PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of dishes, if you have Fiestaware...

ourbabygirl
01-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Would you be willing to describe what pieces you have?

I've read through old threads here to get an idea of what colors are everyone's favorites, but I'm wondering what individual pieces would be most worthwhile.

I definitely want the dinner plates and probably the luncheon ones, too (at least a few for the kids, who are 2 and 4). But then I'm not sure which bowls to get and whether or not to get mugs (I'd get the Java ones). We mostly use our (Crate & Barrel white) bowls right now for cereal, and occasionally soup. I did buy 7 or 8 fruit bowls to use for side dishes for the kids, to see how I like Fiesta ware, and to make sure it fits in our dishwasher.

I don't want to do a traditional 4-piece setting that you can find in a department store because I don't think I want the salad plate, the teacup, or the saucer.

This was recommended here before:
http://www.zestydishes.com/servlet/the-564/Fiesta®-Dinnerware-Four-dsh-Piece-Place/Detail
and I think it would be a great alternative, but I'm not sure how much we would actually use the bowls or the mugs (or if there's a better size/ shape bowl to get). Also not sure if this is a good website to work with (though they seem like they'd have great customer service from their website), but the prices seem pretty good and I like how you can kind of custom order things.

Otherwise I'm thinking of getting just the dinner and luncheon plates right now from JCPenney. They're $11 and $10, which is cheaper than what I've found at Macy's (even with a sale) and Kohl's, and I like how they have a lot more in stock at JCP than at Macy's (at least the one I went to). But if I'm going to end up getting the mugs and bowls anyhow, then I should probably buy them in a set.
I'd like to get some soon for an upcoming meal we're hosting, so I don't have time to wait around for a sale. :bag I'll call Zestydishes tomorrow to try to get an idea how fast they can ship them out, otherwise I'll just buy some in-store. Do you know of any other places to look for a good price?

Last question- how many place settings do you have? I'd like to have 8 or so, eventually, but definitely 4 to start with for our family of 4. We don't do much entertaining now, but hope to do more when we move closer to family in the next year or so. We do have china from our wedding, but never use it (it's actually packed up in boxes in the basement since we don't have room for it in our china cabinets). I like how this stuff is more colorful, fun, and casual. :)

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks in advance for your help!

Cam&Clay
01-08-2013, 09:30 PM
I have the 4 piece sets, one of each of 9 colors they offer at Kohl's right now. I think I have all but black, white, brown, and cream. Love the rainbow of color in my cabinet!

georgiegirl
01-08-2013, 09:51 PM
I have 8 4 piece sets (with mugs not tea cups.). I also got 8 fruit bowls and 4 gusto bowls. My kids LOVE the fruit bowls. I just got my set in early December, so I haven't had it long. I got 8 different colors. So much fun,

elbenn
01-08-2013, 09:55 PM
I love the pedestal serving bowls. They are great for a variety of things and so pretty.

mom2khj
01-08-2013, 10:09 PM
We have the four piece place settings in 6 different colors (2 of each). I think it's the same one you linked to?

The only piece we don't use often is the salad plate. But it does come in handy for desserts.

I got a steal on them from Macy's. They had them B1G1 free and I was able to stack a 20% coupon on them. I think when I calculated it, it came out to 11/placesetting!

In addition to those we have several pedestal serving bowls and bread serving bowls. They are great for large dinners/gatherings for serving things. I also have the large pasta bowl, a pitcher and a gravy boat. The serving pieces are all an assortment of colors. I love my Fiestaware!

ETA - oh and we have some jumbo mugs too. Great for soup/chili!

athompson
01-08-2013, 10:32 PM
I only have the teacups and saucers, but I love them. I have 18 different colors (matching sets for cups and saucers) and they are GREAT for little kids. I serve milk, hot chocolate and soup in the teacups (perfect serving for kids) and I serve snacks on the saucers. Not conventional I'm sure, but very functional. We use a plain Ikea white set for dinner plates, salad plates and bowls.

AngelaS
01-08-2013, 11:08 PM
I have dinner plates, salad plates, soup/cereal bowls and java mugs. I originally bought two each of six colors. Then I added two more colors. Then I found four plates at a garage sale and four more at goodwill. So I'm up to....24 plates. I think I have 18 bowls. :)

I also have a platter which I love. I've considerd some serving bowls too but I also have some vintage Pyrex pieces I mix in.

I bough try original pieces on sale from Macy's.

