PDA

View Full Version : would you forfeit swimming for infant due to flu epidemic ?

lmh2402
01-08-2013, 08:57 PM
DD just started her swim class this past sunday. we're taking her and DS to the same school - lucked out that their classes overlap.

my mother called me tonight freaking out that i should be dropping out of swimming for DD b/c "she's so little and the flu is everywhere!"

what do you think? i know it's bad this year. but these classes are really expensive and there are no refunds.

ugh.

wwyd?

GvilleGirl
01-08-2013, 09:06 PM
If it was me I'd keep going as long as she is health and is liking it. (But I come from a swimming family so they would look at me crazy if I stopped my kids from swimming for the flu.)

AngB
01-08-2013, 09:09 PM
I wouldn't. It's not like she's mouthing on stuff or kids there. I would think that chlorine in the pool would kill the virus but not sure. I think she's more likely to get sick from your DS bringing it home from other kids.

daisymommy
01-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Unless you are going to keep her home from everywhere, there really is no point. I don't think, exposure in the water is very li Kelly either.

Sent from my iPad

lmh2402
01-08-2013, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't. It's not like she's mouthing on stuff or kids there. I would think that chlorine in the pool would kill the virus but not sure. I think she's more likely to get sick from your DS bringing it home from other kids.

yes, agree about the chlorine. and/but, they do have little toys/ducks that she was trying to chew on during last class

and yes, same thoughts re: DS bringing stuff home. just learned that one of his classmates actually was home with flu today

ugh

♥ms.pacman♥
01-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Unless you are going to keep her home from everywhere, there really is no point.

:yeahthat:

I never kept my kids home from swim class, even when they had colds/runny noses. I have seen other toddlers/babies taking lessons puke in the same pool my kids were in, and they never caught anything from it. Like other PP said, the chlorine there kills the germs.

FWIW, my mom makes the SAME kind of comments and it's a little irritating honestly. She's the same kind of person who would lecture me on not putting a jacket on on my kids (and it will be 60 degrees outside or something ridiculous).

Momit
01-08-2013, 09:17 PM
I would still go. DS started infant swimming lessons during the height of flu season several years ago. Like PP said, it's not possible to keep them away from everything. I know the flu seems to be worse this year - DS never gets sick but it hit him this year - I think left the house 3 times in the last 2 weeks of December while he was home sick!

ETA I did bring him to swimming when he was sick a few weeks ago, he coughed so hard he threw up all over himself and the pool deck right before the lesson started. I thought he just had the last remnants of a cold then, I had no idea he'd be sick for over 2 weeks and end up on abx. So if DD does get sick I would think about keeping her home but it's only prevention you have in mind I'd still go.

SnuggleBuggles
01-08-2013, 09:19 PM
No. You'd have to stay in isolation to avoid germs; swimming is just one of the places germs would be. You have to keep living life and just wash your hands a lot. :)

sewarsh
01-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Did you tell your Mom that she could also catch the flu from a shopping cart? Will you stop going grocery shopping with her too??

Seems a bit excessive IMO!

edurnemk
01-08-2013, 09:27 PM
FWIW, my mom makes the SAME kind of comments and it's a little irritating honestly. She's the same kind of person who would lecture me on not putting a jacket on on my kids (and it will be 60 degrees outside or something ridiculous).

My mom is the same, she borders on paranoid, any little breeze is going to make my kids catch a cold according to her. So I don't take her warnings seriously. I only listen to our Ped and discuss any worries / concerns with him. I always joke that my mom would've died if she'd seen me walking outside with 5 week old DS in the Chicago winter.

I would not forfeit the lessons, she's more likely to be exposed in a crowded place, through her brother, etc.

georgiegirl
01-08-2013, 09:56 PM
Unless there's a kid puking or having the runs in the pool, you should be fine. My DS did get a GI bug from drinking too much pool water at disney. I think that's the most likely source of getting sick from a pool.

doberbrat
01-09-2013, 01:20 AM
Did you tell your Mom that she could also catch the flu from a shopping cart? Will you stop going grocery shopping with her too??

Well, I NEVER EVER put my girls in a shopping cart due to the germs. But, I did keep them in swim classes year round most of the time. Chlorine = bleach so it will kill at least some of the germs. But, I would make sure that the pool/shower area is warm enough. I did pull dd1 out for one winter b/c she'd been sick alot the term before and the pool pool area & shower werent particularily warm.