PDA

View Full Version : outdoor birthday party in February? help

diamond
01-06-2013, 03:52 AM
My dd is about to turn 4 soon at end of Feb and she is dreaming of her bday party at a local park near us, with kids riding their bikes, rock climbing, slides,etc...and princess came. We live in Md and it will still be very cold outside. How can we make her dream happen? Would it be crazy to wait to have get pattyin April when it gets a little warm outside? Also i was considering inviting my dds friends from school for party. She had a hugs class of 30. Would you invite everyone? Or how do you pick? And choose? She head been at this school from Aug and I'm not really sure who her best buddies are. TyTy

turtle12
01-06-2013, 08:17 AM
Feb is so hard if the entire party is outside. It could work if you have a small group, meet at the park, play for an hour and head back to your home for cake. Otherwise I don't think it's comfortable to eat outside in Feb weather. March would be better, if she could wait until then?

misshollygolightly
01-06-2013, 08:40 AM
Is there a park nearby where you can rent an enclosed/heated picnic structure? That way kids could play outside, eat inside, and have some indoor games/activities in case of bad weather.

SkyrMommy
01-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Is there a park nearby where you can rent an enclosed/heated picnic structure? That way kids could play outside, eat inside, and have some indoor games/activities in case of bad weather.

:yeahthat: There are a few parks around here that have warming huts and inside community spaces that could possibly be rented. Some activities inside and a few options outside seems like the best option, we've visited friends in Maryland in February and been playing in freak snowstorms before, so it's probably better to be prepared for cold weather.

SnuggleBuggles
01-06-2013, 11:07 AM
At my ds2's preschool, they go out almost every day in the winter...it has to be like under 15 to stay inside. So, the kids are hearty and have no trouble playing in the cold. I would be willing to try the idea. But, I would probably steer her towards a few weeks later first.

Seitvonzu
01-06-2013, 11:46 AM
we are in maryland and while we'd do a random day at the park in the winter (last year and this there were several 60 december days for example)-- i think planning a party for feb is really risky. especially if it was entirely outside. i was recently told by preschool that they go out any time it's 40 degrees or above. so that's a pretty high threshold (and that's only 10-15 minutes of outside time)

we have an annual easter party and i'm always super bummed when easter is early b/c i worry about our egg hunt (so this year-- late march...but sometimes the weather is still on the chilly side)

maryland is so variable... it could be 60 and beautiful! or blizzardy...you just never know :( i think if she wants that party, you have to talk about postponing. :(

TwinFoxes
01-06-2013, 12:01 PM
At my ds2's preschool, they go out almost every day in the winter...it has to be like under 15 to stay inside. So, the kids are hearty and have no trouble playing in the cold. I would be willing to try the idea. But, I would probably steer her towards a few weeks later first.

I would find the prospect of standing around outside in February watching DDs play for a couple of hours pretty darned unappealling. I also think 20 minutes of recess is a lot different than a 2 hour birthday party. DDs go to a co-op preschool, and I can tell you on the days I'm the parent volunteer, the kids and the adults are ready to go in when recess is up. And the coldest it's been has been low-30s. I think we mid-Atlantic folks aren't as hardy as other regions!

OP, I'd send my regrets, sorry. But if there was a nice warm clubhouse/shelter, I'd go.

SnuggleBuggles
01-06-2013, 12:27 PM
No way would I want to be out for 2 hours either, standing around a kid's party. But, I'd be ok with an hour. The preschoolers are out for 40 minutes and I've joined them on some cold days.