PDA

View Full Version : Do you love your Ipad?

lcarlson90
01-02-2013, 12:57 AM
I got money for Christmas and I was contemplating buying an Ipad mini. I already own a Macbook pro that I use a lot so I am not sure what purpose the Ipad would serve. If you have one do you love it and how do you use it?

sunnyside
01-02-2013, 01:13 AM
I have a MacBook Pro and am wondering this exact thing.

SASM
01-02-2013, 01:20 AM
I have an iPod touch 4th gen, MBP, and just received an iPad mini for Christmas. DH has a full iPad.with a Bluetooth keyboard...love that whole package! I love my MBP for its ease and if I have a fair amount of research I still use it. A lot of my regular use apps from my iPod need to be repurchased for the iPad Mini bc of the "HD" thing...very few were iPod/iPhone/iPad compatible...I was not expecting that! I can use them in the ipad but they are just the size of an iphone/ipod screen. I like the camera better on the Mini as opposed to my iPod 4 as it focuses and takes close ups but still no flash (no camera shortcut that I can find, which is a bummer). I prefer the Google Now feature on DS's Nexus 7 over the Mini's Siri...N7's seems more accurate. I like the smallness of the Mini especially with my Devicewear case and love my iBlason matte screen protector. I am using the Mini as we speak...more portable than MBP (plan on using it for college course use...main reason for purchase) and easier on eyes than iPod touch, which I use a lot in bed at night. That being said, I cannot look at it for extended periods for reading a book...still prefer Nook w Glowlight and e-ink for that purpose. Good luck with the decision. I was hoping to delay the purchase of this until after the next version was released, probably in the Spring, but DH bought it for me...was thrilled with an actual thoughtful gift and didn't have the heart to say lets hold off. Gosh...this is all ver the place...hope it makes sense at this hour. ;)

ETA that I have a 15" MBP...love it but it is much heavier than 13" or Air. ;) As I use this Mini I find myself missing all of my MBP features. That being said, this is a nice little thing to have. I plan on using it for e-textbooks (hopefully its compatible) and photographing lecture notes from projection.

crl
01-02-2013, 01:39 AM
I have the original iPad and love it. I use it for surfing, email, and e-reading. I only use a computer when I need to print, need flash on a website or need to create a long document--maybe twice a month? I carry my iPad around the house. I use it in the kitchen for recipes, while watching tv to make lists, in bed to read a book, etc, etc.

I am intrigued by the mini. I like the idea of it being just a bit smaller as I find the regular iPad a bit big for taking places. But I wonder if I would miss the bigger screen. . . . Especially for typing as the iPad is my primary email device and my primary means of posting on here.

Catherine

dhano923
01-02-2013, 02:03 AM
I have the original iPad and love it. I use it for surfing, email, and e-reading. I only use a computer when I need to print, need flash on a website or need to create a long document--maybe twice a month? I carry my iPad around the house. I use it in the kitchen for recipes, while watching tv to make lists, in bed to read a book, etc, etc.

:yeahthat: except I have an iPad2.

wendibird22
01-02-2013, 09:22 AM
I have a macbook pro and an ipad 3. I stopped bring the macbook home from work (except for weekends). I use the ipad exclusively to fb, web, BBB, etc. I also have an iphone so I didn't get the mini because I found it just too small. If i need portability that small I have my phone.

pastrygirl
01-02-2013, 09:37 AM
I was never interested in the regular iPad, but got the iPad Mini and LOVE IT. I used to drain my Macbook Pro battery almost daily, and now I hardly ever use it. I use the mini for almost everything, and oddly enough, I'm on it much less than I was on my laptop. Maybe because it's so easy to pick up and put down? vs the laptop, which I just get sucked into.

I hardly use my phone for another other than calls and (rare) texting now.

Kymberley
01-02-2013, 09:48 AM
I have a macbook pro and an ipad 3. I stopped bring the macbook home from work (except for weekends). I use the ipad exclusively to fb, web, BBB, etc. I also have an iphone so I didn't get the mini because I found it just too small. If i need portability that small I have my phone.

Almost exactly this. I don't work, so the Macbook pro stays home with me. I very much enjoy the iPad, but DH uses it the most, mostly for gaming. He loves it.

