PDA

View Full Version : S/O Girl Scout Cookies: Do you have to sell?

ha98ed14
01-09-2013, 11:06 AM
So we signed up to join the Daisy troop at our school. I went to the informational meeting, and they said that we would not be undertaking cookie sales this year because the group started so late. I breathed a sign of relief. I actually asked if we had to (eventually) participate in the Cookie sales at all when they do eventually bring it on. No one said, "Yes, you must." But now I feel I was perhaps wrong for asking. I was very honest and said that my reason was my own and my family's struggle with obesity. Just having them pass through my hands would be a temptation. I would have a hard time not eating other people's orders! (Sad!) I said I would be happy to write a check to contribute towards the cookie fund instead. Everyone seemed to think that was reasonable, but they are all new to GS like me except for two moms who are former GS. One of them was very gung ho and volunteered to be the cookie mom; she didn't say anything, but maybe she was being nice. WDYT? Surely there has to be a provision for people who cannot/ do not sell...

egoldber
01-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Troops do not have to sell cookie. Older DD's troop has and has not in various years.

And you can always opt not to sell cookies even if your troop does. Although honestly your DD may feel very left out if she does not and all the other girls are.

squimp
01-09-2013, 11:18 AM
I was cookie mom last year and in our troop you did not have to sell cookies. If DD wants to participate but you do not want cookies in your house, she could sell at the booth sales. We did a number of booth sales last year and for a few of the girls, that accounted for their only cookie sales. It did allow them to get some of the cookie rewards and participate.

happymomma
01-09-2013, 11:53 AM
I was cookie mom last year and in our troop you did not have to sell cookies. If DD wants to participate but you do not want cookies in your house, she could sell at the booth sales. We did a number of booth sales last year and for a few of the girls, that accounted for their only cookie sales. It did allow them to get some of the cookie rewards and participate.

Can I ask how the girls were able to get cookie rewards for those cookies that they sold at the cookie booth? I didn't know that they could count those as part of their sale...it would be awesome if they could count that.

squimp
01-09-2013, 12:01 PM
I divided up the sales by the number of girls and the number of hours worked. If we sold 100 boxes and two girls worked then they each got credit for selling 50 boxes.

kristenk
01-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Can I ask how the girls were able to get cookie rewards for those cookies that they sold at the cookie booth? I didn't know that they could count those as part of their sale...it would be awesome if they could count that.

I'm the cookie mom for DD's troop. I'm sure other people do it differently, but I just take the number of cookies sold at the booth and divide it by the number of girls who worked the booth. The girls should definitely get credit for selling at the booth!

Now, the girls are selling the troop's cookies at the cookie booths, not the cookies that they've ordered for themselves to sell. So the girls get credit for selling but booth sales don't actually reduce the number of boxes of cookies that they have on hand.

OP, DD's troop didn't sell at all as Daisies. The troop sold last year but one troop member opted out. That was fine with us. Selling wasn't required in any way. She was a little disappointed when we passed out the incentives that all of the other girls earned.

Twoboos
01-09-2013, 12:06 PM
I have to say, the incentives are really irritating. DD decided she wants the (edited) messenger bag and markers for 600 boxes. Of course she's sold 6 and will be horrified she's not getting it! The prizes are so crappy. (Although I admit I want the "Cookie Power" tshirt - it has a huge Samoa on it!)

We have to hit the n'hood this weekend!! We are way behind from last year.

ETA: The iPad is for selling 2400 boxes. Cuz I'm sure that happens.

wellyes
01-09-2013, 12:09 PM
They get iPads? Wow. Can I be a girl scout?
When I was a Scout, the rewards went to the troop! Clearly I was too early.

egoldber
01-09-2013, 12:09 PM
I also really hate the incentives. There is a way for the troop as a whole to opt out of the incentives and that is what older DD's troop does. The troop earns more money per box if you do that as well.

katerinasmom
01-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Our troop does not do booth sales. The girls sell individually. You can participate or not- it's your choice and there is no pressure from anyone to do so except from the girls themselves. My girls desperately want to sell cookies to everyone and anyone. I limit them to family and I take the order form to work for those who wait each year for GS cookies but don't have access to a scout or to a booth sale.

