PDA

View Full Version : s/o Garnet Hill backpacks

PMJ
01-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Currently they are out of the Junior Backpacks -- does anyone know if they get them back in stock? I'm guessing some time in the summer, but they are SO darn cute. I held out and did not purchase b/c I wanted a fs code.

indigo99
01-04-2013, 07:59 PM
They are cute, but I'd personally go with a different pack unless you get a reall good deal. DS has been using a mini Boden pack, but I got one of the GH ones when they were super cheap recently. I do like that you can attach the lunchbag to the outside of the GH pack, and it's a tad smaller so it fits DS a little better (the straps are closer together). The Boden seems like a little better quality though, and it's a little bigger inside. I can barely fit a regular-sized folder or paper inside the GH pack, but I don't think I could once anything else is inside.

chozen
01-04-2013, 08:05 PM
we bought a garnet hill back pack last yr. for dd. she has used it for pre-school for 2 yrs. now and it is holding up great!

ahisma
01-04-2013, 09:21 PM
They are cute, but I'd personally go with a different pack unless you get a reall good deal. DS has been using a mini Boden pack, but I got one of the GH ones when they were super cheap recently. I do like that you can attach the lunchbag to the outside of the GH pack, and it's a tad smaller so it fits DS a little better (the straps are closer together). The Boden seems like a little better quality though, and it's a little bigger inside. I can barely fit a regular-sized folder or paper inside the GH pack, but I don't think I could once anything else is inside.

Interesting. We have been using a Boden one and I have been very underwhelmed by the quality. It's coming apart at the seams and the bottom is fraying. It's used 3 days a week for preschool - not heavy usage IMO. I bought a GH one at the recent sale to try it. I was hoping it would be an improvement, maybe not though? :(

wellyes
01-04-2013, 09:28 PM
I'd get the regular size, not junior. I've heard the junior doesn't really fit a folder. DD just got the regular and wore it for the first time today to preschool. It's the same size as her classmates' bags, works great, and actually fits more trimly than her old backpack (LL Bean critter)

indigo99
01-06-2013, 11:05 PM
Interesting. We have been using a Boden one and I have been very underwhelmed by the quality. It's coming apart at the seams and the bottom is fraying. It's used 3 days a week for preschool - not heavy usage IMO. I bought a GH one at the recent sale to try it. I was hoping it would be an improvement, maybe not though? :(

*shrug* I sort of think it's all a bit hit-or-miss with most things being made overseas nowadays. At least GH has good customer service if there's a problem. We've been using the Boden for preschool since August with no issues. I was going to switch to the GH so I could attach the lunchbag, but now I don't know if I will since I don't think it will hold as much (have to send a complete change of clothes and have room to bring all his "artwork" home). I was mainly just saying that if you're going to pay full price when they're back in stock then there may be better options.

viba424
01-07-2013, 12:24 AM
I chatted with GH the other day and they are getting new styles, thats why the other ones are on clearance.

bostonsmama
01-07-2013, 02:51 PM
I got the regular GH backpack for DD (as all the reviews said the little ones wouldn't hold a folder--and we already have a Skip Hop owl back pack that's child-sized). I think the organization of it is amazing (so many pockets, pouches, headphones outlet, clips, netted pouches, etc), but I'm NOT impressed with the material. Perhaps it keeps it lightweight, but it seems so thin and brittle. We just took it on a cross-country trip through 3 airports, and it held up fine as a carry-on, but I'd be a bit disappointed if I paid $55 for it. Time will tell. I think once DD grows out of a girlie phase, I'll get her an LLBean backpack in a solid color.

Melaine
01-07-2013, 03:06 PM
The junior ones do hold a folder w/o issue. We send them to class with a folder, 2 workbooks, and often a coat or sweatshirt....works great for us.