PDA

View Full Version : Sick baby not sure what to do

flashy09
01-08-2013, 11:31 AM
My baby slept 3 hrs later than normal (915!) this morning and was very lethargic while awake....now back asleep less than 1 hr after getting up. Had some of her bottle, which she spat up/threw up, but this is not like the stomach flu she had last month where she seriously threw up over and over. It was a small amount and no more since. She is pale and just exhausted. Wouldn't eat breakfast and just slumped over and tried to sleep in the high chair. No fever. I am really scared seeing her so weak and out of it. She did smile at me so is responsive, but obviously feels terrible.

Called the pediatrician and, as always just speak to the nurse, who said not to bring her in as no fever. I know that's a positive, but this is the first time she has ever seemed sick. The earlier stomach virus hit her quickly like a ton of bricks and left just as quickly, she never seemed to feel bad apart from her stomach, and I am really nervous.

She has a milk protein allergy and also had a bad reaction to soy formula given last week, but it's been 6 days since she had any - her reactions have always just been gastrointestinal, but could this be related? Could she be weak from losing too much blood from the irritation?

Thanks for reading and any advice on whether to bring her in anyway or what to do. This kind of illness is so much scarier than colds/throwing up. I hate not knowing if she has something serious wrong with her.

She did get vaccinated for the flu this fall. Just returned from England on the 3rd, where Norovirus was rampant, but I think the incubation period is not that long and her stomach is not that upset anyway.

megs4413
01-08-2013, 11:54 AM
i would take her to the pediatrician right away. the ER if the pedi wouldn't fit me in. the lethargy sounds pretty severe and with her allergy history...i would be going!

egoldber
01-08-2013, 11:55 AM
I would absolutely take her to the ped ASAP. My younger DD presented this way and she had RSV and was in the hospital for a week!

wendibird22
01-08-2013, 11:56 AM
You are nervous and scared so I say call the ped back and ask for an appointment. You need the peace of mind and there's nothing wrong with that. Given the food allergies and recent illness I think you are justified in wanting to find out if there's anything you can do to help her feel better.

maydaymommy
01-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Take her in!
Nothing to be lost by trusting your instincts.

Hope she's back to herself soon!

flashy09
01-08-2013, 12:09 PM
I would absolutely take her to the ped ASAP. My younger DD presented this way and she had RSV and was in the hospital for a week!

Did she have a cough or fever? I don't know whether to wake her up now and just take her in or let her wake up naturally and see how she is. Wish I could get past the receptionist (not even sure if she is a nurse) and talk to her Dr!

egoldber
01-08-2013, 12:11 PM
She had a cough, but no fever. But the cough was not even that bad. The main symptoms were some congestion and the lethargy.

Philly Mom
01-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Any chance that this is residual jet lag? We got back from the UK on the 31st and we have found DD to be sleeping a lot. She did not nap on the plane ride back so she was up for a long time. With DD, we think it may also be a growth spurt. In your situation, I would make an appointment anyway. If she is normally an active baby, then this is out of the ordinary. I would also mention to the nurse that you have been in the UK recently, which is having a norovirus outbreak and on an airplane. I don't think fevers are the be all and end all to tell if someone is really sick.

123LuckyMom
01-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Call back and insist you be seen. If they won't see you, go to the ER. I don't like that she's lethargic, and you seem worried. You should always trust your mama instincts! If it's nothing, fine. It cost you a little money and some time. If she's not fine, though, and you let a nurse on the phone override your gut, you'd have a hard time forgiving yourself. Take her to the doctor.

flashy09
01-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Any chance that this is residual jet lag? We got back from the UK on the 31st and we have found DD to be sleeping a lot. She did not nap on the plane ride back so she was up for a long time. With DD, we think it may also be a growth spurt. In your situation, I would make an appointment anyway. If she is normally an active baby, then this is out of the ordinary. I would also mention to the nurse that you have been in the UK recently, which is having a norovirus outbreak and on an airplane. I don't think fevers are the be all and end all to tell if someone is really sick.

She has been fine the past few days with jet lag ...only sign has been getting up earlier and naps/bedtime slightly earlier....so to sleep this late and long seems really unusual. She has literally been asleep since 630 pm last night minus the 45 minutes of changing her diaper and having her try to sleep in her high chair.

Philly Mom
01-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Insist on going in and tell them you have been to the UK. That is a lot of sleep. DD is a sleeper and I would be alarmed by that amount of sleep. I would not wake her up though unless the doctor says you have an appointment at X time and she is still sleeping. Let her sleep until the appointment.

minnie-zb
01-08-2013, 12:29 PM
I agree with everyone else that you should call back and ask for an appointment.

Did she have a wet diaper when she got up? She sounds like she might be dehydrated.

Clarity
01-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Do you have a children's hospital nearby? I might be inclined to bypass the reluctant nurse and head there. If not, I would either insist that the doctor see her or take her to an immediate care/ER center.

