PDA

View Full Version : Need quick walking path ideas for a slope

american_mama
01-04-2013, 03:44 AM
I'm looking for ideas of how to quickly create a walking path at the side of the house, which is a somewhat moderate slope running about 20 feet. The goal is to enable a tenant to easily walk along the side of the house and enter our back door on a daily basis for a few months. Right now, it's muddy and uneven, so not so safe or clean. I am thinking some people may have encountered a similar solution when listing a house for sale.

Currently, the side of the house is hard-packed dirt, hardly any grass, with a lot of tree roots under the ground and 2-3 large roots protruding slightlyl. I do not think we can easily dig out a path to lay stepping stones or even set in something smaller like a brick border. A thinner border that can be pounded in may work.

Can we just dump gravel or mulch along the path and stick stepping stones in it? I am sure that won't last, but will it provide 6 months of secure walking even with the rain that we'll get in that time period? Winters are mild here, so any snow will be light or very infrequent.