Drag0nflygirl
01-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Also if you get wireless on it, it is super for the kids in the car. Sadly DD1 can watch Netflix for hours if given the chance.

wellyes
01-02-2013, 09:58 AM
I use my ipad all day. I have an original model. I will say it has definitely fed my internet addiction LOL. But I definitely enjoy it. I played Angry Birds Star Wars to wind down before bed last night, and I looked up my email this morning from bed to avoid waking up the kids by walking around.

When it appeared to have died last month, there was no question to me that I'd replace it. I was thinking 'what Christmas presents will I skip to pay for the ipad replacement?' Luckily I was able to reset it and it's good as new.

roseyloxs
01-02-2013, 10:11 AM
I could live without it. I prefer using my macbook for everything. I only use the iPad if DH needs the computer. DS loves it almost to the point where I would say its a con since he can get a bit emotional if you tell him its time to put it away.

larig
01-02-2013, 10:41 AM
I have a macbook pro too and got a mini a month ago. I am using it way more than I thought I would. It's been nice for just sitting around and surfing, or taking it with me when I get my hair colored (salon has wifi). It's a great size for me. I wasn't interested in a full sized iPad, but the mini is a perfect complement to what I already have.

crl
01-02-2013, 10:59 AM
I have a macbook pro too and got a mini a month ago. I am using it way more than I thought I would. It's been nice for just sitting around and surfing, or taking it with me when I get my hair colored (salon has wifi). It's a great size for me. I wasn't interested in a full sized iPad, but the mini is a perfect complement to what I already have.

Do you have an iPhone as well? At some point I will replace my orginal iPad and the mini intrigues me because it is more portable. But I already have an iPhone 4s and I keep hearing that the mini is so close in size to the iPhone that it's not worth it.

Catherine

TwinFoxes
01-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Do you have an iPhone as well? At some point I will replace my orginal iPad and the mini intrigues me because it is more portable. But I already have an iPhone 4s and I keep hearing that the mini is so close in size to the iPhone that it's not worth it.

Catherine

I have an iPhone 5 (Larig does too) and the difference in screen size is quite noticeable. I love my mini, way more than I expected. We have a full size iPad (really it's DH's) and I'm so glad he got me this instead of the latest iPad!

A lot of my regular use apps from my iPod need to be repurchased for the iPad Mini bc of the "HD" thing...very few were iPod/iPhone/iPad compatible...I was not expecting that! I can use them in the ipad but they are just the size of an iphone/ipod screen.

My iPhone only apps have a little button when viewed on the iPad that reads "x2" which makes them full screen. They look fine when they fill the screen.

mom2khj
01-02-2013, 11:20 AM
I would if I had one! LOL.

When the first came out I thought I'd never use one, since I have a MacBook Pro. But the more I think about it, I would probably never use the MBP except for photo-editing, if I had an iPad.

SASM
01-02-2013, 11:30 AM
My iPhone only apps have a little button when viewed on the iPad that reads "x2" which makes them full screen. They look fine when they fill the screen.
I have that option and ave tried it but its very fuzzy.

crl
01-02-2013, 11:31 AM
I have an iPhone 5 (Larig does too) and the difference in screen size is quite noticeable. I love my mini, way more than I expected. We have a full size iPad (really it's DH's) and I'm so glad he got me this instead of the latest iPad!

Thank you!
Catherine

edurnemk
01-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Short answer: I like it but I don't love it, and could totally live without it.

I have a 13" Macbook Pro and a Smart Phone, I always thought an Ipad was totally unnecessary and refused to spend so much money on one. Then I got one as a hand-me-down when my dad upgraded from the Ipad 2 to Ipad 3 this year. I stand by my previous statement, it's overkill since I have a laptop and a smartphone. I usually prefer using my laptop (I hate typing on the Ipad and my laptop does a lo more stuff), I have taken the ipad instead when traveling but I really prefer the MBPro for pretty much everything and I find it almost as portable as the iPad (since it's a 13" and very light and compact).

I think that for some professions it's really useful because of it's portability. I also think that for people (like my mom) who don't use the computer for anything other than email, skype and web browsing, an ipad is more than enough (as in, instead of a laptop). In all other circumstances it just seems like a little (and expensive) whim. When our current iPad dies, I'm not replacing it, it's just not worth $500+ to me, there's a ton of other things I'd rather spend that money on.

FWIW I generally don't allow my kids to play with my phone or ipad, except under special circumstances (i.e. long flight). Btu even on those occasions they could play with our phones. So I really can't find a reason to buy one once our hand-me-down dies.

