PDA

View Full Version : Which food processor for pie crust/dough?

light-castle
01-02-2013, 12:06 AM
I have not ever owned a food processor & would like to buy one for pie crusts and cinnamon roll dough. Preferably not too huge, cupboard space is limited.

I really am clueless as to what features I need. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jennifer

m448
01-02-2013, 12:12 AM
A standard 11 cup will do. Mostly you'll need to have space for the recipe to work in the bowl. Most pie crust recipes are 2-3 cups of flour and most single bread doughs will be 4 cups. About 4 cups is the capacity of a dough to be worked in a food processor. I wouldn't necessarily buy it just for that but I love quickly making a dough in the food processor. One minute to pulse and one minute to knead, and done. I also make doughs by hand and rarely in the kitchenaid (biggest waste of time ever) but prefer the food processor when I'm rushed. The good thing is that the food processor will do other things like slice and shred. I make hot cocoa mix in it, mince meat (both raw and cooked) for recipes, etc. Pretty versatile if you like to cook.

kijip
01-02-2013, 01:00 AM
I am not sure why cinnamon rolls would be made easier in the food processor since none of the ingredients are hard to mix. Pie crust and pastry makes sense because you have to cut cold butter in to flour and that is a PITA.

Mostly I use my food processor to grate cheese or handle veggies for soups and big batches of quick bread. It is helpful but we did live without it ok!

An 11 cup should be fine. KitchenAide and Cuisinart are both great brands. I think we have a 14 cup but I am not sure as it was a gift.

m448
01-02-2013, 01:02 AM
Cinnamon rolls are usually an enriched dough (eggs, milk & butter) and thus stickier. Making it in the food processor let's you work the dough without adding any excess flour and yielding a more tender roll.

light-castle
01-02-2013, 11:16 AM
So is the 11 cup the smallest I should consider for pie crusts?

Jennifer