PDA

View Full Version : NewUpdate on 3/6! Need to get this out somewhere...I'm having a tummy tuck!

AJP
01-02-2013, 11:54 AM
I'm 2 months out from surgery and I'm posting my update pics down below in post #122.
I feel great and am so thrilled with my results. I am amazed when I get dressed every day. No more "thing" sticking out my front!!

I'm finally having my tummy tuck and abdominal muscle repair on monday! I'm scared out of my mind to be going through with elective surgery and feel all of the mommy guilt for doing this for myself. My DH is supportive of me going through with it, but keeps warning me that I'll have a LONG recovery. Sigh. No kidding! My MIL is very supportive and has made time in her schedule to help out along with my mom (who is supportive, but worried about me not having as much help as I'll need). She is great with my kids, but is like "you're really doing it? Now?" She doesn't get it the way my MIL does. DH worries cause he works long days and isn't around much to help.
I'm just so READY to have a body back that isn't want I've dealt with after 6.5 pound twins (each), getting painfully big and looking like I'm still pregnant. Dressing my body is a daily struggle since my stomach is at least a size or two bigger than the rest of me. I'm not being vain and doing it to get back into a bikini, although I look forward to that if my results warrant it. I just can't wait to be able to wear the clothes I already own without wondering if I should stuff my tummy in or just let it hang over my pants. We spent a good amount of time at ghe beach ghis summer and finding a tankini bottom ghat would actually keep my tummy in was HARD.
I have only told family members and one close friend who also has twins and "gets it". Haven't told my two other best friends. I am prepping my house and sticking my kitchen for the fallout that will be me (the Wonder Woman who does everything around here) recovering.
If you can spare some mojo and prayers I'd be thrilled and maybe I'll even post some pics!
If you've had the surgery PLEASE give my your tips and recovery stories and tell me it will be worth it.

brittone2
01-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Thinking of you and wishing you the best with your surgery and recovery.

I have "twin skin" post babies, even though I was young when I had DS1 (mid 20s and should have had better skin elasticity LOL!)...that's when it began. And a diastasis, although that has improved considerably with the Tupler thing. But yeah, I've entertained the notion of a tummy tuck, although in my case, it would primarily be a vanity/get back in a bikini thing, so I talk myself back out of it. Realistically, I won't do it, but I totally understand why someone would, especially after having twins.

Hopefully your recovery will go as smoothly as possible. :grouphug:

sste
01-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Sorry no btdt but I am going to get one so I understand the reasoning! And I am probably the least likely person you would ever peg for a tummy tuck or any cosmetic surgery . . . I barely shave my legs half of the time! In my case I am going to need an umbilical hernia repair and if they do that they are going to repair my diastasis. At that point of surgical intervention, they are already in and what the h*ll, I am getting the extra skin removed and my belly button restructured (it looks really odd right now, just not normal).

I am trying to figure out if I can get this done without general anesthesia which I think is a possibility.

Anyway, I completely understand. I def. have a pooch and yes a little of it is fat but most of it is my freaking intestines and organs and everything hanging out through the hernia and diastasis. And it is really hard for me to lift the kids. I can't even blow a balloon. I have been working with abdominal exercises and pilates and they help . . . but I want the knife!!!

Have a speedy recovery and don't think twice about this. Let's just say we have all become more broadminded after having kids . . . and after having 6.5lb twins you are well within your rights to tell any naysayers to stfu please!

ETA: More congrats on this! Also, I have found it to be a good thing in some respects for the wonderwoman of the house to take a break. Your recovery will be a time when other relatives can grow closer to your kids and also (at least in my case) your DH can get more involved in the parenting daily work which will make his bond to the kids different and give him new perspective on your work. :) At the end of the day, I think it comes down to the fact that if whatever in life is really important to you, your family and friends should back it.

Momof3Labs
01-02-2013, 12:38 PM
I had two 7lb+ twins - I get it!!! I need to lose some weight right now but can imagine how much worse the twin skin will look after weight loss. If I can lose and keep the weight off, I will probably start saving for a tummy tuck, too.

Good luck!!

TwinFoxes
01-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Good luck to you, I hope you have a speedy recovery.:hug: And yay for your MIL for being supportive.

g-mama
01-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Good luck and good for you! :yay:

I haven't had a tummy tuck but I did have a breast lift and reduction four years ago. Best thing I ever did and the recovery was a LOT easier than I had expected. It was all worth it, and I bet you'll feel the same way when it's all said and done.

Binkandabee
01-02-2013, 12:46 PM
I recently had a tummy tuck as a part of my breast reconstruction surgery. My plastic surgeon used my abdominal fat to create my new breasts, and a tummy tuck was a part of the process. I'm going to be straightforward, it is painful. VERY, VERY painful. I knew it was going to be painful, but I seriously underestimated the amount of pain I would be in. The pain from the tummy tuck far exceed the pain from the mastectomies and reconstruction.

My situation isn't exactly like yours because I was also recovering from a bilateral mastectomy and immediate reconstruction, but I think similar enough that I might be able to give you some tips.

What helped me the very most was this:

http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/Comfort-Dreams-Zero-Gravity-Adjustable-3-Piece-Wedge-System/6333001/product.html

My plastic surgeon required that I sleep mostly upright for several weeks after surgery. My surgery was 12 weeks ago and just this past week, I was finally able to sleep on my side/back. Sleeping upright takes some of the pressure off of your abdomen and incision.

The other thing that was the most helpful was getting up and getting moving. I was up walking the day after surgery and have continued to walk daily since then. The LAST thing on the face of the earth I wanted to do right after surgery was walk, but the faster you do it, the sooner you will recover. Initially, you will be very hunched over, but over time your abdomen will stretch and in a week or so, you should be completely upright. My first walk was only around the hospital floor, but each time I walked, I made sure to go further than the last time.

I returned to work at 4.5 weeks post op on a part-time basis. Hard for me to say whether I'd have been able to return sooner than that had I only had a tummy tuck, but my hunch is yes. I think I would have been basically back at it at 2 weeks or so.

Will you have any drains? I have some advice on that issue as well, but not sure if all tummy tuck patients have them or not? I had 4, one at each hip and one at each breast.

Melbel
01-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Wishing you a successful surgery and speedy recovery! I also have a diastasis, that is a factor with my lower back pain and core strength. I did not have twins, but my son was over 9 lbs and I am incredibly short waisted, which resulted in plenty of extra skin. Having 3 C-sections did not help either. My weight is fine, but my abs look terrible. Surgery is on my wish list (well at least my list of things to check into to see if would help with my back issues). Good luck! Please keep us posted!

maestramommy
01-02-2013, 12:59 PM
:hug::cheerleader1: Congrats! I can't imagine having that problem with clothes, must be maddening! I'm glad you at least have the support of immediate family.

TxCat
01-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Good luck and congrats! Hope you have an easy and smooth recovery.

KLD313
01-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Good luck to you. My stomach is wrecked from two c-sections. One of my babies was big and I have so much extra skin and I still look pregnant. I have weight to lose but I fear that will make the skin issue even worse. Once I lose the weight I would totally get a tummy tuck. I agree about getting dressed. I can't wear jeans, shirts are too short in me. All I can wear are leggings and tunics. I'm not sure what I'll do when summer rolls around.

Please keep us updated.

elliput
01-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Best of luck with the surgery! I hope everything goes well and that you have a relatively easy recovery.

My DH has lost over 200lbs, and has a bunch of loose stomach skin. It is a PITA for him with regards to clothes also, so I understand your excitement.