YouAreTheFocus
01-08-2013, 12:45 PM
I agree--call back and insist on being seen, or take her to the ER if need be. The sleeping late isn't crazy, but still being exhausted and lethargic upon waking is alarming to me. DS had a severe infection when he was a baby, and this is how I knew something was wrong. We brought him to the ER.

HannaAddict
01-08-2013, 12:52 PM
You know your baby. You know something isn't right. Take her to ped or ER as others have said. The nurse is an idiot if system don't bring her in just because no fever. Our ped would have said bring her in and let us check her out. Especially with traveling where she's exposed to tons of things, and the lethargy - that is a bigger sign than just having a fever. Good luck and hope she feels better soon.

BabbyO
01-08-2013, 12:58 PM
The lethargy would concern me...and I've learned TRUST your GUT!!! you know your baby. If your doc can't fit you in...go to Urgent care if you want to avoid a trip to the ER. But if that is your only option I think I'd go to the ER.

Even when Peanut was exhausted and somewhat dehydrated from a stomach virus in October he didn't sleep that much or seem that lethargic upon waking.

westwoodmom04
01-08-2013, 02:58 PM
If you call the office back and say you feel she needs to be seen today due to lethargy, they will see her. I would not take her to the ER with the symptoms you described because you will get triaged to the back of the line. You will spend hours waiting to be seen, and with the flu everywhere, I wouldn't want to take the risk of exposing her. Not to mention you will be charged several hundred dollars for the privilege of doing so. You can always go to an urgent care center, but really, seeing your doctor who knows your child is always the best route.

amom526
01-08-2013, 03:28 PM
DO you have no way to speak to your Dr. unless the receptionist deems it necessary? Can't you just call and say you have a semi urgent question, can the dr please call you back as soon as possible?

DS was very lethargic a couple weeks ago but he had fever as well. I know how nerve wracking the lethargy can be. This was actually on Christmas, so I called the on call number, and the dr. on call made me feel so dumb and said that "lethargic means that the child is not responsive at all". I didn't, and still, don't think that;s true, but that's another story. I didn't take him in and he ended up being fine, but also slept A TON. He normally sleeps an average amount, but he took a 2 hour nap, and then went to sleep at like 4 pm for the night.

I would take her in just for the piece of mind if you are worried.

flashy09
01-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Thanks for all the advice and support! She woke up around 11 and I thought she was more alert, but I sat her on the floor with her toys and she immediately did a belly flop and almost went back to sleep. I got quite panicked and made an appointment and luckily got another receptionist/nurse that didn't play Dr.

While waiting at home, DD suddenly started screaming and arching her back and went through an hour of hell. At one stage I thought she was having a seizure she writing around so violently. Full blown purple face, screaming, arching, body slamming, head banging, biting my shoulder crying. It was awful.

She was exhausted at the Dr, but everything checked out fine, although she was sore to palpation on her stomach. Diagnosed with a stomach bug. I hope that's all it is, it seems like she should be throwing up more rather than so much pain and lethargy, but I guess every virus is different. She is back asleep next to me in bed and I am nervous to leave her side at the moment. Between the worry and the crying/body slamming, I am feeling as drained as she is!

megs4413
01-08-2013, 04:19 PM
has she eaten at all? is she making wet diapers?

alexsmommy
01-08-2013, 05:23 PM
This current strain of flu has hit our family hard - body aches, cough and exhaustion. I slept the better part of 48 hrs at the height of it. This is UNHEARD of for me. I had stomach cramps, but no throwing up or diarrhea so perhaps that is what is going on for you all as well. I hope she feels better soon.

crl
01-08-2013, 05:26 PM
I hope she feels better soon!

Catherine

trcy
01-08-2013, 05:31 PM
I am just seeing this thread now, I hope things have improved since your last post. Trust your mommy gut. If you don't think the ped is right get another opinion. :grouphug:

flashy09
01-08-2013, 05:34 PM
has she eaten at all? is she making wet diapers?

She had a Plum food pouch and 3 oz of Junior Water 11:30. She's basically been asleep all day besides the hour of crazy crying. Should I wake her up and offer some food or water or just let her sleep? Her diaper is wet at the moment. She hasn't spat up/thrown up or had any more diarrhea - really don't feel it's a stomach virus, but instead another virus that has knocked her out and the stomach irritation is secondary or leftover from the soy formula.

AngB
01-08-2013, 05:44 PM
She had a Plum food pouch and 3 oz of Junior Water 11:30. She's basically been asleep all day besides the hour of crazy crying. Should I wake her up and offer some food or water or just let her sleep? Her diaper is wet at the moment. She hasn't spat up/thrown up or had any more diarrhea - really don't feel it's a stomach virus, but instead another virus that has knocked her out and the stomach irritation is secondary or leftover from the soy formula.

