PDA

View Full Version : Sore Throat - How long does it last?!

alootikki
01-03-2013, 11:12 AM
I had laryngitis in early December, and lost my voice for a good 5-6 days. It slowly came back, but at this point it's been almost 4 weeks and my throat is still not 100%. It hurts in the morning when I wake up and I get a little hoarse by the evening - but otherwise am totally functional. Is this worth going to the dr (again) for? Could this be a bacterial infection that antibiotics would help?

MMMommy
01-03-2013, 06:33 PM
I would get tested for strep. I had a persistent sore throat with no other symptoms last year. Finally went to see the doctor for this nagging sore throat. Sure enough, it was strep.

kbud
01-03-2013, 10:37 PM
I once had a sore throat after a cold that lasted for months, took antibiotics, tested for strep, etc and it didn't go away. I was referred to a ENT. Turns it the sore throat was due to acid reflux. I wasn't having an reflux that I noticed. I had it when pregnant so I now what it is like. After a few weeks on prilosec the sore throat went away.

Not saying you have acid reflux but wanted to give you the info to keep in mind.