PDA

View Full Version : Please help - advice needed

brgnmom
01-08-2013, 01:46 AM
Earlier today, I received 2 sets of emails from a different forum that another person tried to log into my acct unsuccessfully, but because the person tried to guess my password 5plus times at two different times of the day, my account was deactivated temporarily. The forum admin emailed me the IP address of the person behind the attempted break-ins. The IP address is the same in both sets of emails sent by the other forum.

What would you do in my situation? I know of only two others who have my email address associated with the other forum, and they both happen to be on Dh's side of the family.

Thanks in advance.

anonomom
01-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Beyond changing your login info, I'm not really sure what you can do. It is weird and creepy, though.

TwinFoxes
01-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Have you tried googling the IP? It might tell you the general area it was from. I think chances are it was a spambot more than it was DH's family.

sarahsthreads
01-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Is it possible that it's just someone who thought they owned your email address and were already a member of that forum? My gmail account is FirstName.LastName and you would not believe how many shipping notices I get for people with the same name as me. I would be horrified if I were the other people with my name, because there is a shocking amount of personal data in a shipping notice...

I've had this happen frequently on Facebook because of the apparently common-place nature of my name and that my gmail address is my name. As a result, I have a truly random strong password on my Facebook account that would be completely impossible to guess. (I mean, even more random and strong than my usual passwords. Nobody wants their Facebook account hacked into!)

I'd just double check that you have a super strong password and not worry about it, honestly.

Sarah :)