PDA

View Full Version : Help a newbie make oven roasted veggies

jgenie
01-08-2013, 02:29 PM
A while back someone posted about making a pan of roasted veggies on the weekend or early in the week and then eating from those veggies throughout the week. I would really like to try this. Does anyone make these and care to share the "how to" with me? I tried a search but didn't come up with the post I was looking for. TIA

karstmama
01-08-2013, 02:55 PM
fairly easy! you can use many different veggies or all the same (like a batch of potatoes). if you use a mix, try to cut the softer ones bigger & harder ones smaller so they are done in the same time frame, or you can add smaller ones (like green beans or kale) a bit later.

clean, trim, then cut your veggies bite-size-ish. i usually put in a bowl or baggie and mix or shake in olive oil, salt, and pepper instead of trying to mix on the baking sheet, but mixing on the baking sheet isn't wrong. put into a pre-heated oven, in the 350-400 range, for 40-ish minutes. you'll know they're done when many of the edges are a dark brown. some things are quicker, like okra takes 20ish minutes, but the color test still holds true.

veggies i've used successfully - potato, sweet potato, onion, brussels sprouts, okra, kale, carrots, parsnips, rutabega, green beans, corn, squash, zucchini, cabbage...that's all i can think of, though there may be others. to reheat, i usually run through the toaster oven because i think that tastes better than the microwave.

have fun!

momm
01-08-2013, 03:16 PM
I was thinking the SAME thing!
I found this recipe online, and was planning to substitute vegetables and try

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-vegetables/
(http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-vegetables/)
Good luck to us!

larig
01-08-2013, 06:01 PM
I use this recipe (Ina Garten), but, like karstmama (who gave great tips!), I put all the cut vegetables in a ziploc with the oil and seasoning and shake it up to get a better coating on the vegetables. DH goes bonkers for these roasted veg, particularly the parsnips.

jgenie
01-08-2013, 10:15 PM
I use this recipe (Ina Garten), but, like karstmama (who gave great tips!), I put all the cut vegetables in a ziploc with the oil and seasoning and shake it up to get a better coating on the vegetables. DH goes bonkers for these roasted veg, particularly the parsnips.

Is this (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-winter-vegetables-recipe/index.html) the recipe you use?

jgenie
01-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the details karstmama. I'm adding this to next week's menu. :)

karstmama
01-08-2013, 10:31 PM
more than welcome! it's an addiction...

anamika
01-09-2013, 12:39 AM
My friend brought this to a bookclub many years back and it was the first time I had tried roasted veggies. It was a revelation! This recipe is sooooo good.

CARMELIZED VEGETABLES WITH SPICES
4 to 6 servings

1/2 cup light olive oil or canola oil
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon ground cumin (or to taste)
1 teaspoon ground chili powder (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 large carrots, peeled
3 bell peppers of different colors
1 large onion, peeled
1 medium zucchini

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, vinegar, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and brown sugar. Set aside.

3. Cut each carrot in halves lengthwise, then into quarters crosswise. Cut into sticks about 1/2 inch by 2 inches. Add to bowl of dressing to marinate.

4. Quarter each pepper and remove seeds and stems. Cut on diagonal into 1/2 inch wide strips. Cut off stem end of onion, then cut into wedges about 1 inch thick. Add both of these vegetables to dressing and marinate at least 10 minutes.

5. With a slotted spoon, remove vegetables from dressing and spread in a single layer in large roasting pan or jelly roll pan, lined with foil and lightly oiled to help prevent sticking. Reduce heat to 400 degrees and cook vegetables approximately 20 minutes. Stir about 1/2 way through cooking time.

6. While vegetables are cooking, prepare zucchini. Quarter in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Cut crosswise into 1 inch pieces and put into marinade. When ready to cook, remove from marinade and add to vegetables in oven. Continue roasting until veggies are tender and juices have carmelized, about 10 minutes. Dish can be served warm or at room temp.

brittone2
01-09-2013, 10:54 AM
veggies i've used successfully - potato, sweet potato, onion, brussels sprouts, okra, kale, carrots, parsnips, rutabega, green beans, corn, squash, zucchini, cabbage...that's all i can think of, though there may be others. to reheat, i usually run through the toaster oven because i think that tastes better than the microwave.

have fun!
You've probably tried it, but broccoli is great too. THe crispy carmelized edges are great :) I buy a huge thing of broccoli and roast a big tray of it.

Beth24
01-09-2013, 11:36 AM
You've probably tried it, but broccoli is great too. THe crispy carmelized edges are great :) I buy a huge thing of broccoli and roast a big tray of it.