I would let her sleep since she is over a year old, if she were hungry she'd wake up, imo. (I would change her diaper to see if it wakes her up and if she does then offer her water/food.)

daisymommy
01-08-2013, 06:26 PM
I would wake her up every 3 hours and try to get a little bit of fluids in her. It is very easy for a young child to become dehydrated. My oldest son had the flu at age 2, no vomiting or diarrhea, and within 2 days of sleeping a lot and not drinking much he was in the hospital with IV bags.

Sent from my iPad

megs4413
01-08-2013, 06:30 PM

here is what is standing out to me:

1. she has not had enough fluid intake to keep her hydrated.

2. she's lethargic and sleeping excessively. when awake, she's horribly uncomfortable.

3. she has a history of food allergies and has had a recent exposure.

4. her abdomen was tender on examination.

5. she has no fever, so infection seems less likely.

I don't know anything about your pedi or what your DD was acting like at the office, but I probably would hope to see some improvement from her by tonight. If not, I'd probably call my allergist.

daisymommy
01-08-2013, 09:02 PM
What stands out to me is the lethargy, horrible fit--not normal--, and abdomen pain. That is not a stomach bug in my opinion.

When was her last poop? Was it normal? Or blackish at all?

Sent from my iPad

mackmama
01-08-2013, 10:05 PM
What stands out to me is the lethargy, horrible fit--not normal--, and abdomen pain. That is not a stomach bug in my opinion.

When was her last poop? Was it normal? Or blackish at all?

Sent from my iPad

Not to alarm you, but I tend to agree. Has she shown any improvement? Is she running a fever? The lethargy and level of pain she showed is concerning. Personally I'd consider an urgent care or ER.

edurnemk
01-08-2013, 10:08 PM
I'd try to get more fluids in her, by whatever means. 3 oz of water is too little IMO, and she might be dehydrated.

chlobo
01-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Just wondering how the baby is this morning?

Beth24
01-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Just wondering how the baby is this morning?

Yes! Please update when you can.

123LuckyMom
01-09-2013, 12:52 PM
I'm hoping to hear from you, too. We're all concerned and hoping the little one is feeling better!

MSWR0319
01-09-2013, 01:17 PM
I'm hoping to hear from you, too. We're all concerned and hoping the little one is feeling better!

:yeahthat: I've been thinking about you guys all morning.

flashy09
01-09-2013, 01:29 PM
She woke up around 5 and was more alert, although did not eat or drink. Went to bed around 745 and when I went to check on her she had thrown up in her crib. Changed her outfit and sheets and was reading to her when she threw up again, a huge amount. Called the after hours number and told the whole story, but still nobody thought she needed to come in. The lack of fever and fact her alertness had gotten better not worse was the reasoning I was given. We took her to bed with us and she had an uneventful night. Still very tired and on her second nap of the day now, but relatively normal when awake. I can only get her to drink Alimentum, which is probably not the best choice, but she refuses any pedialyte, water or juice and is holding it down. So she's had 6 oz of liquid and nothing else. Hopefully when she wakes up I can get more liquid and food into her. No more pain luckily. I guess it's just a nasty stomach virus that really knocked her out, probably the Norovirus that was all over England. Thanks for all the concern and advice!

Philly Mom
01-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Put pedialyte (plain) in the formula, 2oz at a time. Hope she feels better.

edurnemk
01-09-2013, 02:08 PM
When DS had a bad stomach bug at around 17 months the nurse told me I could give him Jello and popsicles to get him to take fluids, in addition to Pedyalyte. Would your baby take some Jello?

MSWR0319
01-09-2013, 04:20 PM
DS1 had a nasty stomach bug when he was about 2, so a little older, but I couldn't get him to drink anything but milk. I didn't want to give it to him because I was afraid it would make him throw up again. I called the dr. And she told me to let him drink what he wanted so he wouldn't get dehydrated. So as long as she's drinking something I wouldn't worry too much about the Alimentum. I'd try to get the other stuff in her, but let her drink what she'll drink.

flashy09
01-09-2013, 07:07 PM
DS1 had a nasty stomach bug when he was about 2, so a little older, but I couldn't get him to drink anything but milk. I didn't want to give it to him because I was afraid it would make him throw up again. I called the dr. And she told me to let him drink what he wanted so he wouldn't get dehydrated. So as long as she's drinking something I wouldn't worry too much about the Alimentum. I'd try to get the other stuff in her, but let her drink what she'll drink.

That's what I figured and since she stopped throwing up at 10 or 11 the night before I hoped the worst was over. She did really well after the second nap and I got quite a bit of puréed food in her and some juice and water and she had a great afternoon. Went to bed just now so still extra tired, but no more of the weakness and lethargy. That was so scary and I still don't feel comfortable with it honestly, she has always been such a strong alert baby and even when exhausted she has never been floppy and out of it like that.

I am on my phone and don't know how to multi quote anyway so just want to say thank you to the jello and pedialyte in formula advice (and everyone else's). This forum is amazing and I have learned so much!