PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Question

Charlie
01-09-2013, 12:40 PM
I'm considering getting the basic kindle. Some of the reviews indicate that their kindles stopped working a little after a year. So, I was just wondering, if you have a kindle, how long has it lasted? Did you buy the 2 year warrantee? Thanks!

Philly Mom
01-09-2013, 12:42 PM
I have had mine for over three years. I go on sprees where I read 4+ books a month and then read nothing for a couple months. On average, I am sure I have read more than a book a month over the past three years. My brother has had one as long and reads a book a month, possibly a bit less (he is a slower reader).

egoldber
01-09-2013, 12:44 PM
DH has had his Kindle for almost 3 years now. He reads a lot.

I got a basic Kindle last Christmas and I read several books a month. Never had a problem with mine.

I have never heard of Kindles failing after a year.

lil_acorn
01-09-2013, 12:45 PM
I have had mine for 2 years and it works fine. Used it a ton in the beginning (nursing my baby) and then go through stretches but probably read 1-2 books/month?

edurnemk
01-09-2013, 12:45 PM
I have the basic Kindle with keyboard and have had it for 2 years, it still works perfectly.

ETA: I did not buy the 2 year warranty

mik8
01-09-2013, 01:02 PM
I have the basic kindle with keyboard for 2 1/2 yrs. now and haven't had any issues at all. I do use it sporadically. Sometimes a read a ton in a month and then I store it for the whole next month. DD just had the basic k minus keyboard this last Christmas and hasn't had a problem so far (lots of usage). Never even thought about buying a warranty.

vonfirmath
01-09-2013, 01:31 PM
I'm considering getting the basic kindle. Some of the reviews indicate that their kindles stopped working a little after a year. So, I was just wondering, if you have a kindle, how long has it lasted? Did you buy the 2 year warrantee? Thanks!

Mine was bought Christmas 2011 and still works.

I bought the 2 yr warranty and figured that the price was excellent even if broke 2yr+1 day.

TwoBees
01-09-2013, 01:38 PM
I bought my basic Kindle at the end of 2011 and haven't had a problem. I read about 1 book/month. IMO, the warranty (at almost 1/3rd the price of the Kindle) is not worth it on a $69 item.

Charlie
01-09-2013, 01:59 PM
I bought my basic Kindle at the end of 2011 and haven't had a problem. I read about 1 book/month. IMO, the warranty (at almost 1/3rd the price of the Kindle) is not worth it on a $69 item.

That was my feeling on the price of the warranty, but of course I don't want to kick myself for not getting it (just my luck). Of course there are going to be problems with any product (the 1 star reviews) but wanted to see what "real" people (BBBers) thought :). I have some credit card rewards to cash in so the kindle will basically be free anyway.

Thanks all!

MaiseyDog
01-09-2013, 03:23 PM
I got my first kindle in June 2009 and it is still going strong. I read nightly and more on the weekends. I have not had any problems with it at all. I just upgraded to the Paperwhite 3G so that I could have the lit screen and DD1 is using my old Kindle. I do have a squaretrade warrenty on my Kindle because I like to read in the bath and I occasionally worry about dropping it in the water. I paid $35 for the 2 year warrenty with a coupon. If I had the basic model I would not have gotten the warrenty.

essnce629
01-09-2013, 10:07 PM
I got mine for Christmas last year and it's still going strong after the one year mark. Once, it did go all black and I freaked out thinking it had died since plugging it in did nothing, but I just did a quick googling online and found that all I needed to do was reset it-- which meant holding the power button on for 30 seconds. That did the trick and it's been fine ever since. I have no idea why it went all black like that, but resetting it brought everything back and all my books and stuff were perfectly fine. I love my kindle.

doberbrat
01-10-2013, 12:10 AM
I got mine for Christmas last year and it's still going strong after the one year mark. Once, it did go all black and I freaked out thinking it had died since plugging it in did nothing, but I just did a quick googling online and found that all I needed to do was reset it-- which meant holding the power button on for 30 seconds. That did the trick and it's been fine ever since. I have no idea why it went all black like that, but resetting it brought everything back and all my books and stuff were perfectly fine. I love my kindle.

:yeahthat: and I read ALOT sometimes a book a day.

boulemaman
01-10-2013, 12:19 AM
i got the original kindle back in 2007, and have never had a problem with it.

i read 2-3 books a month on it. the keyboard keys are wearing off, but that's been the only issue with it.

Kindra178
01-10-2013, 11:36 AM
I got a Kindle Keyboard two years ago in January 2011. It worked perfectly until last night, when it fell in the bathtub. My dh has the touch Kindle. It does not work perfectly on a regular basis.

sarahsthreads
01-10-2013, 12:15 PM
I have a two year old kindle keyboard - no issues, even though DD2 literally threw it across the room when she was barely 3. (For no reason other than she "wanted to." Um. OK.) I vaguely remember that once I had the same experience where I had to reset it. (This was before it got thrown across the room.) I read at least 2-3 books a month on it, maybe more depending on how busy I am with other stuff.

I now have a Paperwhite, and again (though it's only been two months) I have no issues. I like it a *lot*, especially in the official case that flips all the way around and turns the kindle on when you open it.

I honestly wouldn't bother with a warranty on something like this. (Though I have to say I'm *very* glad my FIL bought the service plan for DD1's DS - the touch screen stopped working after less than 8 months of very sporadic, non-abusive use.)

Sarah :)

Philly Mom
01-10-2013, 12:23 PM
I got a Kindle Keyboard two years ago in January 2011. It worked perfectly until last night, when it fell in the bathtub. My dh has the touch Kindle. It does not work perfectly on a regular basis.

Try putting the Kindle in a bag of dry rice. It may make it better.

doberbrat
01-10-2013, 12:28 PM

OH NO!! So sorry :( deff try the rice idea. and dont turn it on until you're SURE its dry.