PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need a child birth class?

Jupiter
12-24-2012, 10:00 PM
I want a natural birth. I have a high pain tolerance and really have had no pain so far. Am I beling unrealistic not taking a class?

SnuggleBuggles
12-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Well, how much prep have you done (reading...)? How much has your partner done; IMO they benefit a good deal from being prepared and researching too. (Penny Simkin's Birth Partner book is a must read for the partner of someone trying for no pain meds). Do you have a care provider that gets unmedicated birth- limits inductions, interventions, encourages you to be active and involved, advocates for staying out of bed/ laboring and delivering in various positions, doesn't put time limits on birth...? If you haven't asked about that stuff, you should do it ASAP. Do you have a doula?

If you have good support, have done your own reading and gotten your partner involved then that is better than most classes. Some classes are great though. The support if being with other pg moms is great. Making connections with other parents can be helpful.

mikala
12-24-2012, 10:32 PM
I'd recommend taking a class. I attended a hospital class and learned about labor positioning and relaxation, pain meds (useful even though I also wanted a medical free birth because my baby had other plans and it helped to have know the pros and cons of various methods before I was in pain), what to expect post partum, newborn care and breastfeeding.

I would also suggest hiring a doula and taking a prenatal yoga class. The doulas in your area should be able to recommend a birth class that fits your needs. I also think your obstetric provider is a crucial part of the equation because you want someone who is comfortable with non medicated births,has a low c section rate and is cautious about interventions like induction.

Good luck! I had an unmedicated birth with my second and it was a really good experience.

Snow mom
12-25-2012, 12:39 AM
What do you mean by "no pain so far"? I had a super easy pregnancy with DD but it wasn't any prediction of labor pain. I think you are being unrealistic if you think a high pain tolerance alone is going to get you through labor. You need to get some sense of options for coping with pain and practice these methods. Many people I know who wanted natural births did bradley classes. It seems people here like hypnobabies as well. There might be options for home study/ reading up on techniques but I'd take a class if this is your first DC. It also seems a doula helps if you are having a hospital birth but want to avoid lots of intervention and pain meds.

wellyes
12-25-2012, 01:19 AM
Yes, absolutely you do. I used a lot of what I learned in class for the birth positions I chose, the 'interventions' I accepted or rejected, what I expected from DH, how long each phase would last, decoding what the nurses were saying, and even simple stuff like knowing the hospitals policies and practices. Where to park, what to bring, what foods they have on hand, if DH could stay overnight with me, all that logistical stuff that you don't want to learn about for the first time when you're in the midst of giving birth.

In my class, they told me that a high percentage of women in their first labor plan for no pain meds, but most do not succeed unless they take Hynobirthing or Bradley Method classes. That was true for me. Nothing in my life compared to the intense physical experience of labor.

Jacksmommy2b
12-25-2012, 01:40 AM
No harm in taking a class, but I didn't and had no problems with a med free birth.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

SnuggleBuggles
12-25-2012, 01:48 AM
Fwiw, we read a Bradley book but I never had a method with ds1. I stayed out of bed, used water, sat on a ball, breathed deep and slow, relaxed my body, had dh provide counter pressure bc I had back labor plus I had 0 interventions, hired a doula, had a CNM and a great dh. Most of all, I was super well prepared and mentally ready for the challenge; I said I could do anything for a day.

rin
12-25-2012, 01:49 AM
I took a Bradley class, and did not find it helpful. Honestly, the most helpful thing I learned was probably advice from labor nurse each time; once a nurse who gave me breathing coaching (the Bradley classes I took did not encourage breathing techniques) and during my second labor a nurse who showed DH a specific way to apply back pressure.

Mali
12-25-2012, 05:41 AM
I also hope to have a natural, drug-free birth. We ended up taking a series of 8 baby classes that came highly recommended by family & friends. It was nice to have a forum to ask the random questions that came up because of discussions with others in the class and it's really nice to now know a bunch of other couples who are due around the same time as we are.

I read a lot before getting pregnant and early on, and the classes were a nice supplement to all of that.