AJP
01-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Thank you all! And keep the tips and honest stories of recovery coming! I am prepared mentally for pain. I know I will have it and have had surgery before (breast lift in 04 pre-kids and 2 c sections). My surgeon will fix whatever issues he finds regarding my stomach muscles (diastasis, hernia etc) and I expect he will find a lot to fix!
I have a ton of loose skin below my belly button that looks worse with every pound I shed AND the protruding area above my BB from the muscle damage. I am looking forward to my back taking a break from supporting my body as my abs no longer do the job.
I feel as though I'm carrying this alien outside of my body and can't wait to have it gone. And, yes, to get me through this I am looking at bikinis online for the first time since '07. I can not wait to be able to keep a pair of underpants on without them uncomfortably rolling down into my section scar and falling off my behind! I would fit my pre-twin pg jeans and pants if it were not for my stomach probs.

AJP
01-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Yes, I'll have two drains. Not looking forward to that. I know it's necessary, but I'm sure ill look forward to having them removed!
I neglected to mention that I'm having my breasts re-lifted. I figured I'd be laid up and in pain, so what the heck. :bag:

twowhat?
01-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Oh my, oh my, oh my - I am SO EXCITED for you!!!!

I also had 6.5 lb twins (each) and I am a very thin-framed person (BMI of 18 when I got pregnant). So I carried them ALL out in front and my stomach is also a wrecked mess - lots of twinskin (have to tuck it into my pants) and a huge diastasis despite a partial repair. I TOTALLY GET the frustration of dressing yourself - of the gross extra tissue that doesn't have the same nerve endings as the rest of you so that it feels foreign. Of looking pregnant esp at the end of the day. I've been dressing carefully to hide my tummy and shopping for clothes is painful because it has become less fun and more "technical" as I dissect each piece to be sure it will look nice on me. I am completely self-conscious about it. Won't even let DH touch it - it grosses me out. And yes - I know my back muscles are totally compensating for my abdominal muscles - my back is stronger than it's EVER been, without me doing anything.

My OB did a partial tuck during my c-section where he tried to repair as much of the diastasis as he possibly could, given that of course my uterus was still huge. I am convinced that is why my c-section recovery was so painful - I maxed out the doses on the pain med pump, begged for an extra day in the hospital, and couldn't walk straight for weeks. It just plain HURT LIKE HELL. Not the incision - I hardly noticed the incision! But just the pain in the abdomen...ugh. Honestly - it's why I am too afraid to go through with a whole tummy tuck. We could afford it if I really wanted it, and DH would be supportive of it...but it scares me sh*tless.

So I am proud of you that you're going to plow through. I'm sure the results will be worth it. And maybe your story will convince me to rethink it:)

AJP
01-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Oh my, oh my, oh my - I am SO EXCITED for you!!!!

I also had 6.5 lb twins (each) and I am a very thin-framed person (BMI of 18 when I got pregnant). So I carried them ALL out in front and my stomach is also a wrecked mess - lots of twinskin (have to tuck it into my pants) and a huge diastasis despite a partial repair. I TOTALLY GET the frustration of dressing yourself - of the gross extra tissue that doesn't have the same nerve endings as the rest of you so that it feels foreign. Of looking pregnant esp at the end of the day. I've been dressing carefully to hide my tummy and shopping for clothes is painful because it has become less fun and more "technical" as I dissect each piece to be sure it will look nice on me. I am completely self-conscious about it. Won't even let DH touch it - it grosses me out. And yes - I know my back muscles are totally compensating for my abdominal muscles - my back is stronger than it's EVER been, without me doing anything.

My OB did a partial tuck during my c-section where he tried to repair as much of the diastasis as he possibly could, given that of course my uterus was still huge. I am convinced that is why my c-section recovery was so painful - I maxed out the doses on the pain med pump, begged for an extra day in the hospital, and couldn't walk straight for weeks. It just plain HURT LIKE HELL. Not the incision - I hardly noticed the incision! But just the pain in the abdomen...ugh. Honestly - it's why I am too afraid to go through with a whole tummy tuck. We could afford it if I really wanted it, and DH would be supportive of it...but it scares me sh*tless.

So I am proud of you that you're going to plow through. I'm sure the results will be worth it. And maybe your story will convince me to rethink it:)

All of this is so familiar. Not wanting DH near my stomach, let alone the horror of him touching it, shopping and dressing becoming technical etc. It's really the only way I've convinced myself to do it. I am wearing a size 10 and feel like if my tummy would only fit in there life would be a lot easier in the dressing myself and keeping it all in department. My DH is supportive of me how I look now, but the thought of him touching my stomach grosses me out to the point that I want to wear a shirt at all times. I'm SURE he will enjoy the results just as much as me, even though he loves me the way I am. He knows my struggles are affecting daily life.

twowhat?
01-02-2013, 01:57 PM
All of this is so familiar. Not wanting DH near my stomach, let alone the horror of him touching it, shopping and dressing becoming technical etc. It's really the only way I've convinced myself to do it. I am wearing a size 10 and feel like if my tummy would only fit in there life would be a lot easier in the dressing myself and keeping it all in department. My DH is supportive of me how I look now, but the thought of him touching my stomach grosses me out to the point that I want to wear a shirt at all times. I'm SURE he will enjoy the results just as much as me, even though he loves me the way I am. He knows my struggles are affecting daily life.

This is me, exactly. DH is great about it and it doesn't bother him and he keeps reminding me that I had TWO big babies in there and it looks great for that. But my shirt stays on in bed. :bag.

I have the same problem with pants which is why I'm trying to add more dresses to my wardrobe. But the waist and skirt have to be pleated just right. Ugh. I will definitely be following your story.

boogiemom
01-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Good for you! You don't have to justify your decision. Do it for you. Yes, there will be pain but focus on the end results. Imagine how much more comfortable you will feel in your own body. Report back! Speedy recovery!

123LuckyMom
01-02-2013, 02:14 PM
I'm so happy for you!

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm even one little bit, but I do want to offer a caution you might discuss with your surgeon. My mother had a tummy tuck, and when she had breast cancer and needed reconstructive surgery, it was a long, not easy, and not fully successful process because they could not use her belly fat and extra skin as they did for Binkandabee. I've always been a bit concerned about that since there is a long maternal history of breast cancer (all survivors) in my family. There must be alternatives now that did not exist then, though. Your surgeon will be able to tell you about them, I'm sure.

I hope your surgery is all that you hope for and more and that your recovery is quick and as easy as possible! Good luck!!!

SkyrMommy
01-02-2013, 02:16 PM
:hug: Many wishes for a successful surgery and quick recovery.

amldaley
01-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Sending some surgery and recovery mojo your way!

lcarlson90
01-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Good for you!!! I don't think you should feel bad and you are not vein at all. There is nothing wrong with wanting our bodies to look the way they did before kids.

I had a breast lift a month ago and it was the best thing I ever did. I don't think I could do a tummy tuck though mainly because I imagine the recovery must be a lot harder than the breast lift. Enjoy your bikini shopping!

cleo27
01-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Good luck! I hope your recovery is better than expected.

Binkandabee
01-02-2013, 03:23 PM
About the drains....double pad them at the drain sites with ADB pads or surgical pads. I didn't do this (didn't know to) and one of my drains lost suction and had to be pulled early. What that meant was the other drain had to stay in an extended period time, 4 weeks, at which point my doc said it had to be pulled even though it was still outputting 70cc. I would cut a slit for the first pad, then tape it up, then cover the entire area with another pad. My remaining drain was like Ft. Knox!

Also, make sure you follow the docs instructions on compression. All of them differ on what is required, but compression definitely helps keep the swelling down. I'm 12 weeks post-op and still wear my abdominal binder from time to time as I still notice some swelling.

123luckymom is correct in that a tummy tuck will prevent you from being able to use abdominal tissue in the event you ever need reconstructive surgery. But, abdominal tissue isn't the only available donor site...you can use hips, thighs, back, etc. if you ever find yourself in the unfortunate position of needing reconstruction.

