PDA

View Full Version : Need help for dry cheeks (update #10)

wendibird22
01-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Update in post 10.

The skin just beneath the apples of my cheeks and towards my nose is soooooo dry. I've always had oily, acne prone skin. Since going GF a year ago my skin is amazingly clear and I find I can use skin care products that I always thought made me oily/breakout (ha, it was the gluten!). Now that winter is here and I'm in heated buildings all day long my face has gone dry. I'm using philosophy cleanser, ditched the Mia, use either Cerave or argon oil, or both for moisture, and use Skin79 BB cream for make up. I like the BB cream because I can pat it into my skin instead of buffing bare minerals in, I don't get as much flaking. Over the weekend I didn't wear any make up and applied Cerave like 3x a day and before bed and I'm still so dry. I've upped my H2O intake (I'm horrible about drinking water). It's just my cheeks. The rest of my face is fine.

Any suggestions?

ETA: I'm careful to use gluten free products on my face since I don't want to risk lotions getting into my mouth either when I shower or from applying them with my hands.

candaceb
01-07-2013, 11:42 AM
I might get kicked off the BBB but I don't pay attention to EWG ratings. I just do what works for my skin. My dermatologist has me using Cetaphil cream (the kind in a tub) as my facial moisturizer. Sounds weird but I have super dry sensitive skin and it is working better than any of the $$$ products I used previously.

speo
01-07-2013, 11:46 AM
I have chronically dry facial skin during the winter. Even rinsing my face with water can give me dry skin. I have tried lots of moisturizers but they only barely helped. I had recently ordered argan oil based on recs here, but hadn't used it. I thought I would give it a try and it cleared up the dry skin right away. I am amazed! I put a little on at night.

lizzywednesday
01-07-2013, 11:55 AM
While we were traveling (to Phoenix, AZ) I was using Badger Balm's "Bali Balm" (a/k/a "after-sun balm") on my face at night to keep dryness at bay.

It's olive-and-castor-oil based but I am not sure if it's certified gluten free.

truly scrumptious
01-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Safemama has a list of gluten free skin care (look at the bottom):
http://safemama.com/2010/03/15/paraben-phthalate-free-skin-care-baby/

And another one for dry skin care:
http://safemama.com/2012/01/24/calendula-cream-cheat-sheet/

EllasMum
01-07-2013, 12:15 PM
In previous years, I have always gotten the dry, flaky patches on my cheeks. Moisturizers generally didn't help, or would help for a few hours and then by mid day the flakes would be back. I tried numerous moisturizers and got the same result. This year, I started using a toner (Neutrogena Refining Pore) that has alpha hydroxy (though likely low level, given that it is a drug store formula!) and the dry patches are completely gone. I do use my regular moisturizer (from a health food store - seabuckthorn anti-aging lotion) and that's it. I know it is the toner that is making the difference because I ran out just before Christmas and didn't get anymore for a few days, and by the 3rd day the dry patches were back. They went away again when I started back with the toner.

mypa
01-07-2013, 02:27 PM
I have found that with dry patches only something containing an exfoliant like alpha hydroxy acids will help. Adding oils/moisturizers may help prevent the dryness but to get rid of it in the first place is to gently exfoliate with topical exfoliant, not physical ones like scrubs and brushes which may make it worse.

There are many on the market but the one I tried was Olay Elixir Night Repair. I got mine at Costco.
http://www.amazon.com/Olay-Regenerist-Advanced-Anti-Aging-Resurfacing/dp/B003U7OYK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357583081&sr=8-1&keywords=olay+elixir

After trying for years to get rid of my dry patches, using the above for a week totally got rid of it.

wendibird22
01-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Thanks all. I went ahead with the Neutrogena toner because I know it's GF and I didn't want to wait to hear back from Olay CS. I also bought the Cerave night cream (was just using my day cream at night so thought I should use a heavier PM formula). So far it is helping. Dry but not flaking. I also switched back to my BM to see if the BB cream is too drying for me.

novmber
01-08-2013, 01:08 PM
I might get kicked off the BBB but I don't pay attention to EWG ratings. I just do what works for my skin. My dermatologist has me using Cetaphil cream (the kind in a tub) as my facial moisturizer. Sounds weird but I have super dry sensitive skin and it is working better than any of the $$$ products I used previously.

I have very dry skin and have been using the same for several years

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

wendibird22
01-15-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm happy to report that the toner and Cerave PM have helped immensely. I went back to using the BB cream and w/in a day I was flakey again. So, Skin79 Gold is definitely too drying for me. If I keep up with the toner, pm cream, and use BM, then my skin is much better. I was actually at the MAC counter at Macy's the other day looking at foundation/powder and the guy at the counter directed me to a light coverage powder to use as foundation and said I have great skin. First time I've heard that EVER. So thanks ladies!

boilermakermom
01-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Coconut Oil before bed. It works!