PDA

View Full Version : Is it too late to get flu shot?

mackmama
01-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Is it too late to get a flu shot this year? None of us got the flu vaccine, including DC, and this year's flu seems to be running rampant so I am not re-thinking our decision. Is it too late to get one in terms of efficacy and availability?

wendibird22
01-04-2013, 12:52 PM
The health department in my area is saying it isn't too late and is urging people to get it. It does take 2wks I think to provide protection so there's a window of time between the shot and immunity to still catch the flu. IMO better late than never, but we also always get the flu vax.

Tinkerbell313
01-04-2013, 12:52 PM
It is not too late. And from what I see, there is no shortage of flu shots...around here in NOVA all the pharmacies, urgent care centers, MD offices and minute clinics still have them available.

Also, around here, prime flu season is actually in the months of February and March...so it definitely started earlier this year.

marymoo86
01-04-2013, 01:55 PM
From another posting it seems the mist is more effective than the shot and is preservative free - although made from eggs so not sure if there is an allergy.

FWIW - the health dept here doesn't even list the flu shot as one of the recommended ways to avoid the flu.

mackmama
01-04-2013, 01:59 PM
FWIW - the health dept here doesn't even list the flu shot as one of the recommended ways to avoid the flu.

What do they recommend? The flu vaccine just freaks me out for some reason.

DC just turned 2yo - so I'm not sure if DC is old enough to receive the mist?

Philly Mom
01-04-2013, 02:08 PM
From my calls around here, the mist is not offered anymore because it expired in December. At this point, I think the only option is the shot, at least in my region.

daisysmom
01-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Shots are still available here (not sure about the mist). While the flu season doesn't ususally start here until late Feb-March, there was a segment on the news last night talking about the dramatic numbers per state in December (where as in Dec. 2011, some states only had 37 flu cases, this year they have 4,000) or something like that (I can't remember the numbers they gave, but there was a huge increase). My state is one of those "epidemic" states.

I am hugely pro-vax for reasons I won't go into now, and I am 43 years old, and I never knew until last night that the flu shot is only 60% effective even against the strains that it was made from (last years). I pretty much thought that if you got the shot, you were protected against those old flus (but not against new mutated ones).

So I would take 60% protection over 0% protection anyday, since it seems like there are a lot more people with the flu walking around sneezing.

Tinkerbell313
01-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Here is a quick CNN video posted this morning about the flu:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_bn12#/video/health/2013/01/04/exp-cohen-and-flu-update.cnn

marymoo86
01-04-2013, 02:45 PM
What do they recommend? The flu vaccine just freaks me out for some reason.

DC just turned 2yo - so I'm not sure if DC is old enough to receive the mist?

Handwashing was the primary item, vitamin D, avoiding large crowds, coughing into your elbow and not hand is what I recall of the top of my head.

Flu mist starts at 2 I believe not sure of the particulars - we don't vax for flu.

ladysoapmaker
01-04-2013, 03:18 PM
It's not too late to get it but you might run into what happened with DH and I. The doctor's office is completely out so the kids still haven't gotten theirs. I got mine at work back in November. I don't remember if DH got his.

Jen

glbb35
01-04-2013, 03:30 PM
I would actually get it. I can name at least 8 adults (friends, colleagues, teachers) who had the flu over Christmas break or have it now. I have been asking the ones I have run into whether or not they received the flu vaccination or not. Most never got it. I got a taste of the flu on Christmas morning. I suffered for 5 days but did not have the full effect. I was so thankful I got the vaccination a month ago. MY friend was hospitalized she was so sick from the flu over the break. She did not get the vaccination. She said the number one thing the docs asked her was whether or not she got the vaccination. They urged here to get the kids vaccinated. I swear everyone around here is sick with something. Not worth taking a chance if you ask me. I do understand that just b/c you get the vaccine it doesn't mean you won't get the flu. You won't get that strain of flu but I do know that I would have probably been a lot worse off had I not received the vaccination.

I hope you don't catch anything but chances are you will. DH said his office was again encouraged to get the vaccination if they had not already. IT is paid for and his immediate boss was angry that two vitally important people ended up super sick and declined the vaccination when they came to the office back in the fall. His boss ended up having to work the holiday for them.

B

ellies mom
01-04-2013, 03:45 PM
The flu tends to hit different areas at different times. Here in the PNW, it tends to be in Jan-Feb. So definitely not too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bandgsmama
01-05-2013, 05:09 AM
i've been debating this too..over christmas we had a virus of body aches, coughing, congestion & it was awful. waiting the 2 weeks for it to take affect when we know people that have had it around here worries me & rate at which it is effective makes me question getting it. we have to get the shots, as my children have asthma. the last time i had a flu shot was prior to having kids when i worked & ended up sick as a dog for a week. so i keep putting it off...