No idea how much it will help in labor (DD can stay put for 2 more weeks TYVM ;) ) but we did get some good ideas for various positions/counter pressure/rebozo movement thingies so hopefully that will be beneficial when we're in the thick of things. :D

Simon
12-25-2012, 08:20 AM
IMO, knowledge is power. If you plan to deliver in a hospital, then I would at least attend their orientation class. Ours offered a class that included breastfeeding and newborn advice which was very helpful. We also had a clear set of expectations. It was also helpful in helping answer questions about what ifs and things we had not considered.

Plans are great but you may be glad you know all about c-sections if you need one in an emergency. Ds1 was a totally unexpected preemie. I didn't need a C and avoided some interventions but not others. If I had been more knowledgeable then I would have had more control over what happened to us in labor plus those first few days/hours. (He was born before we got through our birth classes). I dont have any regrets, but I know women who are quite haunted by their birth experiences.

swrc00
12-25-2012, 09:58 AM
I took a class and knew I would likely get an epidural. I felt like the class was good to inform DH. I also liked being around people who were at the same period in their pregnancy as I was. We are still friends with three of the couples who were in our class. Our kids play with each other on a regular basis.

georgiegirl
12-25-2012, 10:01 AM
I did a self-study hypnobabies course, and it was great. I would recommend an actual class for a first labor. But if you've done it before and just want to go med-free the second time, the self-study course was great (which was my case.)

Most women I know who had successful all-natural births did take a class or do extensive reading. Some women can "power through it" without any class or research, but it usually isn't as an empowering of an experience. A class will physically and mentally prepare you for labor.

queenmama
12-25-2012, 10:07 AM
We took a class when pregnant with Henry and both decided it was 100% a waste of time. Maybe things have changed, as that was back in 2000, but it was useless for us. I had a natural, drug-free birth (and he was 9lbs+, if that matters).

We didn't bother taking a class with DD this year but I did read a ton throughout my pregnancy and was so much more knowledgeable about the process, not only because I'd already been through it once. I had a birth plan but it went out the window when I had to have an emergency induction due to amniotic leak and being GBS+, and despite being a thousand times better prepared, it didn't go anything like I'd envisioned, although she, too, was big (9lbs) and delivered drug-free.

I guess my point is that you can do everything within your power -- go ahead and take that class and continue to read as much as you can -- and think you have it all figured out, but as with parenthood, you are totally clueless about what you're in for. :D

Lara

mctlaw
12-26-2012, 08:36 AM
I think the standard hospital class is largely a waste of time but if you want to go natural I highly rec a doula. I say that as someone who got through a second labor naturally with a doula but could not power through my first one with just me and DH. Made all the difference!

mommytoC
12-26-2012, 11:27 AM
What do you mean by "no pain so far"? I had a super easy pregnancy with DD but it wasn't any prediction of labor pain. I think you are being unrealistic if you think a high pain tolerance alone is going to get you through labor. You need to get some sense of options for coping with pain and practice these methods. Many people I know who wanted natural births did bradley classes. It seems people here like hypnobabies as well. There might be options for home study/ reading up on techniques but I'd take a class if this is your first DC. It also seems a doula helps if you are having a hospital birth but want to avoid lots of intervention and pain meds.

:yeahthat: (x 2 easy pregnancies :), with no pain prior to labor).

We took our hospital's childbirth class with DD#1, and I found the breathing and positioning techniques (and especially the preparation for DH :)) to be quite helpful.
With DD#2, I just reviewed breathing techniques, and strategies for back labor.

AshleyAnn
12-26-2012, 12:11 PM
I skipped the childbirth classes and had a natural delivery. I did read alot online, talked with a Natural Birthing group similar to the BBB and read the bradley book several times. If you can find/afford a classI'd suggest you go but its not a make it or break it think IMO.

sweet_pea
12-26-2012, 01:39 PM
My hospital's birthing class included a tour of their birthing center. It was important for me to be familiar with the surroundings I would be in while in labor. As for the actual class itself, it may have been more useful for DH than for me. I did a lot of reading, but he didn't, so it was good for him to go and have information presented and to be able to ask questions.

daisymommy
12-26-2012, 06:51 PM
You at least need to read a ton, and get a doula. Otherwise wanting a natural birth probably will not be enough. Trust me, not having a painful pregnancy doesn't mean you won't have a very painful birth. It's having the coping skills to get through the pain and knowing what to expect, what interventions to avoid, that will help you be successful.

