PDA

View Full Version : Date night tonight--Anna Karenina or Les Miserables?

goldenpig
01-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Has anyone seen either or both of these movies? DH suggested Les Miz, but I've never read the book or seen the musical so I don't know if I'll like it or not. I'm not really a "Broadway/musicals" fan although I don't necessarily hate them either. I have read AK (a long time ago). Which one is better? Or any other movie suggestions? I thought "This is 40" would be funny but DH said it got horrible reviews. I'm not big on lots of violence movies either--he also suggested Argo but I'm not sure if it's violent? He also suggested The Hobbit but I'm not that excited about it.

smilequeen
01-02-2013, 09:22 PM
I want to see both. We are going to Les Mis soon and I am re-reading Anna Karenina before I go to the movie :) If I can get it finished while the movie is still out that is...

wellyes
01-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Les Mis makes the whole theater cry, multiple times, and there was even one "oh no" out loud. It is sung-through, meaning, no dialogue. Just song. I saw it a week after release, so, I don't think the audience was die-hards. I haven't seen the musical or read the book in 20 years but I loved it. But, it is melodrama, no doubt.

Anna K is a more standard beautiful people in historical situation drama. I have heard good things.

I want to see "This Is 40" after hearing about a character sneaking off & hiding in the bathroom so he can play Words With Friends in peace. That is just so right now & true.

HTH.

anamika
01-02-2013, 10:18 PM
How about Lincoln?

eta - here is a great funny pin about Les Miz - may contain spoilers ;)

http://pinterest.com/pin/251779435389446122/

PunkyBoo
01-02-2013, 10:20 PM
I heard Silver Linings Playbooks is a great date night film (but I haven't seen a movie in ages...)

SnuggleBuggles
01-02-2013, 11:05 PM
My friend said age wanted to love This is 40 but only liked it. She still recommended seeing it, though renting is the better choice.

I'd see Les Mis but I have 0 interest in historical dramas!

StantonHyde
01-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Argo was quite good. I thought AK was odd since it was set in a theatre/on stage. The Hobbit was wayyyy too long and really gory. I really want to see Le Miz. Silver Linings Play book has gotten decent reviews.

smilequeen
01-02-2013, 11:25 PM
I heard Silver Linings Playbooks is a great date night film (but I haven't seen a movie in ages...)

We loved this. It was a slow starter and we were starting to wonder why it got such great reviews, but it picked up and it was really good.

Lincoln was awesome too.

AnnieW625
01-03-2013, 02:46 AM
I would not see either of those movies. I am probably a strange person but I was bored to tears with the Le Mis stage show. I saw it twice, once in high school and once again in my 20s. It was the touring Broadway company both times. I loved some of the music, but snooze fest. I am not sure I would go for a date night for Le Mis.

I would see something like 40 or something that you can talk about afterwards. Pre kids me and DH used to go to a lot of movies. Now we just wait for Netflix. If you are okay with violence I have heard Django Unchained is good. I would see Argo as well.

goldenpig
01-03-2013, 03:11 AM
Just got back from seeing Les Mis. Both DH and I liked it and thought it was well done. I'm not a musicals person and was worried the constant singing would be grating but it was actually OK, I got used to it. (Though I have to wonder why they all had British accents when it was supposed to be in France!) I was also worried I wouldn't be able to keep up with the plot since I had never read the book or seen the musical (DH saw the musical in high school), but I had no trouble following along (I skimmed the Wikipedia summary beforehand just in case). The movie did drag a bit in parts but overall I would recommend it!

DH saw Lincoln previously and said it was well done. I asked him about Anna Karenina but he wasn't interested (I guess the whole cuckolded husband/infidelity plot doesn't appeal to him, haha). I saw that Django got good reviews but sounded like it would be too violent for me...I don't like a lot of violence. I wasn't that interested in Hobbit...I mean, I already watched all three Lord of the Rings with him! I do still want to see This is 40 but sounds like I can wait till it comes out on Netflix.

wellyes
01-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Glad you liked it!

I think they have British accents as an old theatre tradition, to give the audience a very easy shorthand on who is rich vs poor. Child Cosette vs adult Cosette, Cosette vs Eponine, Marius vs the other cute boys. Fantine's accent hints at a different background than those around her, and the innkeeper uses different accents based on who he's talking to. Plus I doubt all those actors could do convincing French accents!