PDA

View Full Version : Help me design a mommy necklace for a close friend (Update: ordered finally!)

brittone2
01-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Little update: I did end up ordering; I went with the LL open circle necklace that mom2224 linked to. I added a pearl, went with his name on the front and requested they put 1 Sam 1:27 on the back. I thought that might be more subtle than the full verse; not sure she would have a strong opinion either way, and I know that will be meaningful to her.

Thank so much for the help. I am really looking forward to giving it to her...something I've been waiting to do for a looooong time.
================================================== ================================================== =========

My dear friend gave me a beautiful mommy necklace at my baby shower with DS1. She knew what we went through to have DS1, and in fact, I called her when I got my BFP before I called DH at work.

After a long struggle with IF, she recently adopted domestically.

I've been waiting a long time to give her a mommy necklace. The shower is on somewhat short notice because things happened very quickly for them. I only have until the end of January as a result, which makes some custom options a little trickier.

My friend has a really deep faith, and I wanted to do some sort of design and put 1 Samuel 1:27 on the back of a disc ("For this child I prayed.")

Lisa Leonard gave me this option that could be stamped on the back, but I'm not wild about the heart for my friend.

http://www.lisaleonardonline.com/Marked-By-Love-Necklace-P395C118.aspx

She also suggested this one http://www.lisaleonardonline.com/chosen-adoption-necklace-P417.aspx, which has an adoption verse. (chosen. to belong.to be loved.). I could get his name on the ring charm. I would not be able to fit 1 Sam 1:27 as it is too many characters, but I could squeeze 1:Sam1:27 all squished together w/ no spaces on a tag (8 character max). Or, I could do 1 Sam on the small little disk and 1:27 on another separate charm, and then his name on the vertical tag.

If she does not want to display the verse (although I think she'd like it), etc. she could take that charm off.

Any other ideas of how you'd configure it? If I skip the 1 Sam 1:27 verse, anything else you'd add to personalize the other tags, or skip them entirely.

This is a really special friend who has waited a long time to be a mommy. She's an amazing person. I've already sent a baby gift to their home as they didn't get to have a shower beforehand, and I know they needed everything, and on short notice. I really want to do something special for *her*, and I've wanted to reciprocate with a mommy necklace for her for a long time, but couldn't. Until now. Like I said though, some of my custom options are limited by the tighter time frame.

I'd like to keep it under $100 since I gave another baby gift already and will still pick up something for him to take to the shower, so Lisa Leonard is a good price point.

queenmama
01-08-2013, 06:21 PM
How wonderful!!

What about something like this? There's a disk for a verse and a charm for his name, and it even has a cross charm:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/74414545/bible-verse-necklace-mother-personalized

Lara

kristac
01-08-2013, 06:55 PM
http://www.etsy.com/listing/91409921/mothers-necklace-for-this-child-i-prayed?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=1+samuel+1+27&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_includes%5B0%5D=tags&ga_search_type=handmade

This one is my fav:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/93308274/personalized-adoption-necklace?ref=sr_gallery_9&ga_search_query=adoption+necklace&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_ref=auto6&ga_search_type=all

http://www.etsy.com/listing/70847546/hand-stamped-personalized-silver?ref=sr_gallery_7&ga_search_query=for+this+child+i+have+prayed&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_ref=auto1&ga_search_type=handmade

http://www.etsy.com/listing/105224406/for-this-child-i-have-prayed?ref=sr_gallery_11&ga_search_query=for+this+child+i+have+prayed&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_ref=auto1&ga_search_type=handmade

MamaMolly
01-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Lisa Leonard gave me this option that could be stamped on the back, but I'm not wild about the heart for my friend.

http://www.lisaleonardonline.com/Marked-By-Love-Necklace-P395C118.aspx

After reading the description of this necklace I would NOT buy it for your friend. Although it is lovely, if she goes on line to see the jewelry line she might get creeped out to have mourning jewelry for her new DD.

