PDA

View Full Version : Updated in OP: Chipped Front teeth :(

dhano923
01-05-2013, 11:15 PM
DD and I were having a mommy-daughter day today. We went to the mall, had lunch, and went to Toys R Us. The park is right by TRU, so I told DD we would go to the park for 10 minutes. She was super excited. Fast forward - DD is getting off the climbing apparatus, and bumped her mouth on the metal monkey bar thing. She comes to me, saying she hit her mouth and can taste blood. I look at her lip, and there is a small amount of blood on the inside of her upper lip. Then I realize her front teeth are both chipped. Her permanent, newly grown in, teeth.:( She chipped both the inner corners. No blood coming from her gums that I could tell, and she said it didn't hurt. but her teeth are messed up. :( I feel so bad because going to the park was my idea. Plus she had fallen when she was young and damaged her left front tooth and had to have it pulled a couple years ago when it became abcessed, so she was so happy when her front teeth came in a few months ago.

DH and DS are on a boys day out, and won't be home until late. I didn't tell him yet because I didn't want him to worry, but what do we do about the teeth? I hate that her permanent teeth are ruined. Can the dentist "rebuild" the missing parts? She needs braces too, and is supposed to get them in 3-4 months. What are the options? I'm going to call the dentist on Monday but I'm sitting here wondering how much they can do.

I'm so upset. :crying:

Update: DD went to her ped dentist yesterday. No nerve damage, luckily. They bonded both teeth and "rebuilt" the missing portions. If the teeth start to gray or has root issues, then they will figure out the next step, but based on what they saw on the X-ray they don't think there was any root damage.

PZMommy
01-05-2013, 11:30 PM
I'm sorry! When my sister was a toddler she cracked her front tooth. Once she finally got her permanent tooth in, she fell and broke the same front tooth. They made a crown for it. You could never tell that she had broken it. I believe later she had some sort of veneirs (sp??) put on them, but that wasn't until she was an adult. They should be able to do something cosmetically to help your DDs teeth. It's amazing what they can do these days.

chozen
01-05-2013, 11:39 PM
:hug: :hug:

khm
01-05-2013, 11:40 PM
My daughter chipped a tooth when she was 7, I think. The dentist said they'd fill it in. She didn't want to do it right then because the other teeth were still filling in around that one.

mommytoC
01-05-2013, 11:42 PM
I'm so sorry this happened to your DD...:hug: (My DD#1 is the same age, and patiently waiting for her front teeth to come in.)

Yes, they can definitely repair. DH chipped one of his front teeth in high school (a long, long time ago!), and had a crown placed. His crown discolored over time (20+ years)
to a light grey shade, and was replaced in the past 5-10 years. He's had no other problems with it (and still looks great :)).

khm
01-05-2013, 11:47 PM
mommytoC reminded me that my husband has a chipped tooth too. His was filled in in college, I'd totally forgotten about it. It isn't a crown, just filled in.

mmommy
01-05-2013, 11:47 PM
I chipped one if my front teeth while riding my bike with no hands in the third grade. My childhood dentist put a cap on it, and to this day (I'm pushing 40) every dentist I've gone to has just given it a really good scrape and only a few of them have even been able to tell its a cap. In other words, just make sure you take her o a good dentist and she'll be fine. And don't blame yourself. Sometimes these things just happen.

LMPC
01-05-2013, 11:59 PM
I agree....don't blame yourself! It was a total accident! Secondly, I also agree that it can be filled in. A friend of mine (adult) chipped his front tooth skiing and had it filled in. I never would have known if he hadn't told me, and even then I had to get very very very close to even see anything. hugs!

kdeunc
01-06-2013, 12:45 AM
So sorry for your DD. DS1 fell at school and broke his permanent front tooth in half this week! The dentist was able to reattach the tooth and we hope that it holds with no abscess. You cannot tell where they reattached it. If this doesn't work they will put in a crown. I am sure that they can fix your daughter's where you won't even be able to tell. Don't feel bad mama! :hug:

lmh2402
01-06-2013, 03:13 AM
Just sending you some hugs. :hug: Sounds like it's totally fixable. I'm sorry it happened, but it wasn't your fault by any stretch.

wencit
01-06-2013, 04:55 AM
I agree with all the PPs who say that the tooth can be capped. My BFF had a chipped front tooth when I met her in college, and she had a cap put on it a few years ago. I totally can't tell it's there!

Also, I recently chipped my own tooth about a month ago, and when I saw my dentist last week, he used some sort of tool to smooth it out. (It was a very slight chip.). So, depending on the severity, your DD may not even need a cap at all.

:hug: Don't blame yourself - these things happen.

daisyd
01-06-2013, 08:23 AM
hugs, the dentist should be able to fix it

mommylamb
01-06-2013, 09:07 AM
I chipped my front teeth on a roller coaster when I was five. What was I doing on a grown up roller coaster at that age you ask? Ask my father. Anyway, my dentist would bond it and I would chip the bonding every few years and have it redone as a kid. When I was 20 and abroad in Australia I was drunk and smashed a beer bottle into my face and chipped it off again. The dentist on national health care put a cap on it and I haven't had a problem since.

wellyes
01-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Kids should DEFINITELY come with multiple sets of front teeth. I know so many moms whose nightmare is front tooth damage, and so many kids who have it (says a mom whose daughter's tooth is currently GRAY due to a fall.)

They can fix it. I chipped one of my teeth in HS, and it got filled in. I almost forgot until I read this thread, haven't thought about it in many many years.

liz
01-06-2013, 11:06 AM
My DS3 also had to have his front tooth pulled recently due to a fall and subsequent abcess, so I totally understand why you feel so upset (esp since it's now her permanant teeth). Dentists can do some amazing things nowadays and I am sure they will be able to fix it. Try not to beat yourself up about her fall. I still ask myself if there was anyway to prevent DS3 from falling, but of course there wasn't. Sorry your lovely day together ended like that :hug:

pastrygirl
01-06-2013, 12:10 PM
I also chipped both front teeth, both corners as a child. My father suggested (and paid for!) a cosmetic repair when I was 16, and I still have the same veneers. I might need to have them replaced soon, but so far, so good. It's been 22 years!

mackmama
01-06-2013, 01:45 PM
It can totally be repaired so visually there won't be evidence of the chipped teeth. I have two chipped teeth that are filled in and look perfect. Your pedi dentist might not want to do it right away if other teeth are coming in next to them - but eventually they can be filled and will look perfect. Do not fret - and do NOT blame yourself for going to the park. These things can happen anywhere at anytime.

ETA My teeth aren't capped - just filled in. It very quick and easy!

dhano923
01-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks everyone. DD us saying her teeth hurt a little today. I'm putting in a call to her ped dentist first thing tomorrow. She broke off about 1/4" of each tooth. They look like |_/\_|, only not chipped all the way up to the gum. I'm guessing her teeth were/are somewhat brittle, as she said she didn't even hit the bar hard, nor was she crying when it happened.

I still feel so bad, but I know there was nothing I can or could have done.