I LOVE my new flat tummy. I had a 10 pound baby and all the workouts in the world would have never gotten rid of the extra skin that I had. My clothes fit better, I feel better, I look better....it's wonderful! Once you're recovered, I have no doubt you will be so happy you did this. During recovery, you will probably question yourself....but the pain will eventually go away!

Good luck!

AJP
01-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Thank you!!! I'm going to start posting affirmation post it's for when I'm questioning who the insane person was who signed me up for this recovery. Lol Thanks for the drain tips! I will be padding them! This is the grossest part for me to picture...having to deal with them hanging around. Literally.

Binkandabee
01-02-2013, 03:35 PM
I know I definitely questioned if I'd done the right thing multiple times. Now, I am so, so happy I went this route.

The drains are a pain in the rear. They don't hurt (nor does having them removed, BTW), but they always have to be dealt with....be it stripping them (use purell to help your fingers slide down the tubes better), hanging them around your neck for a shower, or being cautious with the bag they're in.

Mikey0709
01-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Do you have a recliner in the house??? I slept in one for 2 months! Nooooo way i could lay flat or even get comfy in anything but the recliner partially sitting up. Actually I had surgery over 8 years ago and still cannot sleep or lie on my stomach. I also to this day have no feeling in most of my skin around the abdominal area which feels very odd. (Long story) but mine was done for medical reasons BEFORE I had kids.... And though it was extremely painful, I have no regrets. Good luck!

TwoBees
01-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Congrats and good luck!

waitingforgrace
01-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Good luck, I hope everything works out beautifully!

I'd love updates when you feel up to it, pretty please :)

viba424
01-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Was it a Cover Girl commercial that says "because youre worth it"

Good luck and hope it turns out great!

american_mama
01-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Before and after photos, please! It's for the self-esteem of the women of America! Honestly, I look at celebrities who've had children plural (Gwen Stefani, Kate Hudson, Heidi Klum, so many more) and apparently all of them have incredibly flat bellies post-partum. Jennifer Lopez having twins at 39 or whatever... fabulous tummy.

It is truly distorting my sense of what a body normally looks like after twins or multiple pregnancies. I really have no idea of what fitness and diet (and I suppose liberal use of shapewear) can accomplish anymore versus results that are from surgery.

So I say definitely post before and after shots!

cuca_
01-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Congratulations!! I am so jealous. After 4 c-sections my stomach is a mess. I dream of a tummy tuck, but am too chicken to do it.

DrSally
01-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Good luck!

twowhat?
01-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Before and after photos, please! It's for the self-esteem of the women of America! Honestly, I look at celebrities who've had children plural (Gwen Stefani, Kate Hudson, Heidi Klum, so many more) and apparently all of them have incredibly flat bellies post-partum. Jennifer Lopez having twins at 39 or whatever... fabulous tummy.

It is truly distorting my sense of what a body normally looks like after twins or multiple pregnancies. I really have no idea of what fitness and diet (and I suppose liberal use of shapewear) can accomplish anymore versus results that are from surgery.

So I say definitely post before and after shots!

If AJP doesn't want to post before shots, I am totally willing to share what my belly looks like for those who want a visual of what a twin pregnancy really does. I dunno WTH is the matter with celebrities that have had twins. All I can say is: UNFAIR. Even Octomom's stomach looks a thousand times better than mine.

♥ms.pacman♥
01-02-2013, 10:45 PM
wow congrats OP and good luck with everything! please keep us updated!!

lol i was wondering this too. I know many celebs have trainers, personal chefs, nannies etc but still...i can't imagine how i personally, even with all the time/help in the world, could ever have a nice looking flat tummy like they do, especially just weeks after giving birth. despite ebf i still looked about 6-7 months pregnant for a good 6 months post-partum, and even 20+ months post partum i still look 3-4 mos preg... its depressing! and it's not only with celebrities....with DD's swim class, i hated having to get in the water with all these other moms, with their 9 month olds, showing off flat stomachs in bikinis, looking better than i did in college. bleh.

american_mama
01-02-2013, 11:30 PM
I am totally willing to share what my belly looks like for those who want a visual of what a twin pregnancy really does.

i would love that! Because I really don't know what people mean when they say twinskin.

As for octomom, well, she obviously had surgery after the births.

I know there is the website shapeofamother, but I don't find that super helpful, seeing as there are 20 year old mom's and 60 year old mom's posting there. Plus, the photo quality varies so much.

happy2bamom
01-02-2013, 11:43 PM
I sent you a pm :)

AJP
01-03-2013, 10:29 AM
I've taken the before pics, but they just show how big my stomach is and not really the sagging skin down below. I had to try to relax my stomach for a few minutes cause I'm so used to holding it in to keep my upper tummy in. I'll take some of my lower stomach to better show the "twin skin" after my wax. I've been letting everything grow in a bit to get waxed before surgery.
If anyone else wants to post pics before I get the courage, please do!!! Lol

AJP
01-03-2013, 10:39 AM
As for octomom, she looks how I did before my twins...ok, better. Not sure if she's a freak of nature, or if she had a TT, but I don't see the scars that should be from hip to hip if she did have surgery. I would think that with the size she grew to, there would be one long @$$ scar! She was huge while pregnant. I know some twin and triplet moms who didnt get as big as me, and while I haven't seen them rocking a bikini, they look pretty awesome. My one friend whose twins were under 4lbs each, and she has stretch marks, but no diastasis and not too much sagging.

twowhat?
01-03-2013, 12:13 PM
OK here goes...even if I'm disgusted with it, I am secretly proud of my body for what it did:) NSFW warning. I also fully admit that I know my case is NOT the worst. I did have a partial repair so the diastasis could be worse.

Twinskin. Even my goosebumps are stretched out if you look closely down at the bottom of the flap. This is the "Christmas Tree" that everyone talks about. I have my pants pulled down to my hips. The "flap" is where it hangs over my c-section scar.

Diastasis. I hadn't eaten any dinner yet but after I eat a meal, it bulges out much more.

Again, haven't eaten a meal yet so it's not bulging as much but this is what happens when I wear jeans. I pulled my pants up to where a lower-rise jeans waistband would hit at my high hip. Tuck the skin in? Let it hang out? I tuck it in, but it always works its way back out. This is why I can't wear knit tops...they show that deflated muffin top. One time I actually BUTTONED my skin into the buttonhole of my jeans. It HURT LIKE HECK! I am very very careful about zippers now because of that:)

This is me at 35 weeks. I carried to 38 weeks, 2 days so I got even bigger at the very end. I gained as much weight as the brown dog (60 pounds - more than half of my starting weight). I had callouses on my feet from all that extra weight!

So...as you can see I am TRULY excited to see OP go through with the tummy tuck...I think it'll make a WORLD of difference!

Melaine
01-03-2013, 01:00 PM
If AJP doesn't want to post before shots, I am totally willing to share what my belly looks like for those who want a visual of what a twin pregnancy really does. I dunno WTH is the matter with celebrities that have had twins. All I can say is: UNFAIR. Even Octomom's stomach looks a thousand times better than mine.

I'll do it if you do it. Maybe we should have a real bellies thread.

ETA: Oh I missed you did it already!! I'm proud of you! And I recognize those lines for sure. I'll post when DS is willing to be put down.

sste
01-03-2013, 01:01 PM
I applaud you twowhat! :) And again, 6 plus pound twins! I can see in your pictures--and in the mirror when I look at myself --how it affects your back. That is part of what really bothers me, the back strain. And when I try to lift I instinctually try to ground my stomach muscles . . . and there is nothing there. Being unable to blow the kids birthday balloons really put me over the edge though.

OP, do report back to us. I am willing to deal with pain, recovery, drains, etc. and I am working around my anesthesia issues. I am worried about the perm. numbness issue - - I know it is not common, but does anyone know what if anything predicts that?

Even with that I would rather have perm. numb than the back issues plus the cosmetic ones.