ETA: DH and I each have our own laptops.

mommylamb
01-02-2013, 12:00 PM
I just got the full sized ipad (3rd gen) and I'm totally loving it. It's my first ipad (though I do have an iphone 4s). Love the apps for kids. I just have to fight DS1 for it since it technically is a family gift. We have a macbook too, of which DH has pretty much taken sole ownership, though if I'm going to type anything lengthy, I prefer to use a regular keyboard. The auto-correct mistakes I've made lately on the ipad have been kind of comical :D.

I've also been loving watching Sherlock on Amazon Prime in bed. We have the DVDs, but they're the UK DVDs, so if I wanted to watch on the television, I'd need to be in our den, where we have the all regions player, and it's nice to be able to watch in bed on the ipad. (Sherlock is :thumbsup:. Totally obsessed now).

I can use them in the ipad but they are just the size of an iphone/ipod screen.

Some of my apps were coming up that way too, but there is a button (I think it was lower right hand side) that made them go full screen.

MichelleRC
01-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Love mine! We are now a 3 iPad family (one original, one refurb 2 and my new mini). I use it for internet, netflix, games, email, skype, accessing documents on the go. We are doing a pilot program at the school where I work to see what the possibilities are for using them in the classrooms, media center, admin.

I do not have an iPhone, so the mini is perfect for me to carry around in my purse.

BabbyO
01-02-2013, 02:18 PM
I like the iPad...pretty new in our home. We also have a macbook (but I don't know if it is a pro or not). I'm not a techy person...I still use and prefer "dumb" phones. I like that I can quickly check the weather, recipes, directions/maps, find phone numbers/hours to businesses. Plus Stachio is familiar with it and he loves the kids games/learning tools.

What I don't like so far:
-I HATE it for email
-not fond of it for BBB
-not used to typing on it...though I'm pretty sure that it will get better
-HATE, HATE, HATE that it doesn't have multiple user profiles. I have to figure out how to log DH out of facebook and email every time I want to check those things.

I think I'd be much happier if it had multiple user profiles...but that is mostly an issue if it is meant to be a Family iPad vs your own.

wolverine2
01-02-2013, 02:22 PM
We have a MacBook and also an ipad and I have an iphone (DH doesn't). We use both the laptop and the ipad all the time. The kids use the ipad for netflix and apps (when we let them). I use it interchangeably with the laptop for the most part- and it means DH and I can surf at the same time. If I'm going to need to be writing long e-mails or word documents, I prefer the laptop. If I'm watching something, I prefer the ipad- the resolution is better and I like not having the keyboard there. We also use the iPad for music- putting pandora on and plugging it in to the stereo.

I don't ever take the ipad out and about unless we're on a long car ride (so the kids can watch movies) or I need to entertain the kids somewhere else. It still fits in my purse- I don't really see any need for the mini since I have an iPhone.

lcarlson90
01-02-2013, 03:19 PM
It sounds like most of you really like your Ipads. Do you have the wifi only version or the 4G version? If you have the wifi only have you tried to tether it with your Iphone?

pastrygirl
01-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Mine is wifi only, and I can tether it to my android phone.

crl
01-02-2013, 04:05 PM
It sounds like most of you really like your Ipads. Do you have the wifi only version or the 4G version? If you have the wifi only have you tried to tether it with your Iphone?

I have 3G but only activate it when we travel to my parents where they do not have wifi and still use dial up.

Catherine

mommylamb
01-02-2013, 04:15 PM
wifi only here, which suits me fine, especially since I have an iphone anyway.

larig
01-02-2013, 04:16 PM

Catherine

Yes, an iPhone 5. I find there is a world of difference in the two. I'm really finding it a nice tool, and dh's iPad feels really heavy!

larig
01-02-2013, 04:20 PM
I like the iPad...pretty new in our home. We also have a macbook (but I don't know if it is a pro or not). I'm not a techy person...I still use and prefer "dumb" phones. I like that I can quickly check the weather, recipes, directions/maps, find phone numbers/hours to businesses. Plus Stachio is familiar with it and he loves the kids games/learning tools.

What I don't like so far:
-I HATE it for email
-not fond of it for BBB
-HATE, HATE, HATE that it doesn't have multiple user profiles. I have to figure out how to log DH out of facebook and email every time I want to check those things.

I think I'd be much happier if it had multiple user profiles...but that is mostly an issue if it is meant to be a Family iPad vs your own.

