PDA

View Full Version : Fenugreek supplement dosage?

daisyd
12-26-2012, 02:46 PM
My LC advised fenugreek capsules 3 three times a day for 5 days to boost milk supply. any reason not to take it for more than 5 days? I looked up kellymom and no time limit was suggested. can someone with experiene weigh in? TIA!

BabyBearsMom
12-26-2012, 02:52 PM
I took it the entire time I nursed with DD1 and DD2, but I was BFAR (Breast Feeding After Reduction). The only side effect is that you smell like maple syrup. Your LC probably wants to see if it makes a difference after 5 days and if you still need it at that point. Although, my LC said it really takes 2 weeks for it to be fully effective.

ShayleighCarsensMom
12-26-2012, 04:02 PM
I took it the entire time too. I found that the capsules didn't help much, but the liquid fenugreek did. Just a warning, it tastes aweful!

Valerie
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fedoragirl
12-26-2012, 04:45 PM
If you take 6 capsules a day and the entire time you're nursing, it should help. I took them for my first and fortunately, did not need them for my second. I have a whole bunch left over now and don't know what to do with them.

daisyd
12-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks everyone!Im going to continue my supplements. Its so heartening to know that improvements in supply continue until 14 days.

vludmilla
12-26-2012, 06:53 PM
I was exclusively pumping for 15 months and I took fenugreek 3 caps, 3 times a day for much of that time. I believe it helped me maintain my supply for so long.

Nooknookmom
12-28-2012, 02:46 PM
5 days is too short to see any effect! I took it the whole time I nursed. Well until she was two anyway! Then all was fine.

My older dd tells me she misses the smell of maple syrup lol, it does smell like it!

daisyd
12-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Good to know. I'm ordering a new bottle today.