Melaine
01-03-2013, 01:10 PM
My BFF just had this surgery...I haven't talked to her yet. I know she is struggling with recovery because she can't lift her one year old who is 30 lbs.

Charlie
01-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Good luck OP! I fantasize about having a tummy tuck.....

And thank you to twowhat? for posting those pictures. I had singletons but my stomach looks exactly the same. It's depressing when so many women I know have babies and have flat tummies almost immediately, or if not they are just a little rounder but don't have to deal with all the wrinkly extra skin. It's nice to know that other women are dealing with the same body issue and look like me!

Binkandabee
01-03-2013, 01:46 PM
I applaud you twowhat! :) And again, 6 plus pound twins! I can see in your pictures--and in the mirror when I look at myself --how it affects your back. That is part of what really bothers me, the back strain. And when I try to lift I instinctually try to ground my stomach muscles . . . and there is nothing there. Being unable to blow the kids birthday balloons really put me over the edge though.

OP, do report back to us. I am willing to deal with pain, recovery, drains, etc. and I am working around my anesthesia issues. I am worried about the perm. numbness issue - - I know it is not common, but does anyone know what if anything predicts that?

Even with that I would rather have perm. numb than the back issues plus the cosmetic ones.

It's actually pretty common, from what I've read, especially along and just above and below the incision line. I have quite a bit of numbness across my entire abdomen still and it honestly doesn't bother me a bit. I hardly notice it. Some nerve regrowth can continue for up to 18 months after surgery, according to my plastic surgeon.

Binkandabee
01-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Trying to get up the nerve to post my before and after pics! No problem with the after, but the before...ugh!

AJP
01-03-2013, 02:08 PM
First off, amazing, AMAZING pg pic!!! You look all baby! I was definitely huge all over and my belly was wide! You seem to have a smaller build than me. And I think we have the SAME "brown dog". Mine has passed now, but right down to the ears and white spot, they could be twins.
As for your post twin belly, you look pretty great IMHO. I'll post my pics in a bit. When I was about 10lbs lighter (before getting pg with my DS) I had a lot more of the sagging than what you see now. I have to really sick in my upper tummy to show how much sag there is. All skin below the BB and the big bulge above.
Thank you for having the courage to share these! I do also look at my body and I'm pretty proud that it/I carried my girls to 38w also. Easpecially since it took me years of trying and ivf to get there. I just don't want to deal with still looking that way KWIM?

AJP
01-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Ok. Here goes. I will probably delete soon.
DELETED PICS
I don't have any pg pics on my phone but will add one later.

twowhat?
01-03-2013, 02:36 PM
AJP, you totally deserve this tummy tuck. Thank you for sharing! It is truly amazing what the body can do.

I am really excited for you! I dunno if you ever watched Kate Plus 8 (I hate her, but I had this sick fascination with the show) but on one episode she shows her stomach. It was awful and looked worse that yours or mine. She had a tummy tuck too and the "after" reveal was AMAZING.
You will love it! Good recovery vibes headed your way!

eta: also hilarious that you had the same "brown dog"! He's our sweetheart. The girls have (accidentally) stomped on his nose, fallen on top of him, kicked his snout while he was laying there and most of the time he doesnt't even bother to get up and move (and at worst he has yelped and then stood and walked a few feet away before making himself comfortable again).

Binkandabee
01-03-2013, 02:47 PM
You gave me the courage to post mine. I was hesitant because all I have for before pics are ones that show my panties...was a bit embarassed, but no reason to be I suppose. I will do that tonight so you can see before and after side by side.

You will LOVE your new tummy!

AJP
01-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Yes, please post! I'm sporting my panties too! Lol.
And twowhat, I did watch the episode when Kate showed her "droopy dog" or whatever she nicknamed her tummy. It made me feel like I wished someone would feel for me and pay for my TT. Lol. Not fitting into anything helped me save $ toward my surgery though. So no PS feeling badly for me necessary.
I plan to take a series of after shots so I will update.

mickminmom
01-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Congrats on going forward with the tuck, OP! Very exciting! Wishing you a quick and easy recovery!

Thanks for posting pictures as I had not seen any pics of twin skin before...yay for your bodies carrying all that baby! Go mommas!

twowhat?
01-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Yes, please post! I'm sporting my panties too! Lol.
And twowhat, I did watch the episode when Kate showed her "droopy dog" or whatever she nicknamed her tummy. It made me feel like I wished someone would feel for me and pay for my TT. Lol. Not fitting into anything helped me save $ toward my surgery though. So no PS feeling badly for me necessary.
I plan to take a series of after shots so I will update.

It was something Jon had nicknamed it. Jowls of a dog? Something like that? And YES - it also made me wish someone had paid for me to have one! Not so much because I couldn't save up for it and afford it on my own...more to force me to get one:)

boogiemom
01-03-2013, 03:09 PM
I have lost 100 lbs in the last year and have a similar problem. Still have 35 or so to lose but may do a TT after. Major excess weight for years plus two c-sections plus significant loss equals a hot mess! DH says it isn't bad and it doesn't look horrifying when I'm standing but, to really show him, I put myself in plank position. It is truly horrifying to see it hang away from my body. I understand why you are choosing this for yourself but no one needs to understand but you. Praying for strength and a healthy, uneventful, pain free recovery for you!

123LuckyMom
01-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Thank you guys for posting! I have an above incision pooch, too. I'd love to get myself back in order after a few years when I've done all that exercise can do. I also really want a breast reduction!!! My breasts have always been huge, like DD to DDD, but since nursing DS, I have never dropped below a G cup! The huge boobs hide the poochy tummy in clothes, but they're really uncomfortable. I never got a reduction, because I knew I wanted to nurse, and I was worried about having issues. When my nursing life is done, though, I'm saving up!!!

boogiemom
01-03-2013, 03:27 PM
I had a reduction years ago. It was so freeing! Unfortunately, with my recent weight loss, my previously perky, full Cs are now deflated. :-( Maybe I'll check into a lift when I check into a TT. Could use a tightening of my bat wings and inner thighs, too! Major overhaul needed!

mctlaw
01-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Good for you, op!!
I must say, I am among the moms to singles, and my tummy looks like, we'll worse than, two what?'s. plus I have "dead" feeling skin there. And it's lumpy. Im hoping for a little more improvement at 7 months pp.Has anyone looked into thermage?

kellij
01-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Thank you guys for posting! I have an above incision pooch, too. I'd love to get myself back in order after a few years when I've done all that exercise can do. I also really want a breast reduction!!! My breasts have always been huge, like DD to DDD, but since nursing DS, I have never dropped below a G cup! The huge boobs hide the poochy tummy in clothes, but they're really uncomfortable. I never got a reduction, because I knew I wanted to nurse, and I was worried about having issues. When my nursing life is done, though, I'm saving up!!!

This is exactly me too! Except never below a J. My nursing life will be done within the next year or so, but I also need to lose weight first. I'm a little nervous about the reduction, lift and TT all at once after all of these posts about the TT pain; I think the reduction pain is pretty awful too.

lcarlson90
01-03-2013, 10:17 PM
For those of you considering a breast lift/reduction the recovery isn't that bad. I was feeling pretty good by 2 weeks post-op. I am 5 weeks out and it was the best thing I ever did.

vejemom
01-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Congrats, OP! I had one done about 2.5 years ago now. I'm extremely athletic, and the muscle separation I had was affecting my back terribly.

