PDA

View Full Version : Land's End $15 Kids Backpacks and $11 Messenger Bags

crispychicky
01-04-2013, 03:11 PM
http://www.landsend.com/ix/luggage/Luggage/backpacks-lunch-boxes/Assortments=Sale/index.html?seq=1~2~4~3&catNumbers=2431~2444&visible=1~2~1~1&merchAsId=473&pageSize=72

Most meduim kids' backpacks are $14.99 and messenger bags are $10.99.
Lunch boxes are on sale too

Blakes Mommy
01-04-2013, 03:34 PM
I know, I have been waiting for either a free ship code or a % off. They had the same price before Christmas with an extra 30%,but, got busy and didn't order! Now of course DS1's backpack that had a zipper issue is officially done! I am just hoping for free ship...I was planning on getting a matching lunch box too. Does any one have a preference between the 2 styles? Also for a tall 7 year old is the medium enough? Or should I go for the large (for snow pants/boots/shoes days)? The medium I think looks fine, just wondering if anyone uses this size since the large one looks enormous!

kristac
01-04-2013, 04:46 PM
yeah I'm spoiled and need a free ship code to take the plunge. DS1's gap backpack zipper is having issues as well.

nabigus
01-04-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm such a crank today, so take this with a grain of salt, but... I actually don't like either the backpack or the lunch bag. I just returned both to LE (bought when they first came out with the new model over the summer) for a refund. Maybe I just got a dud, but the side mesh pockets both had big holes within weeks and are now entirely ripped out, and the elastic at the sternum strap frayed and is now completely un-elasticized. The stitching also started coming undone on the straps. We got the "school uniform" classmates medium, so maybe it was just something wrong with that line of the classmates? Stylistically, I found the backpack didn't have enough inner organization, eg, there was nowhere for ds to put his metrocard.

The lunch box is well made, but just doesn't fit the little reusable containers we use for ds's lunches (lock&lock and the Sistema Klip-it). It's really shallow.

We just got the Garnet Hill as a replacement, and love all the organization built into it.

Blakes Mommy
01-04-2013, 06:09 PM
I'm such a crank today, so take this with a grain of salt, but... I actually don't like either the backpack or the lunch bag. I just returned both to LE (bought when they first came out with the new model over the summer) for a refund. Maybe I just got a dud, but the side mesh pockets both had big holes within weeks and are now entirely ripped out, and the elastic at the sternum strap frayed and is now completely un-elasticized. The stitching also started coming undone on the straps. We got the "school uniform" classmates medium, so maybe it was just something wrong with that line of the classmates? Stylistically, I found the backpack didn't have enough inner organization, eg, there was nowhere for ds to put his metrocard.

The lunch box is well made, but just doesn't fit the little reusable containers we use for ds's lunches (lock&lock and the Sistema Klip-it). It's really shallow.

We just got the Garnet Hill as a replacement, and love all the organization built into it.

Yeah, after being at Target I am having one of those days too! I will check Garnet hill now!! Which lunch box did you have? I remember Garnet usually has lots of girl patterns and I really liked a couple of the Lands End patterns...but I want it to wear okay!

Blakes Mommy
01-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Yeah, after being at Target I am having one of those days too! I will check Garnet hill now!! Which lunch box did you have? I remember Garnet usually has lots of girl patterns and I really liked a couple of the Lands End patterns...but I want it to wear okay!

Darn...Just checked Garnet Hill (great price) and they have no lunchboxes! They do still have the backpack - Blue Plaid, which is really cute. His current lunchbox is okay, it would just be nice to start with both matching. Have to think about this one....quickly or they will be gone too!

pastrygirl
01-04-2013, 07:52 PM
My local Sears had tons of the LE backpacks on clearance in store. No lunchboxes, though.
ETA: this was yesterday.

mypa
01-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Darn...Just checked Garnet Hill (great price) and they have no lunchboxes! They do still have the backpack - Blue Plaid, which is really cute. His current lunchbox is okay, it would just be nice to start with both matching. Have to think about this one....quickly or they will be gone too!

You may want to call GH and see if they have the matching lunch pack. I know I mailed one back about a week ago (sent to me by mistake, we already have one). Even if it says OOS on their website they may still have some as customers do returns. I've gotten lucky this way couple of times.

Blakes Mommy
01-04-2013, 08:47 PM
You may want to call GH and see if they have the matching lunch pack. I know I mailed one back about a week ago (sent to me by mistake, we already have one). Even if it says OOS on their website they may still have some as customers do returns. I've gotten lucky this way couple of times.

Great tip although I showed this one to my son and he wasn't wild about it or the one I liked at Lands End either ( red comic book) He has had cheapo backpacks forever since he loves the cars ones. I think he is getting old for them and should move on! They never last. Funny thing is DS2 has had the same cheapo Toy story packs and his last one lasted 2 years! We only replaced it since it was older and the mesh pockets had some tears, but both DS2's old pack and lunchbox still haveworking zippers. Funny thing is Ds2 is usually more rough on things! I still can't figure out why we have had issues on DS1'S things. To be fair we have lost 2 to zippers and the other 2 got "ugly" one that still has a good zipper and is okay had a rubberish design on front that got cracked and chipped. Then we had one last year that the front was thin and the whole design cracked!

Maybe I just get a plainer good quality pack and put cars patches on it or something! They don't have to be from the Cars movie he loves all cars...Hot wheels, Tomica, etc...

Any suggestions of styles, brands would be greatly appreciated!!!! we definately want the pockets on the sides for drinks and would like a front pocket, and then a main compartment other than that we aren't picky!

ahisma
01-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Maybe I just get a plainer good quality pack and put cars patches on it or something! They don't have to be from the Cars movie he loves all cars...Hot wheels, Tomica, etc...

Any suggestions of styles, brands would be greatly appreciated!!!! we definately want the pockets on the sides for drinks and would like a front pocket, and then a main compartment other than that we aren't picky!

That's what I did for DS1 this year, it worked out great! I got him a backpack from REI and sewed NASA patches onto it.

I got him this one: http://www.rei.com/product/808317/rei-tarn-18-pack-youth

The sternum clip with whistle was the dealmaker for him.

nabigus
01-04-2013, 10:22 PM
That's what I did for DS1 this year, it worked out great! I got him a backpack from REI and sewed NASA patches onto it.

I got him this one: http://www.rei.com/product/808317/rei-tarn-18-pack-youth

The sternum clip with whistle was the dealmaker for him.

This is an *awesome* backpack. Ds used it for two school years, and we still have it for ds for day hiking, but it's not quite wide enough for his current school folders. The waist belt and sternum strap combo is unbeatable.