Mama to the Fantastic Four: DS (10), DD (6), DS (3), DD (born 5/12)
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brittone2
01-01-2013, 08:23 PM
My 1st midwife was not really the crunchy type at all and steered me away from the hospital class as at our hospital, as it was very intervention focused. She just didn't think I'd get much out of it. She directed me to someone who teaches child birth out of her home. She does a more traditional natural childbirth class and then Hypnobirthing (Mongan method). The traditional class didn't fit our schedule, and I wasn't sure I was into using hypnosis. I did some reading and decided to try the class. It worked out beautifully for us in the end. I *did* take a separate tour of the hospital (could do this without taking the childbirth class) so I knew where to go, policies, etc. I also took a BFing class at the hospital.

With my 2nd and 3rd I was living in a different state, and opted to do the Hypnobabies self study supplementary class (designed for people who had already done the Mongan Hypnobirthing program; I think at some point they phased this out). That worked fine for me and I loooooved using hypnosis (eta: lots of old threads on Hypnobabies, Hypnobirthing, hypnosis in childbirth if you search and are curious...I know I personally had a lot of misconceptions about what hypnosis would be like...really it was deep relaxation, I wasn't "out of it" in any way, lots of deep breathing. It also happened to be wonderful for pregnancy induced insomnia, and I slept sooo well when I'd do my hypnosis CDs)

So....all of that to say, I think it somewhat depends on the hospital. You might also inquire as to whether you can get a tour of L&D if you take a course out of the hospital (or opt for self study).

I also did a lot of reading on my own, and while I used hypnosis techniques, I also used ideas from people like Penny Simkin and so forth (active labor positions, etc.)

eta: agree on looking into a doula. I used one with DS1 and it was great. I didn't need her for 90-95% of my labor, but she was well worth the cost during transition. She also loaned us books and so forth while we were pregnant and prepping, and was a great resource overall. I did not use a doula in subsequent pregnancies, but it was great for my first time. She also did a good job of gently running interference for me...I was only uncomfortable in my first labor while hooked up to the EFM and stuck in bed. So she advocated nicely for the nurse to figure out how to hook me up so I could sit on the birthing ball or be on all 4s in the hospital bed. That was tremendously helpful.

edurnemk
01-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Since you want a natural birth, I do recommend the class, it really helped me in regards to knowing what to expect, setting my expectations, knowing what all my options were, etc. For DC2 I just re-read some books, no class. But I am SO glad I took one for DC1. But take a good class, I took the one at my hospital but it was a very good one. It was especially useful for DH who did not read a thing. I also liked taking the L&D tour.

jjordan
01-13-2013, 09:17 PM
I think a class is a good idea, but some classes focus on interventions (eg "this is when we let you get an epidural"), so that kind of class would be a waste of time. OTOH, a short hospital class (if you're giving birth in a hospital) might be valuable as far as knowing what to expect, what sort of procedures they typically do that you want to make a point of avoiding, and so on.

If you're the type of person who learns well from classes, then I'd say definitely do it. If you learn better from books, then you can probably learn all you really need to know about natural childbirth from books. BUT - keep in mind that your dh or so or whoever birth partner also needs to know stuff, so a class might benefit him/her even if it's pointless for you.

I agree that a good doula can be really helpful for a natural childbirth. :)

almostmom
01-14-2013, 11:18 AM
I would highly recommend taking a class. I had 2 natural childbirths, both pretty straightforward (no issues really) but incredibly painful nonetheless. I didn't think my class was great, and I had learned a lot already from reading books, but I'm glad I had it.

More than anything, I think it is good in case you can't have a natural childbirth - things slow down, baby is stuck, there is some apparent threat to the baby (eg. unbilical cord wrapped around the neck). Any of these things can lead to interventions that can help to save the baby's life, including a c-section, and I was glad to know what might happen if I couldn't deliver naturally. I was less scared of those options, including forceps and vacuum, knowing what they were, and not just what they are called (which is scary!).

And secondly, I did learn about some good positions, but those can be learned from a book.

And thirdly, it got DH involved, and that way he knew what to expect. He wasn't about to be reading childbirth books like I was.