I won't lie, The recovery was difficult. My soon-to-be ex husband was no help at all - wouldn't even get out of bed for 5 minutes in the morning to lift our then 18 month old out of the crib. :(

I'll be honest in saying that the scar really bothers me to the point that I will try to see if it can be camouflaged by a cosmetic tattoo artist at some point. But I love having my tummy muscles back. I'm a blue belt in jiu jitsu, I do crossfit, no problems with the muscles

AJP
01-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Thank you for sharing your story! I am looking forward to much needed relief in my back. I'm glad to hear your muscles are back! I can't wait to do crunches again one day!
I will only have my DH here in the early mornings and after the kids are in bed the first week. His butt WILL be getting my son out of the crib or else! Hopefully you had some other help during your recovery!
What part(s) of your scar bother you the most? I will have one from hipbone to hipbone and my PS said he will go as low as possible across the front. At this point I don't care where the scars are, but I'm sure one day it might bother me if they show on my hips. Of course that's only a concern if I can ever get into a bikini again since most time at the beach is with extended family who won't know about my surgery.

Binkandabee
01-04-2013, 12:10 PM
I tried to post my pics last night, but it turns out my only "before" shots are the full frontals that I emailed to my Dr. I need to crop those first before posting :)
I will do that tonight.

AJP
01-05-2013, 01:35 PM
I tried to post my pics last night, but it turns out my only "before" shots are the full frontals that I emailed to my Dr. I need to crop those first before posting :)
I will do that tonight.

Any after pics?

vejemom
01-05-2013, 02:31 PM
You really should consider getting someone to hang out with you during the day when your DH isn't home. I have what most would consider above average pain tolerance, and there is no way I could have taken care of the kids by myself the first 2 weeks. It literally took a minute to sit up and swing my feet off the side of the bed. Also, what if you have a complication and need assistance? I don't want to freak you out, but because it is considered major surgery you want to be safe. I had my boobs done at the same time, and I barely noticed those after a couple days. The stomach was a totally different story.

I'll see if I can post a picture of the scar. It dog-earred a bit on the hips. The part that really bothers me is that a section about 2 inches long in the direct center is a little higher than the rest. Maybe I'm a total hoochie mama that wears too-racy stuff for a 37 year old (LOL), but I have some issues finding a bikini bottom that covers that bit of it. For example, only 2 or 3 out of all of the bikini bottoms Victoria's Secret sells work. The surgeon told me that my relatively small size made it difficult - there wasn't a lot of skin to pull at that area. ( I'm about 5'2'' and 110 lbs). There are cosmetic tattoo artists that do amazing work, but I'm not sure if they could do anything to blend the scar since it is darker than the surrounding skin because I'm a ghost pale Irish woman. :ROTFLMAO: I have a nice bikini bottom that shows just a tiny bit of it, especially when I have my Mystic Tan done. I wear a belly chain over it, and that hides the rest. I guess it's just the tension generated on that area as it heals? By contrast, you wouldn't know I had breast implants unless I told you - there's almost no scar at all.

I'm still glad I did it. I have functional tummy muscles back, and that is a beautiful thing :D

HTH!!

AJP
01-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Oh yes, I will have someone here when DH is at work. I have my mom and MIL alternating days and nights so someone will be here for the early wake-ups since DH gets up and going early. The first 2 nights my DC will be at my parents house overnight.
If my scar in the center is almost as low as my csection scar, I should be ok. It's the hipbone scars I'm worried will show in a bikini. And girl, you are IN a VS bikini!!! That takes the applause, scar or not ;)

vejemom
01-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Oh, good! That scared me there for a second when you didn't mention having other help for the day.

At least on me, the hipbone scars really don't show too much. They faded out better than the middle portion. If I have a spray tan done, it is harder to see the scar in general.

Maybe I do wear crazy stuff. The surgeon seemed surprised that bikini bottoms weren't covering it. :ROTFLMAO:

twowhat?
01-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Had to bump to ask how AJP is doing!!! Hope you're well on your way with recovery! :)

AJP
01-09-2013, 04:10 AM
I'm here laid up in my recliner. I feel 100times better this morning than I did yesterday. I can hardly tell I had a breast lift - for all the pain in my stomach muscles!!! I think the muscle repair is the worst of it and it IS excruciating, but surprisingly getting better. I've been taking my meds and walking around the house. Binders keep shifting and that sucks. Drains aren't too bad. As bad as the pain was Monday and Tuesday, I never once said why did I do this to myself?! I did say lots of other choice words...oh and the car ride home was HELL.
Thanks for thinking of me. I will be taking pics as healing progresses.

boogiemom
01-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Thanks so much for checking in! Keep your eye on the prize! You will be rocking the beach this summer and feeling amazing! I hope the pain continues to subside as quickly as possible. Rest up!

sunshine873
01-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Yes, thanks for checking in! Sorry about all the pain, but glad that you're not regretting it. Can't wait to hear more as your recovery progresses!

brittone2
01-09-2013, 04:20 PM
I hope you find your discomfort decreasing every day. :hug: I'm sure it will be so worth it!

happy2bamom
01-09-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm so glad to hear that you are starting to feel better. That first shower feels so good! Remember to drink lots of water and not do too much physical activity. The binders make any swelling intensified. Good luck with a speedy recovery!

essnce629
01-09-2013, 10:03 PM
I'm glad you are starting to feel a little better. I hope you have lots of help so you can just focus on resting and recovering. I missed your before pics, but I can't wait to see the after pics!

ourbabygirl
01-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Sorry I missed this when it first went around, but congrats on being done with the surgery! That's awesome that you did that for yourself; I hope the recovery goes really smoothly and that your family pampers you as much as possible! :)

Can I just say :bowdown: to you and the other moms of multiples? Hopefully your kids will thank you some day, too!

AJP
01-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Just a quick update for anyone following. I'm feeling really good 8 days p.o. I have some swelling and still have one drain. In seeing the surgeon on Thursday and hope to get the last drain removed. Drain removal didnt hurt at all the first time and the last one is really just a small nuisance now. I haven't been allowed to shower till the last one is removed. Ugh. I smell. Sponge bath my a&$.
My incisions don't bother me and are healing just fine. My stomach muscles are pulled and stitched so tight. I can't (nor do I dare to) stand straight. The worst pain is in my back from supporting myself hunched over. I look like a new person! The bad part now is I'm feeling so much better but still need help because I can't lift my son into his crib, carseat or highchair. I'm seriously thinking of putting his mattress on the floor till I'm 100%. That will get the grandmothers out of my hair. Don't think he'd actually sleep though. I may have DH try it over the w/e to see.
My breast lift and implant exchange is a piece of cake. Just a little sore really.
I've already tried on my favorite splendid maxi dress from summer and it already looks 1000% better than last year AND no spanx needed!!! Woohoo!
I've weaned off my pain meds to the point that I take one in the am to help me till I get up and get the kinks out and one at night so I can actually sleep.
I'm adding a before and 1 week post op pic...
DELETED

Don't mind the "bulge" in my pants...it's just my drain
DELETED

twowhat?
01-15-2013, 02:24 PM
WOW - that is AMAZING!!! So happy for you!!! And only 8 days post-op!! That's crazy insane!

maestramommy
01-15-2013, 02:27 PM
WOWIE! The difference is amazing! congratulations and go you! :bighand:

AJP
01-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Thank you! I still can't believe I did it and I'm so glad I made the choice for myself to be me again. Even just sitting down, my body feels like it did over 5 yrs ago. No big stomach in the way!
I just noticed how much swelling I have in that pic. There was much less a few days ago. The more I'm up and about, the more I swell. Wish the next few weeks would fly by so I can be an active part of this family again. AND to see what I fit into! I have so much sitting in my closet - I don't care how old it all is...I just can't wait to wear it. I may even buy a belt again, just because I can!!

ourbabygirl
01-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Such an amazing transformation! So excited for you and the fun stuff ahead! :yay: Thanks for sharing your story and pictures!

div_0305
01-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Such an amazing transformation! So excited for you and the fun stuff ahead! :yay: Thanks for sharing your story and pictures!

