PDA

View Full Version : baby hair help

lmh2402
01-03-2013, 12:07 PM
ok, two questions

1. did anyone give their baby a haircut before age 1? how about months before age 1?

i'm thinking that DD will need some sort of cut in the next few months. she was born with a lot of hair and it's now grown totally wild. i try to clip it, but really...it could use a trim. however my husband is very sad at the idea that we will cut before one. we waited until a month before DS' 1st birthday. looking back on pictures, he looked like a lunatic by then and we probably shouldn't have waited so long. and his hair wasn't nearly as long as hers a birth

2. any ideas for product that will help DD's crispy hair at the back of her head? she sleeps in a rock & play and turns and rubs her head all the time during naps & sleep

as a result the hair at the back of her head is constantly matted and it's really, really dried out. i comb it out each time i get her up, but the texture is just like crispy frizz.

thx

BDKmom
01-03-2013, 12:14 PM
We cut DD's hair just before Thanksgiving. She was born with a lot, and the front and sides were pretty scraggly, hanging in her eyes, sticking out over her ears. So we just had them do a quick trim--clean it up a bit and even things out. I'm glad we did...looks much better now. And they didn't really cut much off, most people would probably not even realize she had it cut.

Based on your Christmas card pic, our DDs look very similar--round face with all that dark hair. I'm sure she will be precious whatever you decide.

No recs on products--we actually have the same issue with DD, although she doesn't have much hair left on the back and sides. Now it sort of looks like she has a bad toupe.

BabbyO
01-03-2013, 12:16 PM
We cut Peanut's hair a month or two before he turned one. It was SO long in the front he couldn't see...and you could see it was driving him nuts. I wanted to wait until he got his baby curls like Stachio did...but he never got them. His first cut was really just trimming his bangs while at big bro's haircut. (The stylist offered to do it quickly).
He had his second hair cut at the end of Nov, or beg of Dec...I don't recall which.

As for products, I'm not really sure. I use Aveeno baby wash and shampoo for both kids and their hair has always been pretty soft. Even Stachio, who's already gotten his big kid hair (that is much like my family, thick and coarse), has soft hair.

alootikki
01-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Both of my kids got haircuts before 1 - they both were born with tons of hair! With DD, I did start making little ponytails and clips early on, but would always take them out at naptime (was afraid of choking hazards).

We use California Baby Hair De-tangler every day on DD's hair now.

PZMommy
01-03-2013, 01:04 PM
My DS2, had his first haircut around 7 months, and had lots of trims before that. He was born with a full head of hair. Ironically, my first DS was bald until well after his first birthday. lol

edurnemk
01-03-2013, 01:08 PM
I gave DS his first haircut at about 3 months. He was born with a LOT of hair, it later fell off (baby hair) and new hair grew. But by one I'd trimmed it several times myself. I did it while he slept. It wasn't a phenomenal job but it kept him looking decent.

DD was born with less hair, but still quite a bit, I've trimmed it a bit (just the longer hairs and the flyaways). As with DS her baby hair is falling out and that means she has bald spots in some parts and longer hair in other parts and it looked like she had a mohawk before I trimmed it :ROTFLMAO:

lmh2402
01-03-2013, 01:35 PM
ok, i feel better. looking at her just now before i put her down and i've decided she has to get a trim

the hair on the left side of her head is down past her shoulder

on the right it's just to her shoulder

in the front it hangs down past her eyes and then the back...is just wild/frizzy crisp

she needs a clean up

i'll look into the detangler - thanks for the suggestion!

crl
01-03-2013, 01:43 PM
We definitely cut dd's hair before age one. She was born with dark brown hair that never fell out, but all the new growth was blonde. It is hard to describe, but the brown ends made her hair look greasy even when it was clean. I cut the brown all out.

I used a drop of leave in conditioner in the rinse water for dd's shampoos when she was little. It made her hair less frizzy looking.

Catherine

queenmama
01-03-2013, 02:05 PM
I cut DS' hair by three months! It needed to be trimmed because he had so much and it was over his ears at birth, so by then it was driving me nuts.

DD was born with just as much hair, but thicker and not as long, if that makes sense. Both of my kids lost their hair (never to the point of baldness, you know how it goes) and started growing new, lighter hair around 6mo.

DD is 8mo and I haven't touched hers. She has quite a few long wisps, and I absolutely would cut them, but she plays with them as she nurses and falls asleep... Right hand pulls the hair at the back and top, left hand in the bangs. It is so dang precious, I can't bear to cut it.

Lara