe once I start wrapping gifts, I'll string up a piece of ribbon. But I only get 5-10 cards a year.

Momit
12-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Probably about 80%. There are also usually a few unexpected ones we receive and haven't sent one to. We send about 75 cards.

hellokitty
12-22-2012, 02:18 PM
13 yrs ago when we were married, our xmas card list was over a 100. It has been weeded down a lot. I was a little bit upset (we didn't do cards last yr) when I decided to do cards this yr, that our list has been whittled down even more. Down to about 45. I had to admit that of the 45 left on our list, at least 60% still send us cards. I've dropped a lot of ppl who just never sent a card, or who had obviously dropped us from their list. I hate to make it a tit for a tat type of thing, but in some ways, that is what happened. The thing is that this yr I sent cards out to a few new ppl who weren't on my list and I probably caught them off guard and got kind of a generic card, but will be interested to see if I am added onto their regular list for next yr. I haven't gotten any cards so far this yr from anyone that's really surprised me. I have some friends who sent e-cards, which is ok, since I've done that before as well in the past when things were too crazy (ie: on of my friends who sent me an e-card, I know part of it is that her grandfather just passed away recently, so there is too much going on for her right now).

mommylamb
12-22-2012, 02:33 PM
I bought this for myself and a set for my sister this year to display cards.http://www.etsy.com/listing/116673388/12-mini-sparkle-clothes-pins-with-twine

pb&j
12-22-2012, 05:27 PM
I have no idea!

We send them out without expectation of reciprocation. I love the cards we get! It's rare that we receive one from someone we don't send to - usually it's a client of DH's who I don't know, since I'm the keeper of the list and the sender of the cards. We send out about 80 cards.

Pennylane
12-22-2012, 06:12 PM
I only sent about 45 this year and have gotten 15. We did just move though and I know lots of people don't have our address.

Ann

blisstwins
12-23-2012, 05:45 AM
I send close to 200 and get about 100. I send to most people from our wedding 12 years ago, my mom's friends (her request), extended family (old great uncles), DH's family and my in-laws friends (if I do it for my family I should do it for his). I also send to some of my dead father's friends, my children's classmates (20 families, one class per grade so we know most well). I freaking love cards and don't send with the expectation of getting them back. For the small amount of money we spend, I feel it keeps the door open on friendships. I just like having this little orbit. We may not be close to everyone, but to take a minute once a year and wish people connected to us--now or in the past--well makes me happy and feels worth it.

Corie
12-23-2012, 10:23 AM
I didn't know that people keep track about who reciprocates and
who doesn't!

I don't send out cards. Never have. It's just not my thing.

But I do love getting cards from everyone. I put them up in my house
and show them off.

I had no idea that people would actually remove me from their distribution
list because they don't get a card from me.

mommylamb
12-23-2012, 10:28 AM
I think most people don't remove someone from their list just because they don't reciprocate. But, I am likely to remove someone from my list if we don't have any contact with that person any longer in general. I have friends who don't send cards, but we keep in contact in many other ways throughout the year, and I would never take them off my Christmas card list. I don't care that they don't send out cards. But there are other people who-- while they are great people-- have moved away and we just don't keep in any contact at all, so those are the folks I might trim off the list eventually.

Staraglimmer
12-23-2012, 10:43 AM
I sent about 70. So far I think we have gotten 6 so far. So I guess less than 10%. A lot of our list is older people that don't send card though. I'm sure we will get a couple more before the season ends. I finally mailed ours yesterday.

dogmom
12-23-2012, 11:22 AM
I send close to 200 and get about 100. I send to most people from our wedding 12 years ago, my mom's friends (her request), extended family (old great uncles), DH's family and my in-laws friends (if I do it for my family I should do it for his). I also send to some of my dead father's friends, my children's classmates (20 families, one class per grade so we know most well). I freaking love cards and don't send with the expectation of getting them back. For the small amount of money we spend, I feel it keeps the door open on friendships. I just like having this little orbit. We may not be close to everyone, but to take a minute once a year and wish people connected to us--now or in the past--well makes me happy and feels worth it.

200! Wow, I'm impressed.

JustMe
12-23-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm glad this thread was posted and glad to read the responses, as I had been thinking of posting the opposite thread. If you don't send out cards do you feel the need to tell people you don't sent out cards, if they might not already know that?

We're Jewish. I do not send out holiday cards in December, although I know there are Jewish people who do. It is not part of my tradition and does not feel right to me. However, I sometimes worry if not everyone realizes that. Of course, most of my friends do. However, an example is the husband of a friend of mine who passed away. He sends has sent us a card every year. I will usually use it as a good excuse to send him an e-mail. However, I never outright told him I don't do cards and its not that I don't think you're important enough to get one.

TwinFoxes
12-23-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm mind boggled by the numbers! I sent out 30, 35 tops. I don't know for sure how many I've gotten back. I basically send to the same people every year. Some reciprocate some don't.

georgiegirl
12-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Maybe 50%. Some of the people who don't send us cards are either old or childless. We have a high rate of return for families with young kids.

We take people off our list who we are no longer close with, not because someone doesn't reciprocate.

hopeful_mama
12-23-2012, 01:48 PM
We sent out 32 and so far have 8, 25%, I wouldn't be surprised to get a few more still. A lot are to DH's overseas relatives and usually only one sends one back after Christmas, and there are a few people who don't celebrate Christmas and we don't expect cards from them (and wouldn't cut them for that).

For those who wonder about cutting: not receiving a card is never the only reason to cut someone, for us at least. Receiving a card is always a reason to keep sending, however, even if we're otherwise out of touch and would have otherwise considered it.

AngB
12-23-2012, 02:04 PM
I'm mind boggled by the numbers! I sent out 30, 35 tops. I don't know for sure how many I've gotten back. I basically send to the same people every year. Some reciprocate some don't.

:yeahthat:

I ordered 40 cards but still have several left. We received them from everyone I expected, probably 75%ish.

BayGirl2
12-23-2012, 05:30 PM
As of today I am at exactly 25%. We sent 100 cards, we have 25 hanging up that we received. Our list this year is exactly the same as xmas last year and DD's birth announcements, so by now the recipients have our address and know we send them. I have to assume that most people just don't send them.

SASM
12-23-2012, 06:16 PM
This is REALLY interesting...Thank you for all of the replies!!!