PDA

View Full Version : CPSC warning about FP Rock N Play sleepers

wendibird22
01-08-2013, 02:19 PM
http://www.13wham.com/content/news/consumer/story/fisher-price-rock-play-sleeper/apvjw3L3kUm2qziikcGmyg.cspx

The government is warning consumers to inspect Fisher-Price Newborn Rock 'N Play Sleepers due to risk of exposure to mold for infants who use them.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission said Tuesday its warning applies to 800,000 infant recliner seats that were sold at stores nationwide and online since September 2009, with prices ranging between $50 and $85. The seats, designed for babies up to 25 pounds, feature a soft plastic seat held in a tubular metal rocking frame. The product has a removable fabric cover.

Mold can develop between the seat cushion and the hard plastic frame if the sleepers remains wet or is infrequently cleaned.

Fisher-Price has received 600 reports of mold and 16 infants have been treated for respiratory issues, coughs and hives after using the sleepers.

anonomom
01-08-2013, 02:29 PM
I have to laugh. When DD2 was a baby, I looked into buying one of these for her, only to be horrified by the scores of reviews on Amazon about babies getting flat head and/or Torticullis (sp?) from using this product. I was bothered enough to file a CPSC report (and I never do that!). Can't believe it's being now recalled for something completely different.

TwoBees
01-08-2013, 02:32 PM
I have to laugh. When DD2 was a baby, I looked into buying one of these for her, only to be horrified by the scores of reviews on Amazon about babies getting flat head and/or Torticullis (sp?) from using this product. I was bothered enough to file a CPSC report (and I never do that!). Can't believe it's being now recalled for something completely different.

A bit OT, but babies can get flat head or torticollis from many other things too. The Rock and Play was invaluable to us. DD had severe reflux and many days and nights this was the only way she was comfortable. But back to the topic, ours seemed very well-ventilated, and the cover was machine washable. Not sure how it would get moldy. Maybe the recall is for the plushier versions (we had the very first version)?

June Mommy2
01-08-2013, 02:38 PM
We loved the Rock & Play but I will say that we did have the mold issue :( And my DD was never soaked through in it, and it WAS frequently cleaned. It was like somehow heat or vapor was trapped between the cover and the backing, and little pin dots of mold grew on the backing part, which is not removeable. I have tried cleaning it, but it's some sort of nylon-like material, and I can't get it off :( We borrowed it from a friend so I would love to figure out a way to clean or replace that part before we give it back. You can order replacement top covers from FP but not the bottom from what I can tell.

AngB
01-08-2013, 02:40 PM
A bit OT, but babies can get flat head or torticollis from many other things too. The Rock and Play was invaluable to us. DD had severe reflux and many days and nights this was the only way she was comfortable. But back to the topic, ours seemed very well-ventilated, and the cover was machine washable. Not sure how it would get moldy. Maybe the recall is for the plushier versions (we had the very first version)?

:yeahthat:
DS1 didn't have reflux but this is the only thing he slept in, no head issues.

Here's the email FP sent me:

Dear Consumer,
This email is being sent to you because our records indicate that you own a Fisher-Price Newborn Rock ’n Play Sleeper™.

Fisher-Price®, in cooperation with the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, is voluntarily announcing a recall to inspect Fisher-Price Newborn Rock ’n Play Sleepers™. Mold can develop between the removable seat cushion and the hard plastic frame of the sleeper when it remains wet/moist or is infrequently cleaned.

Mold is not present at the time of purchase, but mold can grow after use of the product. Newborn Rock ’n Play Sleepers™ currently in retail stores are not affected by this recall to inspect.

Since our records indicate that you own one or more of these Newborn Rock ’n Play Sleepers™, we are contacting you directly as a courtesy.

The sleeper is designed for babies up to 25 pounds and is composed of a metal rocking frame and removable, washable fabric cover. The product is sold in various patterns and color palettes

If mold growth is discovered, you can click here for cleaning instructions.

You can also contact Fisher-Price at 1-800-432-5437 Monday through Friday between the hours of 9 AM and 6 PM Eastern Time.

Sincerely,

Fisher-Price, Inc.
David Kosnoff
Vice President, Product Quality & Regulatory Compliance

AngB
01-08-2013, 02:49 PM
We loved the Rock & Play but I will say that we did have the mold issue :( And my DD was never soaked through in it, and it WAS frequently cleaned. It was like somehow heat or vapor was trapped between the cover and the backing, and little pin dots of mold grew on the backing part, which is not removeable. I have tried cleaning it, but it's some sort of nylon-like material, and I can't get it off :( We borrowed it from a friend so I would love to figure out a way to clean or replace that part before we give it back. You can order replacement top covers from FP but not the bottom from what I can tell.

Here are the "cleaning instructions" from FP:
http://service.mattel.com/us/recall/English%20Rock%27nPlaySleeperFinal%20instructions. pdf

georgiegirl
01-08-2013, 03:00 PM
My DS got torticollis from sleeping in his swing. (He would not sleep on his back and this was before that rock n play sleeper came out.) Fortunately, I knew what it was beforehand and we had an OT come out to our house when he was 4 months old to begin therapy. It was completely resolved by 6.5 months.