PDA

View Full Version : What do you freeze soups in?

mctlaw
01-05-2013, 10:21 AM
I like to freeze food flat in freezer bags where possible due to freezer space. The one time I tried this with soup though, the bag came open and it as a mess. Wondering if this was just bad luck or if I should try it again. Planning butternut squash soup tonight....

Pennylane
01-05-2013, 10:37 AM
I always freeze my soups and sauces in heavy duty freezer bags and have never had an issue.

Ann

mctlaw
01-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Oh yeah? I'll give it another shot then, just my bad luck I guess!

pastrygirl
01-05-2013, 10:49 AM
I use heavy duty freezer bags, too, without a problem. I also just started using canning jars, the ones with straight sides that don't dip in at the neck. Those are suitable for freezing.

ETA: after zipping, make sure you can't squeeze anything out. Also make sure the soup is already cool before freezing; temperature might have something to do with the leaking.

mctlaw
01-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks pastry girl. We do have those types of jars but I will save that for someday when we have a bigger freezer or deep freeze. Using those now would result in broken glass and cursing!

ShayleighCarsensMom
01-05-2013, 11:18 AM
I recently started freezing in ball jars. It works wonderfully and makes for a quick grab For work lunch (just remove the lid and pop in the microwave). They don't freezer burn either, I had a chili last week that I made almost a year ago and it tasted fresh!

Valerie
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

athompson
01-05-2013, 12:15 PM
I freeze in large glass Pyrex containers with a lid. Works well and can easily thaw in refrigerator, on counter or in microwave.

elbenn
01-05-2013, 12:44 PM
I freeze in large glass Pyrex containers with a lid. Works well and can easily thaw in refrigerator, on counter or in microwave.

I do similar--although I use a glass container with borasilicate so it can go from freezer to microwave. The freezer bags sound like a good idea though to save on space.

tmahanes
01-05-2013, 02:27 PM
We use the food saver bags to freeze flat

Sent from my DROID RAZR

okinawama
01-05-2013, 03:57 PM
I am in a freezer meal exchange group with friends, and we always freeze everything in freezer bags. I've never had an issue (however, since I just declared that to the internet, I expect all of my bags will leak next time).

hellokitty
01-05-2013, 05:48 PM
I like using either old chinese take out soup containers (tall cylinders) or the ziplock screw top version of the same thing. I've had bags leak before, so don't feel comfortable using them.

Percycat
01-07-2013, 05:47 PM
I also freeze in freezer bags. I place the bags flat on a cookie sheet to make sure the liquid freezes flat in my kitchen freezer and then stack the frozen bags on top of each other in my deep freezer.