PDA

View Full Version : How long before Disney trip did you tell your kids ou were going?

acmom
12-30-2012, 11:52 AM
We were planning on telling our kids that we were taking a Feb trip to Disney on Christmas. But then we felt like there was so much other excitement with seeing friends and family and exchanging gifts, that we waited.

Now I am trying to decide the best time to tell them. They are 2.5 and 4. I was thinking of making some kind of countdown at home to get everyone excited for the trip and show how many more days to go.

When would you tell them and start the countdown? A month ahead? More, less?

SnuggleBuggles
12-30-2012, 11:55 AM
I didn't think my kids would be wildly excited about our Disneyland plan (bc its just a day) so I told them when I decided to go and haven't hyped it since. Maybe I'm lame. :)

AngelaS
12-30-2012, 05:51 PM
We didn't tell our kids until it was time to get up, get dressed and head to the airport. It was awesome!

jjordan
12-30-2012, 06:16 PM
The anticipation has been a HUGE part of the excitement for our kids. We leave Tuesday and I think we told them a few months ago. They are ages 6.5 and 4.5 (and 1.5, but she doesn't really know what's going on...).

hillview
12-30-2012, 06:19 PM
2 weeks is our max. It is fun to tell them a little before so you can read the website etc.

LKMang
12-30-2012, 07:00 PM
We did about a month the first time we went. Had a little calendar and each day we crossed off a day and put a mickey sticker on it. DS was young (about 2 years old) and he loved it. The last time we went (DS was 3.5 yrs old), I was busy/lazy and we only did the countdown for 2 weeks. He still loved it.

With something so exciting, it is definitely better for us to prepare DS for it (he can be kinda sensitive with surprises).

Have an awesome time!

veronica
12-30-2012, 11:01 PM
We didn't tell our kids until it was time to get up, get dressed and head to the airport. It was awesome!
same here for our 2012 trip . it was amazing and the best decision we ever made. no nagging!

for Christmast, DH gave me another trip for this coming spring, so the kids know about this one now. it's only been 5 days and I'm already being nagged to death!

lalasmama
12-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Two days before, and for her 8th birthday. My reasoning was that if I had told her before that, she would have asked every.single.dang.day ahead of the trip. As it was, she was thrilled, and equally mad, that there was a two-day wait! "Are we there yet?" was asked continually! And Heaven forbid when we got there too late to go to DL that day!

belovedgandp
01-02-2013, 01:47 AM
My kids are planners, so I wanted them to have a bit of time to process, but not so long that I was asked every single day.

They were 7 1/2 and 4 when we went in mid-November. We told them on Halloween. That was about right for us. I wouldn't do much earlier than a couple of weeks. Enough time to get excited, but not exhausted.