PDA

View Full Version : Teachers: What to wear for Interviews?

PMJ
01-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Fellow educators - what do you all wear for interviews? I've been out of the work force for some time now, and am quite certain I'll have to go buy something that fits right. What do you recommend is the most professional?

thanks in advance!

swrc00
01-04-2013, 06:49 PM
I have been interviewing a lot of teachers recently for an opening in my grade level. All of the teachers have worn suits. Quite a few have been pant suits.

elizabethkott
01-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Pant suit. I wore one on all my teaching interviews, as well as on my demo lessons.

AngB
01-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Pant suit or skirt suit.

Green_Tea
01-04-2013, 08:32 PM
I just interviewed for a teaching job (5th grade) last month. I wore a grey tropical weight wool skirt from Banana Republic, a close cut merino wool sweater with a cowl neck (also BR), very sheer nude stockings and low black heels.

I got the job, so I guess I looked OK. :yay:

Good luck!

MamaMolly
01-04-2013, 09:23 PM
I wore a skirt suit with a longer skirt but it was 15 years ago ;). If I were interviewing today I'd wear something conservative, probably a skirt and sweater set or dress and jacket. NO shorter skirts/ bare shoulders/ etc. Make sure your shoes are clean and polished. I'd do a low heel pump, no sling back or peep toe. No bare legs. And make sure your handbag is clean inside and out and coordinates with your outfit.

With jewelry I'd go with classic pieces. Wedding ring if you normally wear one, stud earrings (not dangly) or small conservative hoops.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got about interviewing for a teaching job was to have your hair neat and tidy. Even if you normally are a quick messy bun kind of girl, on the day of the interview tame the mane. The thought was that if you can't control your own hair how can they expect you to control a classroom of children.

I'm quite the free spirit and had to remove my three earrings from one ear for job interviews. Once I had the job I dressed appropriately for teaching but much more fun.

acmom
01-04-2013, 09:47 PM
I have always worn a suit- either pant or skirt (usually navy) with simple, classic jewelry and low heels.

Pyrodjm
01-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Dark Skirt with button down shirt. Maybe with a cardigan. Low heals

niccig
01-05-2013, 12:03 AM
I just interviewed for a teaching job (5th grade) last month. I wore a grey tropical weight wool skirt from Banana Republic, a close cut merino wool sweater with a cowl neck (also BR), very sheer nude stockings and low black heels.

Good luck!

:cheerleader1:Congrats. Woo Hoo I know you've worked hard to get to this point :cheerleader1:

crl
01-05-2013, 12:57 AM

Good luck!

Congratulations!
Catherine

PMJ
01-05-2013, 11:19 AM
General rule of thumb...can you mix/match unlike styles? I have a grey skirt and black skirt -- can I buy blazers for those (same colors) and match them up?

The skirts fit fine, so hate to get rid of them if I don't need too.

thanks everyone!

Need to go shopping ;)

Green_Tea
01-05-2013, 11:33 AM
:cheerleader1:Congrats. Woo Hoo I know you've worked hard to get to this point :cheerleader1:

Congratulations!
Catherine

Thank you. I am still a little flabbergasted!

OP, break a leg on the interview circuit!

Simon
01-05-2013, 05:09 PM

Good luck!
Congrats!

Dh either wore a full suit or a suit coat and tie depending on the school/district. Some were quite a bit more informal than others (urban vs. rural)

Simon
01-05-2013, 05:10 PM
General rule of thumb...can you mix/match unlike styles? I have a grey skirt and black skirt -- can I buy blazers for those (same colors) and match them up?

The skirts fit fine, so hate to get rid of them if I don't need too.

thanks everyone!

Need to go shopping ;)

I would not try to match them with a different blazer. I would pair with a nice top or top/sweater combe. I find blacks very difficult to match. But, I do not claim to be a super fashionista.

viba424
01-05-2013, 06:25 PM
I would also say no black. Too formal and dark.

Carrots
01-05-2013, 07:23 PM
I have always worn pant suits.