PDA

View Full Version : Called by Check Cashing company to verify info?

Pinky
12-22-2012, 03:16 PM
We wrote a check for some tree work we had done today. A few hours later we got a call from one of those check cashing companies and they were wanting to verify a bunch of information to make sure the check was legit. They asked us things like the year we were born, 2 numbers from our SS#, what the check was written for, the amount of the check etc.

Have you guys ever received a call like this before? If so, how would the check cashing company have access to any of our personal information (it's not printed on our check) for them to even be able to verify things like 2 digits from SS# or birthday year? Any idea why they went to a place like that instead of to our bank?

Jenny_A
12-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Yes. I have. It was after we had some construction work done, similar to what you described.

I don't remember them asking about ss# or birthdate. Just for me to verify that I had written a check. Perhaps banks have some sort of relationship with check cashing places that would let them see some personal information?? I'm guessing. I don't know.

But, to answer part of your question, yes the phone call you received was a normal part of someone getting a check cashed at one of those places.

arivecchi
12-22-2012, 04:01 PM
That sounds odd to me. I would not give out any information over the phone ever unless I called them and knew who I was talking to.

kijip
12-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Numbers from your SS number sounds odd.

kijip
12-22-2012, 04:41 PM
A lot of construction, gardening and other self employed manual labor workers live outside the banking infrastructure. Some are here illegally. Some live in a cash economy by personal choice/preference. Some are working under the table or without a business registration. Some are not opening bank accounts because they have an outstanding judgment or child support lien hanging over them and they are avoiding seizure/garnishment or having their location reported.

TwinFoxes
12-22-2012, 04:45 PM
That sounds odd to me. I would not give out any information over the phone ever unless I called them and knew who I was talking to.

:yeahthat: At the very least I would have asked to speak to the contractor who was presumably standing right there.

bigsis
12-22-2012, 05:52 PM
We wrote a check for some tree work we had done today. A few hours later we got a call from one of those check cashing companies and they were wanting to verify a bunch of information to make sure the check was legit. They asked us things like the year we were born, 2 numbers from our SS#, what the check was written for, the amount of the check etc.

Have you guys ever received a call like this before? If so, how would the check cashing company have access to any of our personal information (it's not printed on our check) for them to even be able to verify things like 2 digits from SS# or birthday year? Any idea why they went to a place like that instead of to our bank?

I have received PLENTY of these calls as I work as accounts payable. They usually verify if you wrote the check: Check#, Payable to, Amount, possibly the account number the check was written from----but have NEVER asked for SSN and birthdates.

They usually go to places like that out of convenience, even though they get a percentage taken out of it.

Pinky
12-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks everybody! This is the first time we've ever received a call like this...

I have received PLENTY of these calls as I work as accounts payable. They usually verify if you wrote the check: Check#, Payable to, Amount, possibly the account number the check was written from----but have NEVER asked for SSN and birthdates.

They usually go to places like that out of convenience, even though they get a percentage taken out of it.

The strange thing was they didn't ask us our entire SS# or birthday... just the middle two numbers of the social and the birth year. DH answered the phone and he is not near as paranoid as I am about this stuff. I would have insisted on calling them back and then wouldnt have given any SS info, even just the two numbers.