PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Amazon Item Question

maiaann
01-08-2013, 10:51 PM
I ordered two of these tubs of animal counters from Amazon during one of the holiday price drops (one for us; one for the gift closet).

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Tub-Animal-Counters-100/dp/B000T2YKIM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357698929&sr=8-1&keywords=Eureka+Tub+Of+Animal+Counters%2C+100+Coun ters

Immediately upon arrival, I noticed one was damaged (the tub is cracked - most likely from rough handling during shipment). I went online to do the return/replacement mess & I'm not sure if it's worth my troubles. Whether I order a replacement or request a refund, they want me to mail back the damaged tub. I haven't tried calling CS, but they're losing more than what I paid by having me send it back. It was only $5. What would you do? I thought about donating it, but I hate donating things that I didn't buy to donate! Or, any ideas for a cute replacement canister? Maybe I could combine both of these sets for twice the animals! Mostly I'm just annoyed that this could have been prevented had Amazon taken a little care in their packaging methods. This is not the first damaged item I've received from Amazon. They get into such a rush during the holiday season & just toss stuff haphazardly in a box. Last year I had a crushed doll, the year before, a broken tea set. All ended up donated. Sigh... :(

KrisM
01-08-2013, 10:54 PM
I'd return it and have them send a new one. They pay very little to ship. I used to sell on Amazon and I could send to Fulfilled by Amazon and ship 70lbs for about $8 via UPS because I was using their contract. So, it's pennies to have you ship it back.

elbert
I had the same experience with the same item....and have the same question! Interested in how others weigh in...

newnana
Call them. Their customer service has won me over a hundred times. I'm bowled over by their customer service. Or do the option for them to call you. Either way, talk to a rep, they will hear your concerns and come up with a solution that works for you both. Good luck!

ett
01-08-2013, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't go through the hassle of returning for a $5 item. I'd just put the counters in another container.

maiaann
01-08-2013, 11:01 PM
I had the same experience with the same item....and have the same question! Interested in how others weigh in...

So, you received a cracked canister too? Boo! I'm also afraid my "replacement" canister will also arrive damaged. The never-ending headache...

Mommy2Abby
01-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Contact them either via email or chat. I did that for a damaged item, and they were great.

WatchingThemGrow
01-08-2013, 11:29 PM
Iwouldn't go through the hassle of returning for a $5 item. I'd just put the counters in another container.
:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:
We actually DROPPED ours the first time DH touched it - when he was wrapping it. It broke. It broke again when DS opened it. DH said that he had a good idea of a small recyclable plastic container, but neither of us can remember wheat it was. I'll update when I remember.

The counters are precious in our house. Everyone loves them and use them for fun and for math.

Fulline
01-08-2013, 11:55 PM
The easiest thing to do is talk to Amazon via Live chat (just google it) they will either refund your money or send you a new item. I had a similar problem and I was just sent a replacement, didn't have to send anything back.

Suebell
01-09-2013, 12:48 AM
I'm sure they would exchange it quickly and easily, but personally I'd just put them in a new container. It looks like what my brown rice comes in. :-)
http://www.riceselect.com/texmati.aspx

SASM
01-09-2013, 02:31 AM
Thanks for this thread. I received something damaged from a "fulfilled by amazon" seller. Due to several searches, it looked like I could not exchange it despite the damage during shipping and could not find a phone number anywhere. I gave up. New hope in reading about live chat!! Will try tomorrow! Thanks!!

tzipora
01-09-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm sure they would exchange it quickly and easily, but personally I'd just put them in a new container. It looks like what my brown rice comes in. :-)
http://www.riceselect.com/texmati.aspx

:yeahthat:
I use those rice canisters too! They're great for small pieces from games, etc.

KHF
01-09-2013, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't bother with returning just for a cracked canister. I have a small Rubbermaid container that I use for cookies and other small treats like that. I'd just use that...or I have some couscous that came in a container similar to the PP's rice. To me, that canister wouldn't really be considered part of the product...just the delivery/packaging mode, not much above a box or something like that.

But my kids nearly always break the boxes/containers, so I have to put things in other containers anyway. I don't think we have a single intact puzzle box in the house.