PDA

View Full Version : Why does our childcare center need our SSN?

vonfirmath
01-04-2013, 10:20 PM
We are putting DD in a childcare center instead of a home daycare for the first time on Monday.

Filling out the paperwork (an information form for the center), I came across a line where they ask for the Parents' SSNs. Any idea what this is for? For now, I plan to leave it blank and only give them that information if they can explain why they need it.

ETA: Suggestions for how centers are different than home daycares/things I need to watch out for would be appreciated as well. This feels like entirely new territory to me! Our daughter will be 17 months next week.

JBaxter
01-04-2013, 10:40 PM
I never give anyone my kids SS number. Not the school, doctor or child care.

redhookmom
01-04-2013, 10:45 PM
In case you skip out without paying?

PZMommy
01-04-2013, 11:11 PM
Not sure why they ask for a SS#.

However, we moved our DS1 from a home daycare to a center, and it was the best thing ever. No more last minute trying to arrange for child care if the provider was sick. I also felt safer as there were always more than one adult in the room at a time. There were more checks and balances so to speak. I also liked that they were grouped according to ages. It just felt safer that way to me. My DS2 now goes to the same daycare, and the center has been amazing. He has several health issues and they give him medication where the home center wouldn't. He has several therapists coming in from Early Intervention to work with him, and they are very receptive to our requests, way more than the home daycare was.

Momit
01-05-2013, 07:57 AM
I kind of think we got something at the end of the year showing what we had paid, for tax purposes. Maybe they want to include your SS number for that? Definitely ask and don't provide it if you aren't comfortable with the explanation.

Liziz
01-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Ours asked on their forms. When I asked why, I was told it's because they typically use the last 5 digits of the SSN to set the passcode we get to access the center (doors are locked, parents need to enter a code to get in). I said I didn't like giving it out, and was just told to write in any 5 #'s we'd want for a code. (I think it's stupid they didn't just ask for either the last 5 digits -- or, even better, just ask parents to pick a 5 digit code they like....but whatever.)

AshleyAnn
01-05-2013, 02:22 PM
I get a tax form showing how much $ I paid for the year. I dont recall if my daycare requested my SSN or not. I'm curious now - guess I'll hunt up the tax documents.

I really like having DD in a center, I like having multiple teachers at all times and DD being in a group of her age. They also do a lot more preschool like things than home daycares do and DD really learns there, I get a monthly calander with a lesson plans and they keep a daily schedule of music time, stories, circle time, ect. I dont feel like that happens at home daycares to the same degree. The center has a enforced cleaning policy, every room is scrubbed, mopped, and prepped for the next day each evening. My DD is rarely sick and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. My daycare also has cameras in the classroom so the director can see exactly what is happening throughout the day. There are things I dislike about my center - teachers are reorganized between classrooms constantly so while staff turnover is low DD may not have the same teachers week after week. I dont really know DDs teachers besides thier names. The kids are in classrooms and promoted at the teachers discression so DD may lose her BFF at any given time and I know that makes her sad. They also are more set on "its policy" and dont care if you disagree with thier policy

Kestrel
01-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Our center asks for SS# because so many there get some kind of government assistance. (Either daycare or meals.) I asked, and since we self-pay, they didn't need it.

kijip
01-05-2013, 04:26 PM
Collections. Home centers have people skip out on paying more than you'd might think.

LizLemon
01-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Our center asks for SS# because so many there get some kind of government assistance. (Either daycare or meals.) I asked, and since we self-pay, they didn't need it.

If you are using either a flex spending account or taking a tax deduction/credit, would you need to provide your SSN in that case? I really hate how much your SSN is asked for as well. I remember when I was in college (not that many years ago, but clearly long enough) SSN was you identifier for tests and such. So in some of the larger classes, they would post SSNs and exam scores in the hallway. Makes me cringe just thinking about it!

kijip
01-05-2013, 04:30 PM
I kind of think we got something at the end of the year showing what we had paid, for tax purposes. Maybe they want to include your SS number for that? Definitely ask and don't provide it if you aren't comfortable with the explanation.

It's not that because all you need to do for the child care tax deduction is address, amount and THEIR TIN/EIN (which in the case of an individual provider could be their SSN.)

carolinamama
01-05-2013, 04:42 PM
I never give anyone my kids SS number. Not the school, doctor or child care.

:yeahthat:

SS# is not needed for using a dependent care account. You only need the centers' taxpayer id number. I have always just left that spot blank and no one has batted an eye at me.

wellyes
01-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Collections. Home centers have people skip out on paying more than you'd might think.
:yeahthat:

I would refuse.

HannaAddict
01-06-2013, 04:13 AM

That. Whenever someone "needs" it and you are getting a service (doctor, dentist, etc.) it is for collections ultimately even if they use another number. I never, ever give it out and have several go arounds about it.

MontrealMum
01-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Here we have to provide it (the adults', not the childs') to prove that we qualify for the service, and for tax purposes. I believe it may also have something to do with residency and citizenship as well. But I'm in Canada and I'm sure things are often done differently here so I don't know if any of that translates to your situation or not.

LizLemon
01-06-2013, 09:19 PM
That. Whenever someone "needs" it and you are getting a service (doctor, dentist, etc.) it is for collections ultimately even if they use another number. I never, ever give it out and have several go arounds about it.

Such as?