PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics 2x already in pregnancy...

oneontheway
01-02-2013, 04:32 PM
I've never been sick before when pregnant. At the end of October I had an chest infection that ended up as a sinus infection and took the Z pack. I've been congested for the last several weeks and now I have a sinus infection again. I'm going to the doc tonight but with my history I know the only way to get rid of it as this point is antibiotics.

It just worries me to know 1) I've been sick so much during the early months of pregnancy and 2) to be taking round 2 of antibiotics in my fourth month.

Anyone else struggled with illness and had to take several rounds of antibiotics?

oneontheway
01-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Just got back from the doc and sure enough I'm on another round of the Z pack.

I hoping and praying this will be the last time I need to take an antibiotic.

BDKmom
01-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Sorry that you haven't been feeling well. I think Z pack is a pretty low level antibiotic, so hopefully everything will be fine. When were your other children born? Maybe you haven't been at this point of pregnancy during the colder months? I know both my pregnancies were very different, and I had a lot more congestion with my DD, who was born in May, than my DS, born in Feb.

It really stinks to be sick while pregnant and really not able to take decongestants, etc. Hope you feel better soon!

oneontheway
01-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Thank you. Ironically my first and my fourth have almost the same exact due date in June. However with my first I got plenty of sleep and much less exposure so I'm sure that is a big difference.

I try not to even take tylenol so taking antibiotics seems drastic. I keep telling myself its probably better for the baby than my immune system being so low.

BDKmom
01-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Yeah, the rest and the exposure are surely factors. Try not to worry too much, most docs I know are super conservative when it comes to prescribing meds for a pregnant lady.

georgiegirl
01-02-2013, 10:52 PM
I took two rounds of antibiotics in the first 14 weeks of my pregnancy with DS. I had two sinus infections separated only by a month. He was a July baby, so I had the antibiotics in early Dec and Jan. I too was worried, but I was never sick again after that, and DS was born on his due date, completely healthy.

oneontheway
01-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Thank you. Makes me feel better I'm not the only one taking antibiotics. After taking the first round I feel a bit better already. My head is still very congested but it is manageable and isn't throbbing.

Melaine
01-03-2013, 09:20 AM
I took one early in DS's pregnancy, then of course he got one at birth as a C baby, since then he has had two others. He has a lot of tummy issues which I do attribute to the antiobiotics. I would try to get a good probiotic.

AngB
01-03-2013, 11:13 AM
When I was 13 weeks pregnant with DS2, my dogs got in a fight and DS was standing next to them, but on the other side of me and the dogs so I couldn't get to him, so I dumbly on instinct tried to pull them apart and got a little accidental bite (an inch and not that deep) on my hand. I washed it, put neosporin on it, etc., by the next morning my hand was red and really swollen, my doctor took one look at it and sent me to the ER, where they decided to do x-rays b/c it was so swollen. Anyway, I ended up being admitted and spent a week in the hospital on iv antibiotics with cellultis. An idiotic infectious disease doctor decided on the 2nd day to test out my penicillin allergy since I hadn't had a reaction since I was a child (also haven't had penicillin since then!), I had an allergic reaction and broke out in hives within a few minutes of it being started in my iv. Then I was on 2 oral antibiotics for 2 weeks after I was discharged. So a bad infection, strong antibiotics for 3 wks, an allergic reaction, and an xray...(plus my pregnancies are high risk even without the extra drama), DS2 is 9 wks old and just fine.

My mom's appendix ruptured in her first or early 2nd trimester with my brother. He's 26 and healthy.

Anyway, I was worried too but these babies are usually pretty tough! A sick mama is at least as risky if not more risky than antibiotics.

MSWR0319
01-03-2013, 11:13 AM
I had a really bad UTI at about 12 weeks with DS2. I had to take antibiotics for that and I think I also had a sinus infection. DS is totally fine. Don't worry! You need to make sure you're healthy so the baby stays healthy. If a zpack works for your sinus infections, you're good. I have to hit mine hard with something stronger because the low dose stuff won't touch them.

infocrazy
01-03-2013, 11:37 AM
When I was 20 weeks with DS2, I got a serious kidney infection and was hospitalized for a week on iv antibiotics. After I was released, I had to take an antibiotic for the rest of my pregnancy. As someone who doesn't even like to take tylenol when pregnant, I totally get your worry, but I think you're good.

oneontheway
01-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Thank you all so much. You've made me feel so much better. I know I made the right decision... even after starting to take the meds I can still feel enough pressure I can barely bend down.