PDA

View Full Version : Baking question re: cinnamon rolls

TxCat
12-22-2012, 10:21 AM
How long can I do the second rise in the pan? I have to work fo 24 hours on the 24th, but I'm determined to have my homemade cinnamon rolls ready on Christmas morning - it seems like I have two options - bake on Sunday and reheat on Tuesday morning, or prep on Sunday night and let them do the second rise in the pan all day Monday. Would this be a problem?

Liziz
12-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Will someone be home on Monday? If so, make them Saturday, put them in the pan, and immediately freeze. Have your volunteer take them out of the freezer ~12 hrs before you want to bake and just leave on the counter (I usually just pull out before I go to bed). In the morning, they should be thawed and risen (without over-rising, which you'll get if you don't do the freezing step). I've done cinnamon rolls for several years like this....just adjust time if you keep you house very warm or very cool overnight!

m448
12-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Along the same lines of liziz's suggestion you can put the frozen and covered rolls in the fridge 24 hours before you want go bake them and they will thaw/rise.

Snow mom
12-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Suggestions above are good. You can't let something rise too long--it will fall again and you will not be pleased with the outcome.

TxCat
12-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Thank you for all the tips! I was too nervous to freeze over such a short time frame but it sounds like that is the way to go. The kitchen will probably be 73 degrees overnight -sounds like it will be safer to thaw and rise in the refrigerator for 24 hrs vs kitchen for 8-12 hrs (DH usually goes to bed at 11 so I can ask him to take the frozen rolls out at any time)?

TxCat
12-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Thank you for all the tips! I was too nervous to freeze over such a short time frame but it sounds like that is the way to go. The kitchen will probably be 73 degrees overnight -sounds like it will be safer to thaw and rise in the refrigerator for 24 hrs vs kitchen for 8-12 hrs (DH usually goes to bed at 11 so I can ask him to take the frozen rolls out at any time)?