Just another thought - at least for our troop, people do not have to order for themselves. They can order cookies to be donated and sent directly to our active duty Troops. This may be a way for your kids to participate without the cookies passing through your hands. They can sell cookies solely to be donated for Operation Cookie (I think that's the name of it) and get the experience without the cookies going through your hands.

AnnieW625
01-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Cookie sales are not required for Daisy troops. :)

Last year the 2nd grade Brownie troop set a goal for each girl to sell $100 so they could get the cash to spend the night at the local aquarium with their mom or dad as a troop. I am much more find of those types of goals verses getting iPads and such. Another local troop went camping with their cookie funds.

Corie
01-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Here is my issue with girls who do not sell cookies. They aren't earning
money for the troop and without this money, we cannot do many of the
things that the girls expect to do.

We had one girl last year who didn't sell a single box of cookies. She also
didn't participate in any of the booth sales. So she contributed no money
to our troop. Yet, she still went camping with us, she still went to the overnight at the museum, etc.

My daughter went door-to-door and sold about 200 boxes of cookies and
she worked 4 cookie booths. My daughter's hard work paid for her extra
activities with the troop and basically, the other girl mentioned above.

So, this year, we are keeping a spreadsheet of how many boxes of cookies
are sold by each girl and we'll know how much money each girl has brought
in. When it comes time for all the fun cool activities, if you haven't earned
any money for the troop, then the parents must fund the cost.

Our troop leader really hated to keep track of each girl's "money" but she feels
that it is the only fair way. Otherwise, there will always be one or two girls in a troop who take advantage of the system and the other girls have to work
harder to pay for them.

egoldber
01-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Corie, our troop charges dues for activities like what you describe. Our troop uses the cookie money for extra activities and to help fund service projects and people can contribute in other ways to those activities.

Not everyone is able to go door to door. And what I have found is that school based troops often have many girls in the same neighborhood, so a neighborhood gets saturated. Girls below the Cadette level should not be going door to door alone, so kids IMO should not be penalized if their parents are not able to take them out or if they live in a non-cookie buying area.

squimp
01-09-2013, 02:25 PM
They get iPads? Wow. Can I be a girl scout?
When I was a Scout, the rewards went to the troop! Clearly I was too early.

I think I would buy my kid an iPad before I helped her sell 1000 cookies or whatever the situation. (where is that paper bag smilie)

Corie I understand what you are saying. In our troop I don't think kids are taking advantage of the situation. One mom works FT and she is really struggling and she just cannot take her DD out to sell. Another has several other kids and just can't manage to do extra selling beyond booths. At the brownie age I don't think the girls should be punished because their parents don't help them sell. Maybe once they get to the stage where the girls can go out on their own, I think it's fair to even everything out. Our troop leader doesn't do it otherwise.

ha98ed14
01-09-2013, 02:32 PM
So, this year, we are keeping a spreadsheet of how many boxes of cookies
are sold by each girl and we'll know how much money each girl has brought
in. When it comes time for all the fun cool activities, if you haven't earned
any money for the troop, then the parents must fund the cost.

I think this is very fair, and will be happy to foot the bill for whatever activities DD wants to do. I would also not be opposed to her doing a booth sale with other girls because the #^$% cookies will never pass through my hands.DD might learn a little confidence. I'd even chaperone a booth sale if needed.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad to know I'm not out of line for asking. As for the incentives, if they really are junk, then I will find an alternative "reward" for DD for her girl scout efforts.

redhookmom
01-09-2013, 02:55 PM
My daughters have sold as little as 10 and as many as 200 different years. Their troops do not keep track of who sells what. It is leader dependent.