:yeahthat:

urquie
01-15-2013, 02:55 PM
The bad part now is I'm feeling so much better but still need help because I can't lift my son into his crib, carseat or highchair. I'm seriously thinking of putting his mattress on the floor till I'm 100%. That will get the grandmothers out of my hair. Don't think he'd actually sleep though. I may have DH try it over the w/e to see.
[/IMG]

I found a workable technique, after a few abominable surgeries. A tall stool outside the crib, and a short step stool in the crib. I had DD climb in and out, with me there to balance her. Of course, the stools were removed, when not in use. :-D

sunshine873
01-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Wow, you look fabulous! It gives me hope for a few years from now...

Congrats on taking charge of your happiness and comfort!

TwinFoxes
01-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Good for you! What a difference. I'm glad you're happy with the results, and I hope you continue to recover quickly.

kdeunc
01-15-2013, 04:25 PM
You look awesome! I am having "tummy envy". ;)

brittone2
01-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Looks great! I'm sure it will feel so good when the recovery is behind you!

citymama
01-15-2013, 05:00 PM
So glad it went well! Can't wait to see a pic of you rocking that splendid maxi once you're up for a fashion show! Hope the healing continues to go well.

KLD313
01-15-2013, 05:21 PM
You look great! I look just like your before pic but I didn't have twins. :( I really want to do this someday because it is impossible to wear normal clothes with a flap of skin hanging down.

AJP
01-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Thanks everyone. I wanted to post to be able to show people what some of us deal with physically after pg, let other women know they're not the only ones, and to give my experience to anyone contemplating the same type of surgery. There is nothing better that I've been blessed with other than my 3 DC, but my body issues after my twins had changed my life. Size or weight don't matter to me if I'm comfortable in my skin. And I wasn't. At all. So here I am now. I can get up and get dressed without crying about where to put my stomach and can actually not worry about it coming out of my waistband. Gross but true.
I know so many people IRL who are like "oh, you're fine" or "but you had twins" etc. All from people who looked "normal" to me without the problems i had.
The only thing important to me when I was pg was carrying my girls as long as I could. I tried so desperately to get pg with them and didnt care about the future damage to my body. When they turned 2, and I could see some light at the end of the tunnel (did so much on my own without help) I was tired of still looking pg. Losing a lot of weight looked even worse. I didn't want to look like I was still 6mos pg forever. I'm lucky that this was available to me. Not the choice for everyone, but it was for me.
Urquie: I love the step stool idea! I tried standing on a low one but it wasn't high enough. I have one that will be perfect I think! I'll let you know how it works out.

marie
01-15-2013, 05:49 PM
WOW! I, too, have stomach envy!

waitingforgrace
01-15-2013, 05:49 PM
You look amazing already! I have tummy envy and hope someday to get the courage to do it. No twins for me but 10lb babies have wreaked havoc on my body.

I'd love to see another follow up later on :)

elephantmeg
01-15-2013, 06:09 PM
amazing pics! hope your last drain goes MIA on thurs! congrats!

essnce629
01-15-2013, 06:18 PM
The difference already is amazing! Thanks for sharing your story and posting pics. I hope the rest of the recovery is smooth and fast and that you'll be out shopping for new clothes soon!

HannaAddict
01-15-2013, 06:39 PM
What a difference, you are going to be so happy! Good for you!

boogiemom
01-15-2013, 06:41 PM
Holy smokes! You look great and you sound so upbeat and positive! I think I may finally call a plastic surgeon next week to schedule an appointment to discuss possibilities. Yikes!

Multimama
01-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Congratulations and good luck! Another diastasis sufferer here. Last week a stranger making my sub sandwhich asked me when I was due and wouldn't let it go. I get it.

mom3boys
01-15-2013, 06:52 PM
OMG, what a difference, I totally want to get a TT myself!

GaPeach_in_Ca
01-15-2013, 07:30 PM
Wow! You look great! :D

georgiegirl
01-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Looks great! Hope the rest of your recovery is smooth. And have fun shopping for new clothes!

hillview
01-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Wow you look awesome!! Congrats!!

MamaMolly
01-15-2013, 08:04 PM
You look amazing! :applause: I'm looking forward to more photos! :popc1:

Multimama
01-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Didn't see the update pics before. Yay!

wendibird22
01-15-2013, 08:43 PM
AMAZING! Glad you are recovering so well.

kara97210
01-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Wow! This is really impressive, you look great already!

mjmamma
01-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Amazing, glad you did something for yourself! One day at a time!

Melbel
01-15-2013, 09:55 PM
What an amazing outcome. I am so happy that your surgery was successful, and that you feel so much better.

vejemom
01-15-2013, 10:14 PM
You look awesome! I think it took almost a year (!) for all the swelling to go away when I had mine. So expect to look even more awesome in time for summer.

I did Crossfit this morning and my abs work the way they're supposed to and my back doesn't hurt. Couldn't say that before the surgery. I wish the same for you!

maylips
01-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Thanks for sharing your story. So many of us want to know more details to see what's worth it/what's not and you are telling the truth in a way that we need to know. I'm so glad you feel better about yourself. You look FABULOUS, even with the swelling! Can't wait to see the VS bikini pics! (and I don't mean that in a gross, creepy way. :wink2:)

lcarlson90
01-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Wow!!! You look great. I think so many ladies are afraid people will think they are shallow because they had plastic surgery. I know I felt that way....I didn't even tell my sister when I had my breast lift because I was afraid she would think I was vein. I think we should should feel great about our bodies and if that means a tummy tuck then go for it. I am so happy for you!

lexie's mom
01-15-2013, 11:29 PM
You look amazing! I personally feel that because you did this for yourself you will feel better about yourself and then become the best mommy you will ever want to be...if your not already.

I am a teacher and had the Lapland done on July and already believe the above statement to be true. I sacrificed some summer time and had some guilt over it but it was the best thing I ever did for myself.

Good luck!

DrSally
01-15-2013, 11:33 PM
Wow, youlook amazing. These pics are so "real". I don't feel so alone now. The kids have given me th nickname "squishy" for my squishy tummy.

LexyLou
01-16-2013, 02:19 AM
Wow! Amazing! It looks great, and it will go down even more, right?

How has the recovery been?

BTW, is that drain in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?:ROTFLMAO:

AJP
01-16-2013, 07:59 AM
Wow! Amazing! It looks great, and it will go down even more, right?

How has the recovery been?

:rotflmao: I made sure to "hide it" so I wouldn't gross anyone out. I obviously didn't bother checking to see how it looked. Lol

Every day I feel a ton better. I can stand up a little straighter everyone morning, but by the end of the day I'm hunched over. I won't lie, it hurt like hell. Much worse than my csection. Or course for me, most of the pain was due to the muscle repair. The rest was just skin, so soreness there isn't so bad.
Thanks for the support. For those curious, ask any questions at all...I'm happy to share my story/recovery etc.

cuca_
01-16-2013, 08:16 AM
That is amazing! You look great!!

twowhat?
01-16-2013, 09:27 AM

LOLOLOL I had the exact same thought at first!! I just didn't say anything:)

Every day I feel a ton better. I can stand up a little straighter everyone morning, but by the end of the day I'm hunched over. I won't lie, it hurt like hell. Much worse than my csection. Or course for me, most of the pain was due to the muscle repair. The rest was just skin, so soreness there isn't so

This is so interesting to me because I assumed I was recovering from "just" a c-section, even after my OB came in to tell me he "did me a favor" and did a partial abdominoplasty before closing me up (in other words all he did was stitch the muscles together as close as he could, given that my uterus, etc were all still swollen). It makes me wonder how bad my stomach would have looked if he didn't do this. Anyway, at least a couple of nurses commented about my "low pain tolerance" and I started believing it myself...but now that you describe the kind of pain you had, not being able to stand up straight and being hunched over...that's what my c-section recovery was like! I was in a tremendous amount of pain, couldn't stand up straight without pain for weeks, and I couldn't care less about my incision...it was my muscles that hurt!!! And the nurses had no idea because they were used to dealing with a normal c-section patient! I wish my OB would've told me what to expect:) But maybe he didn't know either, since he's not a plastic surgeon! LOLOL! So then it makes me wonder...if I decided to go and "finish" this tummy tuck, would my recovery be easier given the diastasis is probably not as large as it could have been (it's about 3 fingers' width) and also given that what I was really dealing with was half a tummy tuck, having just had twins, and breastfeeding/caring for newborn twins all at once? Hmmmmm.

american_mama
01-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the photos! I think you look amazing!

carolinamama
01-16-2013, 12:58 PM
That looks wonderful. I think you will be so glad to have had it done. I have been following your story since I too have stretched skin, and a large diastasis. No twins, but my 11lb 3oz baby left me "marked". Thank you for sharing your journey.

mypa
01-16-2013, 01:09 PM
I'm so happy for you and that you are on the mend! You look terrific!