Maybe one of you could do Facebook in the browser and one use the app? I agree, it's hard to share them with someone.

larig
01-02-2013, 04:21 PM

I bought a 4g, haven't activated it yet. Might do so down the road when I am working.

dylansnan
01-02-2013, 04:29 PM
I love using my iPad all around the house- recipes, surfing the web on the couch, watching netflix while working out or sewing. But, all that said, the fact that my, barely 2 yearold, original iPad is not being supported by Apple anymore means I will NOT being buying another one.
I have an iPhone also, and have no problem- and expect- to replace a $100 phone every 3 years or so, but it's crazy for $500 tablet!

crl
01-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Yes, an iPhone 5. I find there is a world of difference in the two. I'm really finding it a nice tool, and dh's iPad feels really heavy!

Thank you for the feedback!
Catherine

Gena
01-02-2013, 06:02 PM

Catherine

I have an iPhone 4s and I got an iPad mini for Christmas. There is a huge difference between the screen sizes. I've been using my mini for handwriting meeting minutes, story-boarding business processes, and creating other documentation. I could never do those on my phone.

crl
01-02-2013, 06:11 PM
I have an iPhone 4s and I got an iPad mini for Christmas. There is a huge difference between the screen sizes. I've been using my mini for handwriting meeting minutes, story-boarding business processes, and creating other documentation. I could never do those on my phone.

Thank you!
Catherine

georgiegirl
01-02-2013, 06:27 PM
I love mine! I have an ipad 2 and got it when it came out (almost 2 years now.). There are only a few times a month when I need to log onto the desktop to do something. DH has one too, and it took him longer to warm up to it, but now he loves his too.

alexsmommy
01-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Yes, and I have the original with a bluetooth keyboard.

Love it.

I use it all of the time at home. I rarely bring my laptop home from work anymore.

lcarlson90
01-02-2013, 06:50 PM
I would like the 4G version but DH and I are considering switching back to AT&T in October when our contract is up and it was my understanding that if I want 4G I have to buy either a Verizon or AT&T version now and stick with it. Is this true?

westwoodmom04
01-02-2013, 06:57 PM
I like my Ipad 2 but definitely could live without it. I mostly use it to surf the web, but prefer the bigger screen of my laptop for shopping and e-mails. I would say that I use it as a substitute for my android phone in terms of internet surfing but my phone is 4G so it is faster.

sntm
01-03-2013, 12:17 AM
We have two (the older version) and I think they are highly overrated. Plus ours crash all.the.time - not blue screen of death like windows but just shuts down. Internet, netflix ap and pinterest ap do this constantly. And it's heavy and a lot of things just don't work on the touchscreen.

roseyloxs
01-03-2013, 03:36 AM
-I HATE it for email
-not fond of it for BBB

As another PP mentioned my DH uses the browser for FB while I use the app so no one needs to login and out. Also if you add your email accounts into your iPad and use Apple's mail app you don't have to login and out for email either you just push the tab of the account you want to check.

Other then that I agree with everything above. Typing on it sucks, not a fan of using it for FB, BBB, or email. It works though and I enjoy playing games on it.

squimp
01-03-2013, 03:44 AM
I have been using it for recipes in the kitchen and that is freaking awesome. If I only had word suite on it I would be set.

citymama
01-03-2013, 03:45 AM

Interesting. I've been following this thread as I'm in the same situation as the OP. I work from home, have a MacBook Pro and iPhone, and wondering whether to spring for/request an iPad for my upcoming 40th birthday (yikes!). And if so, whether to get the iPad or mini. This helps...I think!

HannaAddict
01-03-2013, 05:10 AM
We all love the iPad. I have a MacBook Pro and wasn't eager to get one, but am convinced. Email, web browsing, lookin things up when out and about - a mobile command center since we have service too. Kids stream Netflix kids shows and games too. Lots of fighting over it and I see a mini in our future. Just took it to the mountain place and kids used it and we did too for keeping in touch with civilization. I can stick it in my purse or bag and go - and wouldn't want to so that with my MacBook. Still need and love my MacBook but the iPad is great.

ETA have 4G. For how we use it, we love having service and wouldn't want a wifi only device. This is a mobile road warrior not a laptop replacement.

BabbyO
01-03-2013, 10:29 AM
As another PP mentioned my DH uses the browser for FB while I use the app so no one needs to login and out. Also if you add your email accounts into your iPad and use Apple's mail app you don't have to login and out for email either you just push the tab of the account you want to check.

