PDA

View Full Version : This Disneyland novice is back and lived to tell the tale!

citymama
01-01-2013, 04:47 AM
I'm still amazed by all the advance planning that goes into Disneyland trips (here and on other boards) and wondering if I missed something by doing virtually no planning. First, we decided in early Dec to make an LA/DL trip over the holiday break, and other than booking a hotel (in downtown LA), we did no prep for the trip until maybe two days before we left. We just couldn't; Dec is one of the busiest times at work for both of us. My prep came from the couple of posts here and from asking my cousin about her trips there with kids. The best advice you gave me was: go as early in the day as possible. So true!

We only had a day and decided to stick to just DL and not try and cram the other park in (despite DD2s love of Cars). We arrived just before 8 (waking up at 6 and driving an hour to get there). It took another 45 minutes to get in to the park even with our advance purchase tickets, what with paying for parking, waiting for the tram, etc. But between 8.30 and 10.30, we had almost no wait at the rides we did - per TwinFoxes recc, we made straight for Dumbo! We did that, Alice, teacups and Small World in our first two hours and also got to meet three princesses unexpectedly (Belle, Cinderella and Snow White) on their way to the meet the princess place. Fortunately, DD1 is past the princess phase and DD2 has zero interest. We got fast passes for Autopia (to make up for missing Cars), got a snack at Star Wars and meandered off to Toon Town. Kiddos were happy to meet Goofy and Pluto. (By this time, the park was a zoo - it was close to noon. We decided against waiting for Peter Pan although it was on our list. We had made it close to the front of the submarine line when they decided to close it due to a maintenance problem.) We escaped by riding the Pooh ride (very missable, but it pleased the 2.5 yr old no end), and we had to swim against a sea of people to return to Autopia. Yikes, madness. After the car ride, we needed lunch and intended to go to one of the New Orleans options, but the sea of people dropped us off at some other the Stagecoach cafe so we ate there instead. It did the job, minimal wait, and we had lots of backup snacks. Then we did a few lamer things before working up the energy to stand on a long line - rode the steamship Mark Twain, climbed Tarzan's tree house, met the Alladin cast - and then DD2 conveniently fell asleep just in time for the hour long line to Pirates of the Caribbean. But it was worth the wait! So much fun, and the two year old woke up after the first waterfall splash. ;)

By this time it was maybe 4.30 and we were running out of steam. We walked through Sleeping Beauty's castle and a few other things, then watched the parade, bought our souvenirs and got out of there at around 6.30. The kids were troopers and even made it through a yummy Ethiopian meal back in LA!

I'm probably an anomaly as the highlight of my trip was the good Thai and Mexican food rather than Disney, followed closely by good hiking in Santa Monica and Beverley Hills. I even liked the tea at the American Girl Place (more on that some other time but we managed to spend 3 hours doll shopping!) more than DL, but, that said, seeing my kids enthralled by the Small World holiday decorations (wow, it was beautiful!) and all of us squeal with joy through Pirates....was pretty special. I'm sure we'll go back if we can - and next time they'll be ready for big kid rides!

Thanks to all of you for the good advice! My two cents would be: go early, bring snacks, and don't sweat it - you're sure to have a good time!

SnuggleBuggles
01-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the report! Glad you had fun! That's how we approached DL too. We booked it the day before and I read the DL chapter of our CA guide book on the drive the day before. It was pretty easy and lots of fun! We go back next month and hoping for a fun day again.

crl
01-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Glad you had fun!

Catherine

TwinFoxes
01-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Sounds great! So glad my Dumbo advice helped! :) DL is much more manageable than WDW, I think that's where the major planning comes in.

I love DL...but reading your post made me homesick for LA! I used to walk past that AG store all of the time, I don't think I ever went in, now of course I have reason too. Did you see any stars at The Grove? I used to see them there all of the time. Thai, Mexican, Santa Monica Mountains...sigh.

GonnaBJulymom
01-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Your post got me so excited!! sounds like you guys had a blast!

We're heading off next week! squeeeeee :yay:

DebbieJ
01-01-2013, 06:42 PM
I miss LA Mexican food too. :)

hellokitty
01-01-2013, 07:23 PM
It sounds like you had a great time! DL is very doable without any planning. Now for wdw, I think you need to plan of you don't want to get stuck in lines during crowded times.

sariana
01-01-2013, 08:21 PM
What day did you go? We went on the 27th--along with the whole rest of the world, I think! It was cold and super-crowded, but we still had fun because DD now is tall enough for everything except Indiana Jones. So she had lots of "firsts" this time. (We skipped Fantasyland entirely for my first time ever, with or without kids.)

citymama
01-01-2013, 08:24 PM
We went on the 28th. Did you pack in a lot more? Catch any shows? We expected crowds but it didn't get insane till around mid day. Then it was a zoo!

I'm sure more planning would have led to us catching a show and maybe another ride or two, but I think between the toddler and the grandparents, there's only so much we could have reasonably crammed in.

AnnieW625
01-02-2013, 12:05 AM
Glad you had a good trip. I love the parks themselves, but we always bring in our own food, and for dinner most times we go and eat Mediterranean food at a local place. Do tell me about the tea! We went to AG yesterday to return the Marie Grace I had bought before the Today Show sale, and we walked around for about an hour. She just got a dress. DD1 was begging me to have her doll's hair done, but she just got the doll a week ago. I am thinking of taking her back for the tea for her birthday.

Glad you had a good trip.

citymama
01-02-2013, 12:15 AM
I'm not sure of the right board to post about the tea, maybe KidFun?

Grandma went a little crazy with the kids at AG - she wisely bought some extras to save for both kids' birthdays which I didn't get a chance to do. The tea experience was wonderful! Each kid had their doll - DD1 got Josefina and DD2 got the African American bitty twin which she fell in love with instantly. The dolls sat in clip on highchairs and had little tea services too! (the one thing I bought was the tea sets like the tea service bc the kids clearly loved the set and $14 wasn't terrible.) the food was pretty nice and everyone was quite wonderful. The girls were dressed up (not matching with dolls like all the other girls but in their new Tea dresses which is dressed up for them!). It was a wonderful bonding experience with grandma and we all loved it! It's something to do at least once, maybe for a birthday or other special occasion.

SnuggleBuggles
01-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Did you notice if they were enforcing the end time on Fast Passes or can you still return anytime?

citymama
01-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Did you notice if they were enforcing the end time on Fast Passes or can you still return anytime?

I didn't notice because we went back in the time range listed (towards the end). Maybe someone else who used more of them could comment. I was surprised at how few rides were eligible for fast pass.

bisous
01-09-2013, 01:56 AM
Awesome! Glad you had fun. :)