I didn't have twins but sadly my tummy looks much like your pre-op photo.

Thanks for sharing your journey. It's inspiring!

Multimama
01-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Twowhat? I'm not sure your pain was due to what your doctor did with your muscles. I'd suspect it was as much due to how they were strained during the pregnancy. I had the same experience you described (lots more pain than the nurses were prepared for and I know it's not my pain tolerance because I breezed through my VBAC without meds, inability to stand up straight for a long time after my c/s) and my doctors didn't do anything like that during the c-section. All of my muscles were so stretched out from the pregnancy (of my large singleton) that I think that's what lead to the pain. The incision didn't hurt, but the muscular pain was excruciating.

This thread is awesome because most of the time I feel like such a freak for having these issues! Thanks for starting the conversation, OP. Now someone needs to give me tips on how to dress with diastasis.

g-mama
01-16-2013, 04:57 PM
AMAZING!!!:cheerleader1: What a transformation! It only gets better from here. Thank you so much for sharing.

twowhat?
01-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Twowhat? I'm not sure your pain was due to what your doctor did with your muscles. I'd suspect it was as much due to how they were strained during the pregnancy. I had the same experience you described (lots more pain than the nurses were prepared for and I know it's not my pain tolerance because I breezed through my VBAC without meds, inability to stand up straight for a long time after my c/s) and my doctors didn't do anything like that during the c-section. All of my muscles were so stretched out from the pregnancy (of my large singleton) that I think that's what lead to the pain. The incision didn't hurt, but the muscular pain was excruciating.

This thread is awesome because most of the time I feel like such a freak for having these issues! Thanks for starting the conversation, OP. Now someone needs to give me tips on how to dress with diastasis.

Ahhh - very interesting! Thanks for sharing! That totally makes sense. Tips for dressing: I have been doing a lot of sheath dresses WITH BOX PLEATS for work. They work AWESOME for hiding a tummy (you should search for GP's threads about hiding a tummy!). I unfortunately can't wear skirts anymore (they just don't work with a tummy....unless I go for that high-waisted look witih the box pleats but then I'd rather just do a dress).

Like this one:

http://cdn-s3-0.wanelo.com/product/image/2009174/original.jpg

I have this exact dress with a different pattern on top and it's amazing how well it hides that tummy! In fact, I have like 3 dresses from Eva Franco because they put the pleats in just the right places (two are like the above, and one is a cocktail dress but it flares out from below the high waist in just the right way (and in a heavier ponte knit fabric - thin, clingy fabrics do NOT help and just make things worse!).

As for pants...well...I've been living in leggings and have a pair of JAG ponte leggings with a high waist. It doesn't hide the tummy at all, but it's comfy. The key for me when wearing pants/leggings is to have a more structured top or a top in a heavier knit. Thin, really stretchy, clingy, and drapey all make it worse.

Binkandabee
01-16-2013, 05:26 PM
You look GREAT! Really glad to see and read your update!

Are you required to wear any compression? I had an abdominal binder and could definitely tell the difference on the days I wasn't wearing it as far as swelling went. At 12 weeks now, I am no longer swollen at all...but I was slightly swollen even last week.

Seeing this thread again reminded me...I chickened out on posting my pics!

AJP
03-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Here I am! I Still wear my binder some days. I can definitely see and feel a difference in swelling on the days that I don't.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/ajp76/05D6B6D5-DF3D-4CC2-990B-0C556351A402-13690-000009897370F013.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/ajp76/A30091ED-48EE-4E9E-88C3-857C4141863D-13690-000009897EA7C6B6.jpg
Here are some befores...
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/ajp76/D52C606B-90E7-4649-8540-6CD0A937057D-13690-000009A3FF94A347.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/ajp76/7B790CB4-2786-4DF7-BA8C-6F990440BBC1-3612-0000020B7EDC7EEA.jpg

brittone2
03-06-2013, 02:39 PM
WOW!!! You look fantastic! :cheerleader1: :yay: Great update!

hillview
03-06-2013, 02:43 PM
WOW!!! You look fantastic! :cheerleader1: :yay: Great update!
:yeahthat: awesome!

twowhat?
03-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Wow. Just, WOW. So amazing, and I am so happy for you!

I have to admit though that the hip-to-hip scar totally makes me cringe:)

A question - did they have to re-do your belly button (which looks great)? And how? I'm looking at my belly button and have no idea how that would be fixed.

waitingforgrace
03-06-2013, 03:07 PM
You look great!

babyonway
03-06-2013, 03:09 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!! You look great.

tmahanes
03-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Looks awesome!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

KLD313
03-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Wow! The scar doesmt even look that bad for 2 mos out. I so need this surgery.

GaPeach_in_Ca
03-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Wow! That is really amazing. You look great!

TwinFoxes
03-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Terrific! You could be an advertisement for the surgery!

TwoBees
03-06-2013, 03:16 PM
You look fabulous! And cute undies ;)

TxCat
03-06-2013, 03:41 PM

:yeahthat:

You look awesome!

AJP
03-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Thank you!
Yes, the hip to hip scar is something I'll have to get used to in swimsuits. Otherwise it doesn't bother me. I always said any amount of scarring was worth it, and I don't care for the most part. That said, I hope and pray they lighten before summer because they do go higher on the hip than I pictured.
The skin from my belly button down to the pubic line was removed, so the old BB went and the new one was formed. Not as cute as my small little one (pre twins of course) but a thousand times better than what I had pre surgery. I don't know exactly how they do it but my PS said they stitch it from the inside (the skin) and there were some stitches on the exterior of my new BB.

I'll have to look back because I don't remember if I took down my before pics. This is worthless without a side to side comparison.

I just wanted to add that I feel great physically and mentally and emotionally! This has been a huge, huge, huge change in how comfortable I am and how "myself" i feel. Not to mention the daily struggle of getting dressed and not wanting to be undressed around my DH. My DH is impressed with my surgery results but more impressed with my attitude and the emotional and mental side of it. He said its like having the old me back with how "myself" I've become. Hard to explain.

AJP
03-06-2013, 04:05 PM
And yes, I can't believe I've once again posted a pic of myself in my finest VS undies. Lol

reneed
03-06-2013, 04:14 PM
You look AMAZING. Wow! I would love for you to post your before pictures again for comparison! Your after picture is really making me want to move forward!

Multimama
03-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Awesome. Thanks for sharing your experience. I don't know if I'd have the guts to do it, but hearing about your experience helps.

reneed
03-06-2013, 04:30 PM
I just noticed you live in my area. Can I ask who you went to?

g-mama
03-06-2013, 04:47 PM
:jammin: You look fabulous! I want that tummy!! Your scar is going to reduce dramatically. It's only been two months - that's nothing! I'd love to see a before and after comparison.

Yay for you!!:cheerleader1:

boogiemom
03-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Outstanding! You look amazing! Can you tell me how you are feeling? Are you able to exercise? Run? Jump? I have my consult this Friday. Nervous!