Other then that I agree with everything above. Typing on it sucks, not a fan of using it for FB, BBB, or email. It works though and I enjoy playing games on it.

Facebook is less annoying to me than email....and there really isn't an option except to use Apple's mail app. Neither of us like it though...we are used to Gmail and love it. Frankly, I've only ever had 2 email accounts...my current Gmail and the VAX when I was in college. Tech isn't my thing...so I like to stick with what I know.

Now, don't get me wrong...I wasn't saying that I hate the iPad...I just hate using it for certain things. But I do love that I can just pick it up and do a quick search for something or use it to entertain the kids without having to wait for the macbook to start up and login into it.

I do wonder if some of the android tablets would have been a better fit since we are using it as a family tablet...but DH liked certain features of the iPad better so we went with the iPad.

westwoodmom04
01-03-2013, 10:41 AM
I'm watching closely for Microsoft to work out the kinks with the Surface. The flexible keyboard cover gets good reviews, and the tablet already has the ability to have the Word suite. A tablet that can be used for word processing, with power pointe etc. is much more valuable in my mind that one that can't.

larig
01-03-2013, 11:23 AM
I'm watching closely for Microsoft to work out the kinks with the Surface. The flexible keyboard cover gets good reviews, and the tablet already has the ability to have the Word suite. A tablet that can be used for word processing, with power pointe etc. is much more valuable in my mind that one that can't.

I've read the keyboard has been cracking (http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-admits-surface-keyboard-splitting-problem-7000007189/). MS is releasing iPad versions of office ths year, it is rumored. You an use an iPad ith google docs and apple's pages, but I and others in this thread have MBPs already, so if we need word processing we can use them.

khm
01-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Facebook is less annoying to me than email....and there really isn't an option except to use Apple's mail app. Neither of us like it though...we are used to Gmail and love it. Frankly, I've only ever had 2 email accounts...my current Gmail and the VAX when I was in college. Tech isn't my thing...so I like to stick with what I know.

Now, don't get me wrong...I wasn't saying that I hate the iPad...I just hate using it for certain things. But I do love that I can just pick it up and do a quick search for something or use it to entertain the kids without having to wait for the macbook to start up and login into it.

I do wonder if some of the android tablets would have been a better fit since we are using it as a family tablet...but DH liked certain features of the iPad better so we went with the iPad.

There is a Gmail app fyi.

hellokitty
01-03-2013, 03:42 PM
I don't have an ipad, but I have an hp tablet that is similar in size to an ipad. I also have a netbook and iphone 4. I like my smartphone, it is so portable. I also like my netbooks, b/c I am really attached to having a physical keyboard, I really suck at typing with a touchscreen. I like my tablet basically just for browsing, but if it a forum where I am post more often, I think it's a PITA. My DH mostly uses his hp tablet and is pretty happy with it, but I have always been very attached to my keyboards. I'm even excited to hear that they are going to bring back the old fashioned computer keyboards that are soft touch, but clickity clack style. I loved those. So, my opinion is that my tablet is completely frivolous. I don't really need it, it's nice for pinterest, facebook and lurking on forums where I mostly read, but for email and forums that I am active at, I don't like it. If I had to pick btwn a smartphone and tablet, I'd go with the smartphone. The tablet is still pretty big and I find my hands get tired holding it. I do like the smaller tablets, we just got the kids a nexus 7 with christmas $ from relatives and it is a really ideal size.

squimp
01-03-2013, 04:54 PM
I've read the keyboard has been cracking (http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-admits-surface-keyboard-splitting-problem-7000007189/). MS is releasing iPad versions of office ths year, it is rumored. You an use an iPad ith google docs and apple's pages, but I and others in this thread have MBPs already, so if we need word processing we can use them.

Yeah I almost went for that one because it would be perfect - maybe in a few years. I would love to be able to travel without my heavy laptop but I will need Ppt and word.

zukeypur
01-03-2013, 05:05 PM
The only time I use the MacBook Pro is for printing coupons, because you can't install a coupon printer on the iPad. I just got an AirPrint capable printer for Christmas, so now I really never use the MBP.

I used to keep my recipes on the MacBook and would have to take the computer in the kitchen to cook, but since I now have the Paprika app (BBB recommendation....THANK YOU!!!!!) I can pull up the recipes on my iPad.