PDA

View Full Version : Noise sensitive DC

jgenie
01-08-2013, 02:43 PM
A few months ago we went to the zoo and they had one of those trailers that shows a movie for a few minutes. They had Polar Express and DS1 is crazy about trains so we thought he would enjoy the show. I had no idea it was a 4D show. It was loud and there was smoke. DS1 said it was too loud as soon as it started. He repeated himself so we gathered our stuff and were out of the trailer very quickly. A few weeks later we went to a Laurie Berkner show. The show started with Rocketship Run and DS1 said it was too loud and asked to leave. We tried to settle him but he insisted it was too loud so DH took him out. DS1 went to a Laurie Berkner concert last year and had no trouble with it. Should I be worried? Follow up with a doctor of some sort?

We have a trip to WDW planned for next month. Any ideas on something I could pack in my backpack that we could put on his ears if he decides something is too loud? We could take him out of wherever we are but I thought we might be able to find something to try before having him leave. Any thoughts??

In case it matters DC have limited TV viewing. They watch about 30 mins of a DVD most days. DVDs include Thomas, Cars, Mater Tales, Bob the Builder, Handy Manny, and have seen Sesame Street in the past.

TIA

crl
01-08-2013, 02:51 PM
My ds had some sensory issues, including being very sensitive to loud noises. We had the Peltor sound blocking ear muffs for him: http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/peltor-kid-earmuffs.html. (Not recommending that website necessarily--just the first one I pulled off google.)

He used those for a couple of years and they allowed him to tolerate public restrooms and go to the movies and MLB games. He eventually stopped using them of his own volition and at age nine doesn't seem to have any lingering sensitivity to noise.

Catherine

georgiegirl
01-08-2013, 02:55 PM
My kids are pretty sensitive to noise, and we got them similar earmuffs so we could go to a monster truck show, and it worked out great. Previously, we had tried to take the kids to an IMAX show and it was a no go. My kids even wear their earmuffs when they are annoyed that the other one is crying too much...lol. I had originally tied earplugs, which would have worked for the 6.5 year old, but I knew my 3 year old would not go for it. So, definitely the peltor earmuffs. I got mine from amazon.

wildfire
01-08-2013, 03:06 PM
We have earmuffs for both girls that we take with when we think we might need them. They both used them when we did the 4th of July and DD1 needed them at the Fresh Beat Band concert. She had a great time, she just needed it a little quieter. I don't think DD2 actually has trouble with loud sounds, I think she is more into imitating big sis who does.

If we don't have the ear muffs and we can convince DD1 to relax and let her ears adjust, she ends up doing fine. We've had a couple of experiences where she started by saying it was too loud but she was find after 5 minutes or so. If we can't convince her to uncover her ears, she has trouble the whole time.

rlu
01-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Remember those cute pictures of Drew Brees with his son after the Superbowl and the kid had ear protection on? That's what the peltor earmuffs are like. We got a set for DS at local Sportsman store.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/07/drew-brees-son-baylen-cel_n_452946.html

eta: DS did not see a movie in the theater until he was maybe 7 or so? Whenever Gnomeo & Juliet came out - he was invited to a b-day party at the movies so DH took him the day before to make sure DS was ready for the experience since my previous trial (Shrek 4) DS said was too loud. Like PP below, DS does not enjoy karate class as he does not like the yelling. OTH, he went to a PumpItUp party on Sunday and had a great time despite the noise. I don't think he has significant issues that hold him back, he just doesn't like loud things.

wellyes
01-08-2013, 03:50 PM
I don't think it's unusual or worrisome for a 4 year old (or 2 year old) to find a concert and a 3D/4D movie too loud. I don't think it necessarily means there are sensory issues. Those are all just loud places!
Earmuffs are a good idea.

maestramommy
01-08-2013, 03:50 PM
My kids are like this too. Different things set them off, but the underlying issue is it's a combo of very loud sustained noise and random activity bordering on chaos. First DD1 had a really hard time with large group playdates when she was an infant. It took almost 2 years before she would enjoy herself, and it was usually easier if we were outdoors, where the noise and energy is somewhat dissipated. I remember being shocked when I took her to a Bounce U party when she was 4, and she had a great time. So it does get better.

NONE of my kids have like TKD, also for this reason, even though they seemed to like specific parts of it. The class itself just didn't work them. DD1 also hated Camp Invention, more of the same.

DD3 cried for almost 2 roundtrips on the plane between here and Detroit. On the final leg she finally (at 2yo) said to me that it was too loud, too noisy.

We have hearing protectors, the Peltor ones pp have posted about, and I am bringing them along when we fly to CA in the summer. Our neighbor borrowed them for their kids for Disney on Ice. Loved them so much they got their own pairs.

My kids have very limited TV viewing, almost all of it is pretty tame, with the volume fairly moderate, so we have not gone to a movie yet. However, Dh did take DD1 to an Imax showing of Antarctica last year at the Aquarium, and she really enjoyed it.

♥ms.pacman♥
01-08-2013, 03:55 PM
my almost 3yo DS is VERY sensitive to sound (he runs and hides at the mere mention o vacuum cleaner, or when he sees me about to use a blender) and the childsize Peltor earmuffs are a godsend! Useful for 4th July fireworks, airshows, etc as well.

sidmand
01-08-2013, 03:57 PM
We have the same headphones/ear muffs PPs linked to. Both DCs have sensitive hearing. DS had it moreso but has mostly outgrown it. Concerts, touch a trucks (hugely bad idea, mommy!), movies, etc. when I remember them the ear muffs are a life saver!

infomama
01-08-2013, 04:11 PM
One really awesome part of the unofficial guide to wdw is that it describes every attraction/show in detail including information on duration/special effects that may startle and loud music, etc. i would highly recommend getting the book...i bought the kindle version and referenced it many times last fall.