PDA

View Full Version : Suntheanine (l-theanine) supplement for attention and anxiety

sste
12-27-2012, 12:33 PM
I thought this might be useful info for some of the kiddos on this forum. I was searching for something to take for low-moderate anxiety and some attention focus/issues. I am terribly sensitive to prescription medications and since I was nursing and thinking about pregnancy I was extremely cautious on supplements. I noticed that I personally had a very good effect from drinking green tea but it got to the point I was drinking vats of it daily! So, I started taking this:
http://www.nowfoods.com/Supplements/Products-by-Category/Amino-Acids/M084687.htm

For me at least, it is a modest but discernible effect- - more of a support. With NO side effects! As an adult, I find it to be very effective when I layer it with my green tea anti-oxidant fest ritual and a little excercise. There was recently a trial using it on kids with adhd - - I have not read that research carefully and don't know who funded it etc.

Anyway, this might be an option as a supplement or as a first step before trying prescription adhd or anxiety meds. My hunch is that it is not going to deal with major anxiety or major attentional issues but may be helpful for lower acuity versions of the same. I think you would want a lower dose for kids and of course check with your pedis - - from my reading it is extremely safe but just beginning to be used with kids. The "suntheanine" is apparently the purest and you don't want just green tea extract as that often contains caffeine. HTH. :)