We just had that last night! :)

larig
01-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Is this (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-winter-vegetables-recipe/index.html) the recipe you use?

yep. sorry for forgetting the link!!

larig
01-09-2013, 11:57 AM
duplicate post.

mctlaw
01-11-2013, 12:04 PM
One thing to note for good results, is to not crowd your pan or your veggies will get steamed rather than roasted and be too mushy. Single layer with a little space around the veggies is best.

JustMe
01-12-2013, 01:47 AM

About how long do you roast broccoli for?

I feel quite dense because I can't quite figure out the roasted veggies thing, and we are all vegetarians here so I would love too! Anything other than potato-like things I tend to overcook. Potatoes and the like, its just hard for me to get them crispy (I had a thread about that in the past).

sunshine873
01-13-2013, 07:41 PM

I don't know why I had never thought of this before you said it! I made it tonight and it was fabulous! All of us loved it, and DD had 2nds! She's OK with veggies, but usually only has a piece or two. Eating an entire serving and then asking for more? Score!

karstmama
01-13-2013, 08:03 PM
yep, broccoli is awesome roasted. so, op, did you have a successful roasting venture??

crl
01-13-2013, 08:40 PM
About how long do you roast broccoli for?

I feel quite dense because I can't quite figure out the roasted veggies thing, and we are all vegetarians here so I would love too! Anything other than potato-like things I tend to overcook. Potatoes and the like, its just hard for me to get them crispy (I had a thread about that in the past).

For potatoes, are you making sure they are dry before you roast them? I find that they tend to steam more than brown if they aren't all the way dry before I cut them up and roast them. I try to wash earlier in the day and leave them sitting out to dry.

An additional suggestion to roast is cauliflower. We love it this way. I suggested it to a friend who tried it and says it's like eating popcorn.

Catherine

JustMe
01-13-2013, 09:48 PM
For potatoes, are you making sure they are dry before you roast them? I find that they tend to steam more than brown if they aren't all the way dry before I cut them up and roast them. I try to wash earlier in the day and leave them sitting out to dry.

An additional suggestion to roast is cauliflower. We love it this way. I suggested it to a friend who tried it and says it's like eating popcorn.

Catherine

Nope, that may be the problem. Thanks!

So, about how long do your roask cauliflower or broccoli for?

acmom
01-14-2013, 01:54 PM
The Wegmans website (www.wegmans.com) has some great, easy roasted veggie recipes. I love their cauliflower popcorn, roasted mushrooms and roasted root veggies recipes.

ETA: Agree with crl, getting them pretty dry makes a big difference in crispiness.

jgenie
01-14-2013, 09:31 PM
OP back with an update. I made roasted veggies for the first time and they came out great! Thanks for the step by step instructions. I made sweet potatoes, cauliflower and asparagus. The cauliflower was amazing. I think I ate most of the first tray so I had to put a second tray in the oven. Thanks so much - this is going to be on our menu every week.

crl
01-15-2013, 01:44 AM
OP back with an update. I made roasted veggies for the first time and they came out great! Thanks for the step by step instructions. I made sweet potatoes, cauliflower and asparagus. The cauliflower was amazing. I think I ate most of the first tray so I had to put a second tray in the oven. Thanks so much - this is going to be on our menu every week.

:bighand:

Catherine

DrSally
01-15-2013, 01:45 AM
I heard that sprinkling the califlower w/ parmesean is yummy!

DrSally
01-15-2013, 01:45 AM
Crl, good idea on washing earlier and letting them dry. I'm going to try that next time!

karstmama
01-15-2013, 08:09 AM
that's great, op! i'm so glad they turned out!

essnce629
01-15-2013, 12:24 PM
I love roasted veggies! It's pretty much the only way I eat veggies. I usually just throw them in a big ziploc or large bowl with some olive oil and a few squares of the TJ's frozen garlic squares and shake them up. After putting them on the pan I season them with pepper and Vege-Sal. My favorites, that I do all the time, are broccoli, kale, zucchini (ate last night), brussel sprouts, carrots, and asparagus. If I'm doing broccoli, kale, or zucchini then I usually sprinkle Parmesan cheese on them as well or nutritional yeast (which also gives a cheesy flavor). For the asparagus, I love to include the zest from one lemon or a sprinkling of balsamic vinegar. For the carrots, usually a sprinkling of thyme and a tiny drizzle of honey. I eat roasted kale like chips and can finish off a whole pan in one sitting! DS2 likes kale chips too.

I usually roast everything on 425 degrees. Broccoli takes the longest at around 25-30 minutes. Asparagus roasts up the fastest (around 12 minutes), so I always make it when I'm in a rush.

elbenn
01-15-2013, 02:01 PM
I made roasted vegetables last night and the green beans turned out awesome! They were definitely the biggest hit of the vegetables I roasted. They were like candy! All I did was put olive oil and salt on them.