PDA

View Full Version : ISO Gravy/Red Sauce

Jen841
01-04-2013, 10:04 AM
We need a change. Same tried and true recipe for @ 40 years for me. Kids don't want chunks. I am working from home today so I can simmer/stir all afternoon if needed.

Family friend has a recipe that is so simple, but she never shared! I know it has tomato sauce and basil in it, and she cooks in some meat and eggs.

Thanks!

KLD313
01-04-2013, 01:33 PM
I just made sauce earlier in the week and it came out really good. I started it with pork bones seasoned with salt and pepper in some olive oil and browned it. Then I threw in a diced onion and four or five chopped up garlic cloves. I used a 28oz can of San Marzano (this is key) tomatoes and I crushed them in my hands. I also used a can of tomato sauce. Then I browned some Italian sausage cut in fourths and threw that in. I also used some dried oregano. I also made meatballs but I dont think that part has to be done. Then I just let it simmer until the pork fell off the bones and it tasted good. Really, it's the pork bones that make the sauce. Beef bones would probably work if you don't eat pork. It wasn't lumpy at all, it came out thin. I added some water toward then end. If it's too bitter add a pinch of sugar at a time but i didn't.

MMMommy
01-05-2013, 02:51 AM
I just made sauce earlier in the week and it came out really good. I started it with pork bones seasoned with salt and pepper in some olive oil and browned it. Then I threw in a diced onion and four or five chopped up garlic cloves. I used a 28oz can of San Marzano (this is key) tomatoes and I crushed them in my hands. I also used a can of tomato sauce. Then I browned some Italian sausage cut in fourths and threw that in. I also used some dried oregano. I also made meatballs but I dont think that part has to be done. Then I just let it simmer until the pork fell off the bones and it tasted good. Really, it's the pork bones that make the sauce. Beef bones would probably work if you don't eat pork. It wasn't lumpy at all, it came out thin. I added some water toward then end. If it's too bitter add a pinch of sugar at a time but i didn't.

This sounds yummy!