PDA

View Full Version : Crib repurposing

DrSally
12-22-2012, 02:35 PM
I didn't want to resurrect a really old thread, but we're finally doing this:

http://www.chicspacesforlittlefaces.com/2011/09/old-crib-desk.html

Cannot wait to get all the papers and craft supplies off of the kitchen table. Hoping I can find some cute accessories at Ikea.

AJP
12-22-2012, 03:51 PM
I love this idea!
Is it as easy as drilling new holes for the desktop? Are you going to make your own desktop?
Please post pics when it's done!

doberbrat
12-22-2012, 03:54 PM
ha ha I thought it was going to be a thread for those of us who have a crib thats never been used by a sleeping baby.

but thats pretty cool too! :rotflmao:

citymama
12-22-2012, 06:48 PM
This is awesome - totally going to do it when Dd2 is done with hers!

There's a guy who runs a home daycare somewhere around here who pushes the kids around town in a wheeled crib. For real. I've seen up to 4 toddlers in the crib, all around 1-2 yrs old. Crazy.

swrc00
12-22-2012, 06:51 PM
Don't forget to post pics once you have it all together!

hellokitty
12-22-2012, 07:01 PM
I bookmarked that link, I think last yr and have TWO cribs that dh is supposed to transform for me. He keeps grumbling about it, b/c my kids are out of control with all of their craft clutter. I can't wait to be able to hang their supples on the desk so it's all self contained.

Sweetum
12-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Sorry, OT, but citymama don't you think that is unsafe for the kids? Don't you feel like it needs to be reported? Sorry, not pointing fingers at you, just a thought that came to me as soon as I read that. Back to regular programming.

citymama
12-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Sorry, OT, but citymama don't you think that is unsafe for the kids? Don't you feel like it needs to be reported? Sorry, not pointing fingers at you, just a thought that came to me as soon as I read that. Back to regular programming.

It was alarming to me. Reporting - I don't know. He has at least 4 kids he takes care of - all between one and two years, I think. I would never allow my kid to be transported like that and I can't imagine he's licensed as a DCP. But they are clearly in his charge - he has multiple sippy cups, blankies and a giant diaper bag. So parents are knowingly leaving these kids in his care. He's also walking down main sidewalks with them, within blocks of police/fire station. Who would I report him to and what would I say? Would I want these happy looking kids taken away from his care? I think this is something the parents should be talking to him about. Not to stereotype, but he's a 40 something dreadlocked white hippie dude - it's likely the families who leave their kids with him are equally, um, alternative.

I guess next time I could stop and ask him more, including whether he's licensed, as he could be reported to the licensing agency.

Sweetum
12-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Thanks, citymama, for taking it in the right spirit, and putting in so much thought into it. I'll be curious if you do something or find out something. Happy holidays!

mackmama
12-22-2012, 08:57 PM
LOVE this idea!!

SkyrMommy
12-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Hmmmm, this has got me thinking. I don't have a full old crib, both kids have cribs that turned to toddler beds and now DD's is a full size bed. But when all is said and done and they are in beds, we have the sides of the old crib/toddler bed left.

I wonder if I could get DH to rig up a table space between the two sides, make my own back chalkboard space & storage area for supplies. Oh DH is going to so roll his eyes at me for another project, but if it works, they'd eventually both have desk/work spaces that match the rest of the furniture.

I saw this one too...
http://redpillmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Red-Pill-Mom-Repurposed-Crib-5.jpg

DrSally
12-23-2012, 03:13 AM
I'll check with DH tomorrow, but so far, he has drilled new holes so the base comes up a little higher. Also purchased some whiteboard matrial, cut to size and plywood? To go under it. Not sure how he's going to fasten those. The kids are so excited.