PDA

View Full Version : Baptism/1st Birthday Party

psimpson3-5
01-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Is it in poor taste to combine these two events? I never got around to planning DS's baptism for various reasons, now it's so close to his first birthday, it would be so much easier to combine for 1 party. At first I was thinking this is a great idea, because we could rent a place, serve lunch, beer, & wine and invite a bunch of people. Also, my mother lives in a different state, so it would be easy for her to only have to fly out once. My other thought was that my friends would most likely appreciate only having 1 event to attend, rather than 2 back to back.

When I asked a few friends, they said some people might feel obligated to bring 2 gifts. I get really anxious when I feel I might give a bad impression.

I'm wondering what your opinion is. Is this a bad idea?

BDKmom
01-07-2013, 02:44 PM
I personally wouldn't be bothered by it, but not sure what is typical, especially in your area. But to the two gift thing, wouldn't they have to bring two gifts if it were two separate events? So combining or having separate wouldn't really change this, except that some may only bring one gift if it is combined.

I am all for simplifying, so I say do combined, especially since your mom would have to travel for both if you did separate. But, I'm not really bothered if someone thinks this is odd, so maybe other posters have more info on what's acceptable.

AnnieW625
01-07-2013, 02:49 PM
If you are just inviting close family and friends, then no it wouldn't bother me, and I would probably do it. If you were planning on inviting play group or neighbor friends who you wouldn't invite to a baptism then I would keep the two separate.

Another option would be to word it like this on the invite:

Please join us to celebrate the baptism of Baby X
Date
Time
A light lunch, and cake will be served at our home to celebrate the baptism and Baby X's first birthday.

In this case I would make the cake say Happy birthday Baby X.

infocrazy
01-07-2013, 03:08 PM
We are doing a baptism (youngest) and 1st Communion (oldest) combination! I am all about simplifying since like you we will have many out of towners for the same events!

Personally, in your scenario, I think it is more likely it will be a combination gift vs 2, and I think it will likely just be money--at least that's what I would do. I agree with pp who said if two events it would be two gifts anyway!

KpbS
01-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Yes, great idea! Combine the events since it will likely be the same family members invited to both. We had all 3 DC baptized at the same time and invited 24 close family members and friends out to lunch and brought our own cake. It was lovely and it is not traditional in our area to do gifts so that was a non-issue fwiw.

westwoodmom04
01-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Until my dd was 3, we always asked for no gifts on the invite. Close relatives will still give you stuff, but it makes it less awkward when you are inviting a big group.

bisous
01-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Totally combine! Better for grandma and for you and sounds fun. :) I don't think the present issue is a big deal at all.