PDA

View Full Version : Exercise classes

acmom
01-08-2013, 07:48 AM
I would love to branch out this year and start doing some classes at my Y. There are a lot of choices and not sure what might be good to try. I noticed a lot of you mentioned enjoying classes in the other exercise threads so thought you might have some advice for me.

I have tibial torsion and have been told in the past I was supposed to avoid high impact stuff as it could give me future knee and hip issues. I don't need to lose weight, but would just like to expand my exercise routine to include more than just the cardio machines I typically do now.

Any class recommendations or advice on starting a new class? I'm a little worried about looking like a fool who doesnt know what she is doing!

wellyes
01-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Try spin! High intensity, low joint impact. Plus, it is typically held in a darkened room so it's the most 'private' of all classes.

In spin, the instructor suggests a speed and intensity. YOU have complete control over the intensity (how much tension to put on your bike). And no one can see what you chose. It is extremely customizable. For me, I just went through the motions early on and that was a workout! I gradually increased how hard I was working, at my own pace.

It is a class that really makes you sweat BUT I feel good, not sore afterwards.

SnuggleBuggles
01-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Body Pump/ Group Power. You'd add some weight training to your routine.

boogiemom
01-08-2013, 05:35 PM
I started Zumba just over a year ago as someone who hadn't exercised in years and was well over 100 lbs. overweight. To say I was nervous and uneasy would be a serious understatement. I had multiple issues with old injuries. Zumba worked for me because: 1)I love the music and it makes me want to move, 2) every move can be modified so every person can participate at a level that works for them and 3) it is a fun class filled with people who are happy to be there. Zumba is not a chore. It seriously changed my life and my outlook on fitness. Now I've lost over 100 lbs. and I teach Zumba three times a week. :-)

Try something that sounds like fun. Don't worry about doing it wrong. Every person in the room was new to it at some point. Just do the best you can! Good luck!

redhookmom
01-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Just like with kids classes it is all about the teacher. Try a bunch and find one you love. My favorites (even with a so-so teacher) are yoga, spin and zumba.