brittone2
01-08-2013, 08:39 PM
After reading the description of this necklace I would NOT buy it for your friend. Although it is lovely, if she goes on line to see the jewelry line she might get creeped out to have mourning jewelry for her new DD.
Yeah, I wasn't wild about it anyway, as it just isn't her style. I didn't even read the description but ruled it out as I don't think it would be as much her taste as the other one. After reading the description, definitely not! Thanks for pointing that out, because it would have been rough to miss it...just in case. I think they pointed it out to me as it is one of their necklaces that can be stamped on the back; most cannot.

icunurse
01-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Would you consider just doing one that says "Mommy"? I know after our struggles with IF and adoption, that was the one thing that I loved to hear the best. Plus there are lots of Mommy necklaces out there, like the etsy ones that have a disc and the birthstone, maybe the child's name. If you don't do the child's name, you can always gift additional birthstones if she's continues to build her family.

FWIW, as someone who has adopted, I hate the whole "chosen" thing and I know a lot of other people who do, too. My children weren't chosen by me. If anything, we were chosen by their birthparents to be parents. Sorry, not trying to be a downer, but that word turns off a lot of people. I personally don't like to be treated differently than any other Mom.

I am not religious, but I do like the verse you posted. :)

WatchingThemGrow
01-08-2013, 09:31 PM
What about this one? http://www.etsy.com/listing/112007644/hand-stamped-grandma-necklace?ref=sr_gallery_12&ga_search_query=grandma+necklace&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all Instead of all the names, she can probably put the verse in there.

We got 2 of these for 2 grandmas this Christmas, and they LOVE them! Maybe contact her and see how fast she can ship one out since the rush is over.

indigo99
01-08-2013, 09:49 PM
I don't know if she can do a quick turnaround, but I HIGHLY recommend contacting the etsy seller who made my necklace that's similar to this one (http://www.etsy.com/listing/63534502/double-hammered-circle-pendant-with). I know that some of the "artists" just hammer down washers that they buy and stamp words on them, but this lady really makes beautiful jewelry that is much nicer than most of the others I looked at. She also sold it to me without the chain so that I could choose my own locally (which put it under $100). What I love is that you can wear it backward and not show any of the text if you choose. She also has less expensive options, but I LOVE LOVE my necklace.

khm
01-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Would you consider just doing one that says "Mommy"? I know after our struggles with IF and adoption, that was the one thing that I loved to hear the best. Plus there are lots of Mommy necklaces out there, like the etsy ones that have a disc and the birthstone, maybe the child's name. If you don't do the child's name, you can always gift additional birthstones if she's continues to build her family.

FWIW, as someone who has adopted, I hate the whole "chosen" thing and I know a lot of other people who do, too. My children weren't chosen by me. If anything, we were chosen by their birthparents to be parents. Sorry, not trying to be a downer, but that word turns off a lot of people. I personally don't like to be treated differently than any other Mom.

I am not religious, but I do like the verse you posted. :)

I have not adopted, but I was thinking this too. My friends who have adopted also have birth children, and I know from that angle, they dislike the distinction being made at all.

I think just plain "mom" would mean the world. Obviously, you are the one who knows her, but something to consider. The whole adoption angle will be..... I don't know the right word.... "focused" on a lot by many well-meaning people. It might mean something special to her for that to NOT be "focused" on, maybe??

TxCat
01-08-2013, 10:00 PM
I have not adopted, but I was thinking this too. My friends who have adopted also have birth children, and I know from that angle, they dislike the distinction being made at all.

I think just plain "mom" would mean the world. Obviously, you are the one who knows her, but something to consider. The whole adoption angle will be..... I don't know the right word.... "focused" on a lot by many well-meaning people. It might mean something special to her for that to NOT be "focused" on, maybe??

:yeahthat: I agree with this sentiment - maybe she will love that you are just recognizing her as a new mom, and not as an adoptive mom.

ray7694
01-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Another option that isn't too trendy:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/76801540/smokey-quartz-bezel-set-necklace

brittone2
01-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the input, everyone. I was not 100 percent sure on the chosen thing myself; my true preference would be something stamped with his name or initial and then the verse on the back. Your input has definitely helped me think about why I felt a bit of hesitation on that...I think I'm just anxious to get something ordered due to the tight time frame.

