PDA

View Full Version : Favorite way to treat a cold?? help please

liz
01-05-2013, 09:18 AM
My usual meds are not working and I am desperate! I can't breath through my nose, have sinus congestion and I have a sore throat. DH is working today, so I have to take all the kids to lessons etc on my own. I went to the pharmacy to buy Sudafed (phenylnephrine) the OTC version. I already tried the Behind-the-Counter Sudafed and have had no luck. Someone at work swears by Zicam (zinc?). Then there was Mucinex etc..... I was totally overwhelmed by all the choices.

eta, posting here for more traffic

MamaMolly
01-05-2013, 09:28 AM
For congestion the easiest FAST thing to do is saline spray. Get one of those pump things so you don't risk sucking ickies back into the bottle. That will help make it really easy for you to clear the gross stuff out. Get a box of super soft tissues and blow it out.

Mucinex is a good decongestant for me. It makes things more runny so you can get it out by blowing. I find real Sudafed to be drying so it doesn't help with congestion, and the over the counter stuff does nothing for me.

I'd take ibuprofen for the pain (advil, etc) instead of Tylenol. Drinking hot tea with lemon and honey helps me a lot, too.

I'm so sorry you are feeling puny. Hope it gets better soon!

MSWR0319
01-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Saline and my netipot (I use the squeeze bottle, not the actual pot) always work for me. Take a hot shower or hang your head over a vaporizer and when your nose is open use the neti pot.

anonomom
01-05-2013, 11:43 AM
I always use a 1-2 punch of Afrin and Zyrtec. I know a lot of people are afraid of Afrin because you can get addicted, but my dad was an ENT and he taught me how to use it. First, blow your nose as hard as you can. Then, in that moment when your nostril is pretty clear, use the Afrin. Start with only one squeeze per nostril, use a second only if that doesn't work. Don't use for more than 3 days. He also used to tell me I only needed to breathe out of one nostril at a time, but I confess I use it on both sides. It's been my go-to relief for congestion since I was a teenager, and I have never had rebounding issues.

If you go this route, get the pump spray rather than the squeeze bottle. It's easier to use.

Melbel
01-05-2013, 11:49 AM
We have had good luck with grapefruit seed extract nasal spray (not the full strength drops that would burn). It is a natural antibiotic and anti fungal. I hope you feel better soon.

dcmom2b3
01-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Drink ginger root tea -- chop/slice up a ginger root toss into boiling water let it cook until the water turns yellowish. If you're brave you can also chew on the boiled root.

KLD313
01-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Breathe steam, a wet wash cloth microwaved as hot as you can stand it over your face or eat something spicy (a tip from my respiratory therapist friend). Afrin is another good option. My acupuncturist used to have me use green tea and water in a dropper and suck it up my nose and spit it out of my mouth (sorry tmi).

fauve01
01-05-2013, 02:32 PM
i think Zicam is great, but only if you start using it when you start using it right at the beginning of feeling icky. sometimes i am so busy i don't notice i'm sick til it's full blown, and by then it's too late to use the zicam (IMO).

i drink HOT water (just plain clear water) when my throat is sore. it feels so good, and you're hydrating.

hot washcloth on the face over the sinuses/cheekbones is great when you're stuffed up.

hot shower helps unblock sinuses.

get rest! go to bed early, nap/rest in the day when you can.

at bedtime, i put aquaphor around the base of my nose when it's sensitive from blowing it too much.

that's all i can think of! my allergy doc says when you get a cold any of the meds you get are really like spitting in the ocean. in other words, nothing really works to make it shorter, you just have to wait it out. (((HUGS)))

belovedgandp
01-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Nasal rinsing saves me.

Mucinex is good - I have only found it at Walgreen's but there's one with the g-whatever it is from Mucinex and the the phen-whatever it is for the snot that is a good combo medicine. So many of them have a cough suppressant also and unless I'm having trouble sleeping because of the cough I don't mess with those.

Momit
01-05-2013, 02:58 PM
There's also a Zicam spray. It's the only thing that clears my congestion and allows me to function - otherwise my sinuses feel like they're full of cement. Most people think of the zinc lozenges when they hear Zicam - the spray is nothing like that but it's the same brand. I believe it's labeled "Extreme Congestion Relief" or something.

mackmama
01-05-2013, 05:51 PM
This is what I do when I have a cold:

1) Advil - take with food - helps with pain and also lessens inflammation of sinuses
2) Zicam dissolving tablets - will shorten your cold but not provide immediate relief (I swear by them)
3) Saline nose spray or neti pot - pushes the stuff out
4) Sudafed decongestant (I saw it's not working for you, but this is what I take. Others I know swear by MucinexD, so you might want to give that a shot.)
5) Lots of hot showers to inhale the steam and loosen stuff up
6) Drink lots of hot water to ease throat pain and loosen up nasal passages
7) Gargle with salt water to get rid of throat bacteria

I tend not to blow my nose when I have a cold because stuff goes into my ears and leads to an ear infection.

Hope you feel better soon!

Cam&Clay
01-05-2013, 06:09 PM
I always use a 1-2 punch of Afrin and Zyrtec. I know a lot of people are afraid of Afrin because you can get addicted, but my dad was an ENT and he taught me how to use it. First, blow your nose as hard as you can. Then, in that moment when your nostril is pretty clear, use the Afrin. Start with only one squeeze per nostril, use a second only if that doesn't work. Don't use for more than 3 days. He also used to tell me I only needed to breathe out of one nostril at a time, but I confess I use it on both sides. It's been my go-to relief for congestion since I was a teenager, and I have never had rebounding issues.

If you go this route, get the pump spray rather than the squeeze bottle. It's easier to use.

When I have severe congestion, I use Afrin as well. It's the only thing that can break through it so that I can breathe. I make sure I don't use it for more than a few days, but I have no guilt over using it! My XH used to freak out when I would use it. You'd think it was crack the way he acted!

mackmama
01-05-2013, 06:11 PM

Do you know if you can use Afrin if you're also taking Sudafed? Or is that too much decongestant?

ecofem
01-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Do you know if you can use Afrin if you're also taking Sudafed? Or is that too much decongestant?

They are different decongestants, Afrin is topical... I use both at the same time without problems.

Tondi G
01-06-2013, 12:58 AM
I don't have too much to add that hasn't already been said

If my nose is completely blocked then Afrin pump mist is the way to go ... especially when you need to be productive or need to sleep.

I usually do well with Sudafed (the behind the pharmacy counter stuff... the stuff on the shelf does NOTHING for me). Advil/Motrin to help with inflammation and headache. Saline or neti pot to help flush and moisturize. I have also used Alkalol to rinse my sinuses (you can ask at the pharmacy if they carry it or can order it for you).

The most recent thing I have used that seems to work really well for me is Xlear nasal spray (pump mist). It is saline and Xylitol (preserved with grapefruit seed extract ... so I was thinking that is also a good antifungal thing too). It is not so much for the congestion, more to help flush things out and moisturize your nasal passages. It really helps me a lot. I haven't had a cold turn into a sinus infection since I started using this spray. http://www.xlear.com/nasal-spray.aspx

Tondi G
01-06-2013, 01:00 AM
forgot to add that we all take elderberry syrup if anyone comes down with a cold.

Good ol chicken noodle soup and hot tea with honey and lemon are also our usual treatment too.