JBaxter
01-08-2013, 11:40 PM
I have the mugs. They are to small for me. I got 4 Latte mugs for christmas and LOVE them for my coffee/ tea. http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1095554/fiesta-latte-mug.jsp

I have 20 plates 5 colors, Salad plates bowls and saucers for the mugs. Gusto bowls are great for soups
http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1095532/fiesta-gusto-bowl.jsp
Love http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1161868/fiesta-pedestal-bowl.jsp
and we use these for kids icecream/ pudding etc http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1095451/fiesta-fruit-bowl.jsp
I have the canisters and some other serving pieces.

quinnsmom
01-08-2013, 11:52 PM
The Chili bowls are my absolute favorite. Very versatile. If I had to do it over again I wouldnt buy the 5 piece set - just individual pieces. We really don't use the mugs, tea cups or the cereal bowls. And I love the medium plates - I think they are the salad plates. Great for lunch and for the kids size-wise. And of course we use the dinner plates daily.

http://m.macys.com/shop/product/fiesta-chili-bowl?ID=72307&CategoryID=7923&cm_mmc=bazaarvoice-_-RLP-_-72307-_-productname_link

kijip
01-09-2013, 12:23 AM
We just purchased the 4 piece 4 place setting set from zesty dishes with the dinner plates, salad plates, medium bowls and we swapped the 4 mugs out for 4 small tumblers instead. We bought four different colors, 1 for each of us. T picked the turquoise and F the peacock blue. We got scarlet red and shamrock green for us. The dinner plates are not too large for us. Salad plates are ok for light meals and snacks. We use bowls more mornings than not for hot or cold cereals or yogurt with fruit etc. I knew I didn't want the mugs. I don't like any mug with a small handle, so we swapped on the tumblers and while small they are a great way of rationing caloric drinks like juice and milk. We still have big glasses for water and such. If we like them after using for awhile we can add extras. I may get the chili bowls for soup next. Zesty dishes will let you sub things on sets.

KrystalS
01-09-2013, 11:42 AM
I have dinner plates, salad plates, soup/cereal bowls and java mugs. I originally bought two each of six colors. Then I added two more colors. Then I found four plates at a garage sale and four more at goodwill. So I'm up to....24 plates. I think I have 18 bowls. :)

I also have a platter which I love. I've considerd some serving bowls too but I also have some vintage Pyrex pieces I mix in.

I bough try original pieces on sale from Macy's.

How much do the java mugs hold? I've using travel mugs because I can't find coffee mugs I like that hold enough coffee.

kristenk
01-09-2013, 11:58 AM
We have all of the stuff in the set you linked!

We have:
dinner plates
luncheon plates
medium bowls
java mugs
saucers - can't tell which size
fruit bowls

The saucers get a lot of use. We use them for desserts and other small items. They're a nice size.

We got the fruit bowls as a set. There might have been 4 in a set and then we bought 2 extra, but i'm not sure.

We're pretty flexible with colors. We have a lot of colors. We don't necessarily have the same set of colors in luncheon plates that we have in mugs that we have in etc. It works for us. It was really nice when we were building our stash b/c I could take advantage of different sales I saw.

AngelaS
01-09-2013, 05:04 PM
How much do the java mugs hold? I've using travel mugs because I can't find coffee mugs I like that hold enough coffee.

They hold a large Keurig serving. Plus a bit of room for creamer. :)

How's that for exact?

Globetrotter
01-09-2013, 05:32 PM
We have sets of dinner plates, salad plates, bowls and mugs or tea cups and saucers.

I find the tea cups are good for kids to have hot chocolate, etc.. but I rarely use them for us. The small mugs (at least the ones I have) have an uncomfortable handle so I don't use them those all that much. Saucers are rarely used but the dinner plates, salad plates and bowls are used all the time!

I love the bright colors. The dark ones show scratches more but it doesn't bother me as these are everyday plates. My favorite color is a spring green - so lively and fun!

MelissaTC
01-09-2013, 05:35 PM

OT but I use Starbucks mugs for coffee. They sell the tall, grande and venti. I drink out of a grande which holds up to 16 oz. it is perfect for the largest setting on my Platinum Keurig and creamer. My BIL drinks out of a venti mug.

I have an older version of this - http://www.starbucksstore.com/starbucks-modern-classic-mug-16-fl-oz/011016360,default,pd.html?cgid=cups-and-mugs

ourbabygirl
01-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks so much, Everyone! Do you know if the chili bowls stack? Or if there are other deep bowls that you would recommend that stack? Those seem like the best bet for us, but I'm open to other options.
:)

YouAreTheFocus
01-09-2013, 07:04 PM
We have 12 sets of the 4 piece place settings. 12 different colors. We got them 8+ years ago for our wedding. We love them and they have held up fabulously (one chip so far).

We use all 4 pieces everyday. Mugs for coffee, bowls for cereal or soup/stew, small plates for sandwiches/lunch, dinner plates...um, for dinner ;) I couldn't live w/o the bowls or either plate, love all those. I could live w/o the mug...I don't love the small handle or the small capacity, but we do use them. I'd like to upgrade to the java mug but can't really justify it!

We have one gusto bowl--I don't care for it b/c it is hard to carry. I like how the standard bowls have a lip, helpful for when you're carrying it full of hot soup.

Also have 6 of the small bowls (14.25 oz) these are good for kids and desserts (good size for a "reasonable" serving of ice cream :) ).

If I could do it again, I'd get the 4 pc w/ java mug...it wasn't available when we got our sets.