I like some of the etsy suggestions. I checked with her mom and she wears primarily silver at this point, so I'd need something in that metal. I get nervous about ordering from etsy and having someone flake out with the short time frame. It might be my best option though. I contacted a few etsy sellers this morning to see what their turnaround might be.

mom2224
01-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Beth, I have this from Lisa Leonard:

http://www.lisaleonardonline.com/sterling-open-circle-necklace-P149C45.aspx

It is the open circle necklace. Mine is sterling. It is priced $130, but with a % off coupon you could get it close to $100. The circle in sterling can be stamped on both sides 27 characters each. Your bible verse is 23 spaces. Mine has all 3 of boys names on one side and their brithdates on the back. You could put his name on one side and the verse on the other. I LOVE MINE and get so many compliments on it. It is very classic! I didn't add the pearl to keep the cost down and don't miss it.

The pewter pieces are less expensive, but the chains that come with are plated. And, the pewter open circle necklace can only be stamped on one side.

I can post or PM you a picture if you want. HTH

brittone2
01-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Beth, I have this from Lisa Leonard:

http://www.lisaleonardonline.com/sterling-open-circle-necklace-P149C45.aspx

It is the open circle necklace. Mine is sterling. It is priced $130, but with a % off coupon you could get it close to $100. The circle in sterling can be stamped on both sides 27 characters each. Your bible verse is 23 spaces. Mine has all 3 of boys names on one side and their brithdates on the back. You could put his name on one side and the verse on the other. I LOVE MINE and get so many compliments on it. It is very classic! I didn't add the pearl to keep the cost down and don't miss it.

The pewter pieces are less expensive, but the chains that come with are plated. And, the pewter open circle necklace can only be stamped on one side.

I can post or PM you a picture if you want. HTH

THat would be perfect I think. I just contacted them about whether it could be stamped on the back (eta: doh! I see now that it can right on the page. I am going to plead brain fog due to this cold I'm coming down with LOL). THe price isn't a big issue...I just want to be closer to 100 than well over, iykwim.

I love that I could do either the verse itself or just have it stamped with 1 Sam 1:27...might be good since it is more subtle.

Thanks for sharing, and good to know on the pewter. That line didn't come out until after we purchased my LL necklace, so I have no experience with it.

I really appreciate the suggestion. I wish they had offered up what could be stamped on the back when I asked. That was part of why I had myself spinning into confusion over what to get. I really wanted to do just do something simple and classic with 1 Sam 1:27 stamped on the back.

brittone2
01-09-2013, 11:36 AM
I ended up ordering the LL silver open circle necklace. Thanks mom2224 for pointing that option out-I had totally missed that one could be customized on the back. When I asked which ones could possibly be stamped on the back, I wish they had pointed that one out to me. I've been trying to take care of this with 3 kids underfoot and a cold, so my brain is definitely not operating well!

I ended up adding the pearl, put his name on the back, and asked to have 1 Sam 1:27 on the back (just printed like that, not the actual verse). I found a code online, so shipped it is just over 125, which is fine. SHe's well worth it :love-retry:

Thanks so much for helping me out, ladies. I contacted a few etsy sellers this morning but was nervous about turnaround time. One said she's currently running 5-6 weeks for delivery, but could probably squeeze me in if I ordered today. I was nervous it wouldn't happen in time.

MamaMolly
01-09-2013, 01:19 PM
I ended up adding the pearl, put his name on the back, and asked to have 1 Sam 1:27 on the back (just printed like that, not the actual verse). I found a code online, so shipped it is just over 125, which is fine. SHe's well worth it :love-retry:

:applause: I think she is really going to love it!

brittone2
01-09-2013, 01:25 PM
:applause: I think she is really going to love it!
THanks! I'm glad that you guys helped guide me and articulated what kind of made me hold back about the chosen saying. I am happy that I was able to find something classic, and I kind of like keeping the verse close to her heart and more subtle by having it on the back. She can keep that private if she wants to, iykwim.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I was trying to look at sites yesterday with all 3 kids around plus a nasty cold starting up. I wasn't in the right frame of mind to focus on it like I wanted to...having everyone help with suggestions was wonderful.

You guys are the best. :grouphug:

khm
01-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Lovely!