PDA

View Full Version : Bike for big 4yo

Sweetum
01-06-2013, 07:16 PM
DS is 4yo and is big for his age. almost the size of a 5.5yo. He rides a trike (yay!) and we are looking to get him a big bike with training wheels. We do have a strider but he neve caught on :( so, now we need to go the training wheel route. I am looking to buy either a very good (possibly expensive) bike that would last a relatively long time in which case I will look on Craig's List or buy a regular/cheaper bike (still decent quality) but purchase it new. I would love recommendations in both categories so I can explore both options. Also, what size would you recommend? I was initially thinking 20" but do they make bikes with training wheels in that size? not sure. anyways, thanks in advance for your help.

Blakes Mommy
01-06-2013, 08:10 PM
We got an 18" when my DS1 was 5 1/2 almost 6 and it fit him great and it came with training wheels. I think all the 20" bikes are without training wheels, but, I have seen the wheels sold seperately (Toys R Us) and you could put them on. I think you should go with an 18" since the 20 may be too big for him to manage since he isn't experienced. My DS1 only used the wheels for about 6 months. I was in the same boat( tall kiddos) and decided to get a relatively "cheap" bike to start since it came with the wheels and I thought it would get beat up with falling when the wheels came off and he was trying to learn. The bike did get scraped up a bit so I am happy with my decision. Now that he is a better rider and 7 Years old I will go for a better bike. He also has a younger brother who I bought a 14" for at the time,but, now it's getting small (He is 5). You should make sure your son can put his feet on the ground....that's what a sales guy told me. If you can get a great deal on a 16" even you could uses that for a while and then hand it down or resell it on Craigslist. 16" bikes are much easier to find. There is also a chart somewhere online that list heights and appropriate size bikes to match. Good luck!

nfowife
01-06-2013, 08:18 PM
I have an average size almost 6 year old. 20" was too tall. 18" would be ok, we went with 16" and it's good too.

baileygirl
01-06-2013, 08:23 PM
My newly 6 year-old (48 inches) still rides (fits fine) his 16 inch bike. We plan on getting him a new one next Christmas when he turns 7 (so his bike can be passed down to ds2).

mommytoC
01-06-2013, 08:24 PM
DD#1 rode her 16" Specialized bike (with training wheels for the first year) from 2.5 years to 5.25 years; she was a little over 47" or the size of an average 6.5-7 year old when she got her 20" bike (also a Specialized) - it was a Christmas gift, and for the next few months, either bike seemed to "fit" fine.

I think a 16" bike would be fine, and would recommend against a 20". Two years later, DD#1 is still riding her 20" bike (though I would guess that by summer, she'll be ready
for a 24").

chozen
01-06-2013, 08:29 PM
dd who just turned five and is 49" tall really needs a 20" i know the 16" she was riding last summer is wayyy to small, she has very long legs. so we are wondering the same thing because at this time she still needs training wheels and i have not seen any 20" with training wheels.

nfowife
01-06-2013, 08:31 PM
You can buy training wheels that attach to any bike at Walmart, target, bike shop, etc.

mommytoC
01-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Oops! (duplicate post)

chozen
01-06-2013, 08:47 PM
i don't think training wheels will fit a 20" bike, but i could be wrong.

Tondi G
01-07-2013, 01:49 AM
training wheels will fit a 20 inch bike, they just don't usually come with a 20 inch bike so you need to purchase them separately. I would suggest taking him to a bike shop and having him try different bikes (each brand is different and it depends on if your DS is long legged or long torso). You will probably end up going with a 16 inch bike and moving to a 20 inch bike when your DS is ready. Buy a bike that fits ... if it is too big, he won't be able to put his feet down on the ground and when he wants to start trying to ride without training wheels he will have trouble. We went through it with DS1 (he was on tippy toes and got discouraged). He has always been very tall (he is 5'6'' at age 11). We bought a Giant brand bike and our DS2 is now riding it... looks practically brand new. We've been very satisfied with our purchase. Here is their 16" http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/animator/11657/55957/#overview and their 20" http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/moda/11542/55955/

We bought DS2 a Diamondback bike from Sport Chalet ... it was not expensive, he loved it and it also held up very well.

MontrealMum
01-07-2013, 02:17 AM
My DS is an extremely tall 5.5 y.o. (he wears size 7 clothing) We bought him an 18" with training wheels a few months before he turned 4. He's still using it. Keep in mind that unless you buy a super expensive brand, the larger the bike, the more it weighs. It can be surprisingly difficult for little ones to power kid bikes, whether the frame is the right size for height (big enough) or not. I remember the first time I had to carry DS' bike from the house to the car and I was shocked at how heavy it was. It's heavier than mine!!! Also remember, although a 20" frame is larger than an 18" or 16" one, for the most part you can raise the handlebars/seat to accommodate a tall kiddo on a smaller frame.