AJP
03-06-2013, 07:17 PM
I am able to run, jump, carry my DS and have been cleared for the gym. The worst part of my recovery was the muscle pain after my extensive muscle repair. It felt like I was shredding my muscles every time I moved. Walking hunched over did terrible things to my back for the first 3weeks. After I was able to stand more upright all that went away. I have some numbness (expected) in my skin from my belly button down to the incision area, but no pain at all. I do have some areas of my muscles that feel "sore" when I touch them, but no pain from just doing normal things.

AJP
03-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Outstanding! You look amazing! Can you tell me how you are feeling? Are you able to exercise? Run? Jump? I have my consult this Friday. Nervous!

Don't be nervous!! The consult is the time to ask everything and anything. Don't get scared of having drains either. They are nothing and don't hurt. Mine didnt hurt at all when I had them removed. The worst part of them was that I couldn't shower for about 2 weeks. Oh, and ask your PS about arnica and bromelin for swelling and bruising. Mine didnt tell me, but someone else did and they worked great for me.

boogiemom
03-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I know the doctor will answer questions but it's different hearing from someone who went through the process recently. I'll ask lots of questions. I know it's just the consultation but the huge decision-making opportunity is scary to me. So many things to consider. However, your pics make me want to sign up! You look great. Congrats and enjoy the new you!

Corie
03-06-2013, 08:20 PM
You look fabulous!! :)

MamaMolly
03-06-2013, 08:29 PM
WOWWWWWW! You look terrific! I'm so happy for you!!

lmh2402
03-06-2013, 08:33 PM
you look fantastic!! yay for looking great and feeling great!

♥ms.pacman♥
03-06-2013, 11:01 PM
WOW you look AWESOME!!! So happy for you!!!

Melbel
03-06-2013, 11:45 PM
What an amazing transformation in body and spirit. I am so happy for you!

katydid1971
03-07-2013, 01:50 AM
You look great!!!!

DrSally
03-07-2013, 08:34 AM

:yeahthat: absolutely amazing

Pennylane
03-07-2013, 08:37 AM
You look amazing! Wish I could have something like that done to my butt :)

Ann

joonbug
03-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Wow you look great! Happy for you :)

plusbellelavie
03-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Congratulations you look awesome! I want one now!!

Liziz
03-07-2013, 11:06 PM
You look terrific!!! I've been reading this thread since you first posted, and I'm so impressed with your attitude throughout too. So glad you're feeling so much more yourself again!

oneplustwo
03-08-2013, 12:02 AM
What a great update! You look fabulous, and even better is hearing your DH's comments about the "old you" is back in terms of your attitude, outlook and spirit. And like at least one other PP, my second thought was "cute panties!"

sewarsh
03-08-2013, 12:18 AM
Wow! I mean, WOW!!! Unbelievable!!
You look amazing...one hot mama!!
So happy for you!!

123LuckyMom
03-08-2013, 07:59 AM
You look great!!! I'm so glad you're so happy! Thanks for sharing!

weech
03-08-2013, 10:20 AM
This is phenomenal! Thanks for sharing your experience. You look great! :jammin:

boogiemom
04-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Had to come back and read over your words again. I am having mine on May 9th :-) :-) :-) and am officially obsessing! Can't sleep thinking about how the recovery will be and what the results will be. Thanks for sharing your journey! I hope you are feeling good and strong and are loving every bit of the new you!!!

indigo99
04-16-2013, 10:47 PM
I have a question about tummy tucks that maybe someone can answer. They do the incision down low, right? Then how do they get rid of pudge above the bellybutton? I do have the normal post-babies pouch down low, but I also have a pudge above my bellybutton that bothers me even more because it sits above my pants.

This may be a simple question, but I can't figure out how they'd get rid of the extra up high without pulling it down and making your bellybutton end up too low or something.

MMMommy
04-17-2013, 01:03 AM
You look fantastic! Great outcome!

OKKiddo
04-17-2013, 01:06 AM
Don't be nervous!! The consult is the time to ask everything and anything. Don't get scared of having drains either. They are nothing and don't hurt. Mine didnt hurt at all when I had them removed. The worst part of them was that I couldn't shower for about 2 weeks. Oh, and ask your PS about arnica and bromelin for swelling and bruising. Mine didnt tell me, but someone else did and they worked great for me.

Arnica is a main staple in our house because I am a klutz and so far at least one of my three children has inherited the klutz gene. :)

OKKiddo
04-17-2013, 01:08 AM
Just saw the pictures and your after pictures look awesome!!! Tummy tuck is now going much higher on my list of must do's than it currently is.

twowhat?
04-17-2013, 08:09 AM
I have a question about tummy tucks that maybe someone can answer. They do the incision down low, right? Then how do they get rid of pudge above the bellybutton? I do have the normal post-babies pouch down low, but I also have a pudge above my bellybutton that bothers me even more because it sits above my pants.

This may be a simple question, but I can't figure out how they'd get rid of the extra up high without pulling it down and making your bellybutton end up too low or something.

I think they actually pull your skin down to tighten it, remove the excess skin AND your old belly button (gack!) and create a new belly button higher up. AJP can correct me if I'm wrong of course. But I can see how you'd be confused because from AJPs pics, her new belly button looks as nice as a normal belly button would!

Had to come back and read over your words again. I am having mine on May 9th :-) :-) :-) and am officially obsessing! Can't sleep thinking about how the recovery will be and what the results will be. Thanks for sharing your journey! I hope you are feeling good and strong and are loving every bit of the new you!!!

Please report back!!! It's a pipe dream of mine to have it done one day. We could afford it, but I am still just plain afraid.

elektra
04-17-2013, 09:29 AM
I think they actually pull your skin down to tighten it, remove the excess skin AND your old belly button (gack!) and create a new belly button higher up. AJP can correct me if I'm wrong of course. But I can see how you'd be confused because from AJPs pics, her new belly button looks as nice as a normal belly button would!

This is my understanding as well. I know two women who have had this done- a co-worker who had triplets, and my petite cousin who had big babies.

Both were thrilled with the results. My triplets coworker could not wait to be able to put on a bikini in public! It was really amazing- her tummy was totally flat, and she explained about how the basically created a new belly button for her. I actually did not see any scarring on her at all- her suit bottoms totally covered up any scarring.

boogiemom
04-17-2013, 02:21 PM
Yep. New hole is created and belly button is reattached with a new hole at appropriate spot. I will have an incision low @ approx. my c-section scar and another above my belly button. Everything between the two is removed. Upper flap is stretched and connected to lower flap. Can. Not. Wait.

twowhat?
04-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Yep. New hole is created and belly button is reattached with a new hole at appropriate spot. I will have an incision low @ approx. my c-section scar and another above my belly button. Everything between the two is removed. Upper flap is stretched and connected to lower flap. Can. Not. Wait.

Oh, so they use the original belly button? I thought that they created one by stitches from the inside. Maybe it depends on what kind of shape your original belly button is in? I know mine could never be reused...I just can't see how - it looks like the stem of a latex balloon.

eta: I just re-read that and kind of had to giggle at the thought of relocating belly buttons.

indigo99
04-17-2013, 10:33 PM
I would definitely ask for a nicer bellybutton then. Mine is too big and deep. Now I'm hung up trying to figure out how our bellybuttons are actually attached to our insides.

AJP
04-18-2013, 08:56 AM
Yes, as PP said, a new belly button is created! I had all the skin from my old belly button down to the pubic bone area removed. The remaining skin is pulled down and stitched at the pubic bone incision. My BB looks normal and almost as good as it did pre-pg. the only stretch marks I still have are the few that were above my old BB area.
I did have my ab muscles stitched together as they were very separated. That is the only thing that was causing my stomach to stick out above the BB. I think (but don't quote me) that if there is fat in that area, they can remove with lipo. Not sure, just what I think I read.
Good luck to PP with upcoming surgery!!! Let us know how it goes! It will be life changing, I'm sure!