PDA

View Full Version : I need nap strategies

mommylamb
12-22-2012, 11:20 AM
DS2 has always been a terrible napper at home. He is 10 months old and still refuses to nap at home unless I'm rocking him or he is napping in our bed with DH or me. He is fine at daycare. I try to follow. DCP's schedule to a T but it just doesn't work. The second I put him down in his crib He wakes up and cries. I tried CIO and he just cries and cries. He does go down for me at night thankfully and is doing a much better job STTN lately but naps are rough and I don't know what to do. Sitting rocking him now and typing on my phone.

Relatedly, I'm wondering if introducing a lovey might help but GE doesn't seem drawn to anything. DS1 never had one so I'm not sure how to go about introducing one.

brittone2
12-22-2012, 11:21 AM
All 3 of mine were like that. It is hard. In our case they eventually outgrew it, but we definitely went through a length period of no nap unless we remained with them.

Sometimes I could stay there for a while, and once they got into a deep enough sleep, I could escape. But if I waited too long, they'd wake up as soon as I moved.

eta: Loveys never stuck for my kids, but I might try using something with your smell...maybe worth a try.

mommylamb
12-22-2012, 11:27 AM
When did they grow out of it?

brittone2
12-22-2012, 11:30 AM
You don't want to know.

Closer to 18months-2yrs.

eta: fwiw, they did that almost every day. The fact that your little guy sleeps at daycare is probably a great sign that you can work on it...my kids, notsomuch!

crl
12-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Ds would only go to sleep for nap if he was in motion. Stroller or car. He did sleep through transfers fortunately. Would it work to take him for a stroll and let him sleep in the stroller for nap? I'd rather go for a walk than sit and rock, but ymmv.

Catherine

mommylamb
12-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Yes, fortunately DS2 does sleep in the car too. But he wakes up as soon as the car stops.

Tinochka
12-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Both of mine were not a good nappers. DS1 settled down much more quicker though, his naps were predictable at about 5-6 months and he still loves his Baby Gund Puppy lovey. DS2..., I gave up on him and moved him for 1 nap at around 11-12 months, which allowed me to put for a nap both kids at the SAME time. I went to the park, then came back and put them for a nap. Since then, LIFE IS GOOD;) DS2 has minky blanky and Baby Gund Lamb.

PZMommy
12-22-2012, 04:08 PM
My little guy goes to bed fine at night now, but will only sleep for naps if I am laying next to him. Daycare also has problems with his napping, but he does do better there. He is 16 months old. He Loves Loves Loves his wubbanub pacifiers and an Aden and Anais swaddle blanket for his lovies.